Remington UMC 45 Auto 230 Grain JHP Bulk Pack Terminal Test Is Up

This is a discussion on Remington UMC 45 Auto 230 Grain JHP Bulk Pack Terminal Test Is Up within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone had to do it. Figured it might as well be me. Pocket Guns and Gear: Terminal Ballistics Testing Remington UMC 45 ACP 230 Grain ...

Thread: Remington UMC 45 Auto 230 Grain JHP Bulk Pack Terminal test Is Up

Remington UMC 45 Auto 230 Grain JHP Bulk Pack Terminal test Is Up

Someone had to do it. Figured it might as well be me.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Terminal Ballistics testing Remington UMC 45 ACP 230 Grain JHP

Fail!
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    As I posted on your site I was always taught that it takes about 1000 fps to get a HP to expand, generally speaking, this and other rounds may not need that much. It seems from what you posted it was trying to expand so possibly the extra velocity gained from the extra little bit of barrel length would have put it over the top. I would have fired it from a full size gun with a 5 inch barrel just to give it a fair chance. I am not saying that you would have gained 200 plus fps but it would have given it the best opprotunity to expand.

I did just notice that your site is Pocket Guns and not full size so I guess for your parameters the testing fits.
    Last edited by tacman605; September 21st, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I concourr with the above comment. It would be interesting to see how other 230 loads fair from a short barrels.

One great thing about 45 acp is it has a proven track record of being rather good even sans expansion

Quote Originally Posted by R.W.Dale View Post
    I concourr with the above comment. It would be interesting to see how other 230 loads fair from a short barrels.
    Something like this maybe?

From a 3.3" XDs. Win Ranger T 230 +P, on the right Fed HST 230 standard pressure. Actual velocities were 901 for the Ranger and 853 for the HST.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Heres couple of. 45's also two. 40s&w for size comparison... ranger t hst, gold dot and PDX1... thw. 40's are Hornadys

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    Someone had to do it. Figured it might as well be me.

Hmm. That's kind of discouraging. I'd have thought that even at that speed there'd be a little deformation.

I have tested Winchester USA .45 230 gr JHPs and they expand well everytime- of course they were clocked at 865-875 fps.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I've had some rounds fail to expand as well in. 40 .380 and. 45... and they were all Hornady rounds.... and thats why id never carry them... federal HST and Winchester ranger T's is where its at...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    But it's already .45" and penetrated more than the proverbial 12".
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    But it's already .45" and penetrated more than the proverbial 12".
    Exactly one of the reasons I like the .45's. Still, with premium hollow points (OK, I realize the test was not on a premium load) I expect some expansion.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Really nice pics!

Links