Drop when fireing

This is a discussion on Drop when fireing within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure where to put this or even if I can ask the question right. Maybe you all can help me. I use my sr9c ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By barstoolguru
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By Cuda66
  • 1 Post By RKM

Thread: Drop when fireing

Drop when fireing

Not sure where to put this or even if I can ask the question right. Maybe you all can help me.

I use my sr9c to carry. I also go to the range each week to practice. As the weeks go by I want to move the target further and further out. One of my hunting friends asked me what the drop is on it. What? lol

From my understanding as I go further and further out I have to aim differently because the bullet is going to drop the further I go out.

I only use cheap stuff 119g blazer to practice. What do I need to know about drop and how many feet away do I have to be before this even becomes an issue?

Thank you so much still not sure I worded my question correctly.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

2. Remove Ads

If it's inside 50 yards...don't worry about it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

A search for "ballistic coefficient 9mm" on the internet brings up: Gundata.org 9mm Ballistics Chart.

Good enough for what you're needing, probably. Of course, specific rounds will vary based on the specific loading, bullet weight, length of barrel, air density, etc.

When noodling over rifle rounds, a decent calculator helps, ie: JBM Ballistics Calculators.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Stats say that most gun battles happen within 7 yards so drop is irrelevant. Someone mention 50 yards; chances of you hitting something moving or hiding at 50 yards are slim to none; so why take the chance of hitting someone else. It could be argued in court that there was no threat of death or injury at that distance
    jem102 likes this.

Tell him 18 inches at 25 yards,and that unless you use +p ammunition at 50 yards the bullet will bounce off the cardboard backing the target
    Fisher10 and Chevyguy85 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Tell him 18 inches at 25 yards,and that unless you use +p ammunition at 50 yards the bullet will bounce off the cardboard backing the target
    who said it was a HIM LOL
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Stats say that most gun battles happen within 7 yards so drop is irrelevant. Someone mention 50 yards; chances of you hitting something moving or hiding at 50 yards are slim to none; so why take the chance of hitting someone else. It could be argued in court that there was no threat of death or injury at that distance
    Speak for yourself Though not the best distance for a moving target I would never categorize it as "slim to none", We routinely used to train with moving targets at that distance. If you know the drop of your load then all you do is figure windage for the moving target. For a human target you practice for a walking person and a running person. So you already know your "lead". Not really a big deal.

I am not making a case for engaging targets at that distance with a handgun but it is not as hard as you make it seem.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Thank you for the answers.

I will tell my hunting friend ( who is a girl ) she is a guy lol.

I was talking at target practice, sorry I didn't make this clear enough in my statement, not really at hitting anyone at 50 or 100 yards. We were just wondering about the drop at the targets when you get that far away.

Thank you ccw for the site.

Some of the ranges I can go out to 75 feet at some 150 feet. That is only between 25 and 50 yards.

You can get this kind of info from nearly any ammo manufacturer's web site.

See the attached for some typical data for Federal 9mm FMJ. 115 and 124 gr loads drop an inch at 50 yards and about 9 inches at 100 yards, if zeroed at 25 yds. The heavier 147 gr drops 1.5 in at 50 and 11.5 in at 100, again based on a 25 yard zero.
    Attached Images
    Tayopo and SmokinFool like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    That is pure, unadulterated bull...er, nonsense.

If someone is shooting at me from 50 yards, I am most certainly in danger, and am perfectly justified in returning fire...and there is nothing wrong with practicing being able to do it.

Guess what--being accurate at longer ranges means being even more accurate at close range.
    Chevyguy85 and Tayopo like this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

RKM
    At pistol self-defense distances, bullet drop has never even crossed my mind.

.Ladies & Gentlemen: I agree with gasmitty & Cuda completely. The drop is negligible compared to your grouping at that distance. See accompanying target shot off hand - one hand - at 50 meters by my grand son after three weeks of instruction, concentrating on trigger control. Gun was a S&W combat masterpiece, 4" barrel with keith long range front sghts, 156 gr semi wadcutter @ about 800 fps.

3 Cylinders full were fired at the heart and the head each, total of 36 rounds, All were potentially lethal hits..With more practice he could reduce this, and extend hits to 400 meters easily

The tenedency of the groups to the right was due to side lighting on the front sight. The vertical stringing was due to using Bulseye which did not fill the case, hence different pressure between shots. This was cured by simply elevating the nose of the pistol each time before firing. This effect would never appear with combat rounds.

In the Border Patrol before becomng politically correct, due to the open country in the west, it was considered desireable to learn long range pistol shooting, it may become a necessity again

Don Jose de La Mancha

50 meter, off hand, single hand.jpg
    Last edited by Tayopo; September 16th, 2012 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You can get this kind of info from nearly any ammo manufacturer's web site.

See the attached for some typical data for Federal 9mm FMJ. 115 and 124 gr loads drop an inch at 50 yards and about 9 inches at 100 yards, if zeroed at 25 yds. The heavier 147 gr drops 1.5 in at 50 and 11.5 in at 100, again based on a 25 yard zero.
    Yep, the information is provided by all the major ammo makers for all (or nearly all) their products on their websites.

Links