.40 vs Body Armor

.40 vs Body Armor

This is a discussion on .40 vs Body Armor within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have always wanted a gun for fun, but could never justify it. But since the theater shooting in Colorado, Self Defense against nuts like ...

.40 vs Body Armor

I have always wanted a gun for fun, but could never justify it. But since the theater shooting in Colorado, Self Defense against nuts like that gave me all the justification I needed. I got a SIG250 Full, and SC in .40

Now, I have already narrowed down what I like for a soft target (Federal HST) but what about a soft target that's behind armor? If I ever run into a situation where I need to penetrate someone's armor to survive, is there a .40 round that would do it? Or is .40 not cut out for that kind of work?

Thanks

Handguns don't shoot through body armor. But they will give the guy wearing the armor a good beating. Even without poking holes in the guy you could literally beat him to death with your bullets. Internal bleeding can be as deadly as external.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

40 is a good round. I think you need a rifle ro reliably punch through body armor.

mcp1810 makes sense.

I am not an expert but from my understanding what is needed is velocity, lots of velocity I am guessing over 2000 ft/sec and above. Also combined that with low or small frontal area of the round. Which is why most of the time rifles are needed, however there are *some* handguns that can do it with the right type of ammo. Think of ammo such as 5.7 x 28, .22TCM, etc. Again I am not an expert nor do I pretend to be. I know someone will correct me if I am wrong. God Bless

A common misconception is that body armor somehow dissipates energy. It does not. Say your .40 load has 400 ft. Pds. of energy. That energy is still present in a very small area. The result of getting shot while wearing soft body armor is massive bruising, broken ribs etc. you can still be incapacitated

Sent via Mental Power

Links