Safety bullet- anyone seen this??

This is a discussion on Safety bullet- anyone seen this?? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Parents' responsibility is toward vigilance rather than purchase of gadgets. We controlled our dedicated self-defense firearms at all times when our two boys were small ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Safety bullet- anyone seen this??

Parents' responsibility is toward vigilance rather than purchase of gadgets. We controlled our dedicated self-defense firearms at all times when our two boys were small and we began their training early. By the time they were old enough to be meddlesome they were familiar with firearms and the house rules. Firearms were no big deal to them. We never had a problem though we also never relaxed our responsibility to control guns' accessibility.

Exactly 30 years ago this month. The eldest at 4 months old inspecting a .44-40 Colt Single Action Army with dad.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2. Remove Ads

I guess a safe or immediate control ,not to mention teaching your kids gun safety is too hard,lets take the easy way out and make a device that if somebody needs their gun and fires a round without thinking they will now have a hammer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Parents' responsibility is toward vigilance rather than purchase of gadgets. We controlled our dedicated self-defense firearms at all times when our two boys were small and we began their training early. By the time they were old enough to be meddlesome they were familiar with firearms and the house rules. Firearms were no big deal to them. We never had a problem though we also never relaxed our responsibility to control guns' accessibility.

Exactly 30 years ago this month. The eldest at 4 months old inspecting a .44-40 Colt Single Action Army with dad.

He looks like he is thinking "So this is where my college money went"
    pgrass101 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I suppose it may work for people who are new to guns and have a family who is unfamiliar with safety procedures (or just have snot-nosed kids who don't follow instructions). Talk about a false sense of security, though, when they run out or forget to load one after they shoot. I was raised with a reverence for firearms and plan on instilling the same in my kids from day 1.

Side-bar, though, what exactly is that doing to the barrel when it expands? Would it harm the rifling at all?

I don't have a handgun for HD or CCW that even ues a traditional safety. I want to draw and shoot if needed without having to manipulate anything else. I damn sure wouldn't use anything that could lock up my gun and make it useless. The demonstration shows if everything goes right you still need both hands available to cycle the slide to eject the safety bullet. I wouldn't carry unchambered for the same reason. A good holster if on my body and a good handgun safe for HD is all that I need.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Looks a bit gimmicky... and if I want to disable a firearm rather than secure it in a safe, I'll just use one of those padlock with a cable things that came with my XDs that goes through the action and the barrel. That way I won't forget and stuff it in my holster.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    With every pack of Safety Bullet's purchased you get a free sign to hang on your door that says, "I'm to stupid to own a gun, please steal mine".
    joker1 and msgt/ret like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

livewire, I agree with you.

I have small children, we are working on respecting firearms as I did as a kid. I see this guys car all over town with safety bullet.com sticker and have always wondered what it was....

Quote Originally Posted by OneSilverT View Post
    I think the inventor/ owner lives in the same town as me, Panama City.

The video is interesting, but not sold on it.
    It's a dummy bullet. Maybe instead just don't leave a loaded weapon unattended. Not cambering a round is also an option. There's a new fangled device called a "trigger lock" that might work, also. Just sayin.

Seriously though, if you have one, you like it, no problem. God bless.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    It's a dummy bullet. Maybe instead just don't leave a loaded weapon unattended. Not cambering a round is also an option.
    The idea is that if someone tries to fire it, this "safety round" will disable the gun until it's disassembled and removed.

I still disagree with it, but I can see where they're coming from.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    The idea is that if someone tries to fire it, this "safety round" will disable the gun until it's disassembled and removed.

I still disagree with it, but I can see where they're coming from.
    Sure. Hey I'm just in a snarky mood. If folks have the safety bullet and like it, no problem. It's just not for me. I either have a live round in the chamber and the weapon on my person, or the gun is unloaded and locked away. For me, a trick bullet would only get in my way, maybe even prevent me from defending myself if the bullet were in the tube and I forgot in the heat of the moment. I'm a big fan of basic trigger locks and closet safes. If others like the bullet, God bless them. I can't really hate on someone for trying to be safe.

I can't trust that its loaded in the chamber. More than once I've racked an "Empty" gun and have been shocked when a live round flies out. The lesson learned, just because I think I unloaded the weapon or I think I chambered a safety round, it doesn't always reflect on reality.
    ArmyMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyMan View Post
    Sure. Hey I'm just in a snarky mood. If folks have the safety bullet and like it, no problem. It's just not for me. I either have a live round in the chamber and the weapon on my person, or the gun is unloaded and locked away. For me, a trick bullet would only get in my way, maybe even prevent me from defending myself if the bullet were in the tube and I forgot in the heat of the moment. I'm a big fan of basic trigger locks and closet safes. If others like the bullet, God bless them. I can't really hate on someone for trying to be safe.
    For me, the concern would be accessibility for my SO. I might be perfect at the "rack twice" method that they describe, but my girlfriend might need to get to my pistol when I'm not home. So now there are two people that have to be able to handle this gimmick.

-- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I figure it's just someone trying to finance their retirement on the backs of the gadget-oriented newbies caught up in the "new" firearm enthusiasm that's sweeping the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I figure it's just someone trying to finance their retirement on the backs of the gadget-oriented newbies caught up in the "new" firearm enthusiasm that's sweeping the country.
    Probably the same people that stamp the CCW badges...

--
    Tapatalk, for when a mobile site is just too difficult.

-- John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links