Changing defensive ammo with the seasons!

This is a discussion on Changing defensive ammo with the seasons! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've thought about it, but I just picked a round with enough velocity and weight to penetrate deep through clothing and expand well through flesh ...

View Poll Results: Do you change bullet weights with the changing temperature to defeat clothing?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 8.72%
  • No

136 91.28%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Changing defensive ammo with the seasons!

I've thought about it, but I just picked a round with enough velocity and weight to penetrate deep through clothing and expand well through flesh (165gr .40S&W Gold Dot) I figure that if I have something that performs well through heavy clothing, but also expands well though light clothing and flesh, I've got the best of both worlds. Also, in the wintertime, you're just as likely to deal with a situation indoors as out.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

2. Remove Ads

Nope, .45 230gr hollowpoints year round. Worse case, they get plugged up, and act like 230 gr FMJ.
    OD* and Xader like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yep! I'll change from my Golden Sabers to Power Ball ammunition.

The Internet says the Power Ball will not clog up going through winter clothing and will still expand. After all, who am I to argue with the Internet and it's inventor, Al Gore?
    grav likes this.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Ayoob talks about this. Carrying a 9 in the summer and a .45 in the winter. I personally do not change.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    Nope, from the info I've gathered, I'll just carry a heavy bullet all year long.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Ayoob talks about this. Carrying a 9 in the summer and a .45 in the winter. I personally do not change.
    Ayoob has been around a long time. He has changed several things he teaches over the years, and from my understanding, this is one of them.

I have a book by Ayoob that says he would never recommend anything as big as a "9 m/m" for personal defense and suggests a .25 or .32. It's an old book, the pictures are epic.
    Brad426 likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Negatory.

My carry equipment varies with my mood, or the permissiveness of the environment in which I carry, not for the change in the seasons.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Ayoob has been around a long time. He has changed several things he teaches over the years, and from my understanding, this is one of them.

I have a book by Ayoob that says he would never recommend anything as big as a "9 m/m" for personal defense and suggests a .25 or .32. It's an old book, the pictures are epic.

^^^I can't imagine^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No I don't change anything.

I think all the HP ammo from all the big guys are tested and will expand +/- to the same degree, under the overall conditions that may prevail.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I run the same stuff year round. All winter means to me for carry is that I have a little more leeway in how I carry.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I voted yes, I typically carry 124 grain Speer Gold Dot HPs. I will go to a heavier 147 grain. Any suggestions?
    I get the idea of more clothing and what not. But todays winter cloths consist of puffy cotton jackets and not the stacked leathers and animal skins from the past. I'm not sure it would be nessesary to change your ammo. Though it wouldn't hurt if you did.

Since clothing short of soft-armor does not have the tensile strength to stop a bullet, I just stick with what I always carry.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I could see carrying FMJ in a place like Alaska where you might run into several layers of very heavy clothing.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    I could see carrying FMJ in a place like Alaska where you might run into several layers of very heavy clothing.
    Or something big with four legs...

--
    Tapatalk, for when a mobile site is just too difficult.

-- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    No, I carry the same thing year around.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I have a box of 147 grain Black Talons. Maybe I'll use those!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links