Changing defensive ammo with the seasons!

This is a discussion on Changing defensive ammo with the seasons! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to vote no but with a caveat...when I carry my LCP I do switch my carry ammo from hollow points to fmj in ...

View Poll Results: Do you change bullet weights with the changing temperature to defeat clothing?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 8.72%
  • No

136 91.28%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Changing defensive ammo with the seasons!

I had to vote no but with a caveat...when I carry my LCP I do switch my carry ammo from hollow points to fmj in colder weather.

But I have moved on to carrying an LCR and keep it loaded with the same ammo all year long.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, ďmore elegant weapons for a more civilized age.Ē

2. Remove Ads

Nope, I carry 9's and 147's are a joke, so I run my mid weight +p,+p+'s.

Where I currently live (North Dakota) it is frequently colder than Alaska. It is a real possibility that in the winter the BG may be wearing Car-harts and 2 sweat shirts. I carry the same thing year round, I just make sure and use synthetic lube on my guns.

Nope. I carry the same all year around.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Ayoob has been around a long time. He has changed several things he teaches over the years, and from my understanding, this is one of them.

I have a book by Ayoob that says he would never recommend anything as big as a "9 m/m" for personal defense and suggests a .25 or .32. It's an old book, the pictures are epic.
    A link, a book name would be nice. The video I referenced was put out in the early 90s.. Thanks...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Nope, use the same thing year round.

Tim

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nframe357 View Post
    Nope, I carry 9's and 147's are a joke, so I run my mid weight +p,+p+'s.
    Please explain why 147 grain is a joke.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    A link, a book name would be nice. The video I referenced was put out in the early 90s.. Thanks...
    In my quick googling, I found two things of interest. First, I could spend all day watching Ayoob videos on YouTube. Second... he changes caliber more than anyone I've heard of. I would say that an Ayoob quote does nothing to quell the caliber wars.

The Massad Ayoob Chronicles, Part IV | The Truth About Guns
    Ammunition.
    One of our readers would like to get your thoughts on the caliber debate. We had an interesting post on TTAG from someone who works at an ER, and their ancedotal evidence suggests that the 9mm rounds are survivable, whereas the .45 ACP wounds were generally fatal. So what are your thoughts on self-defense and calibers?

You canít do 9mm versus .45 without looking at what type of ammunition. If you say that the 9mm was, letís say Winchester 127 grain Ranger T +P+ hollow point, and the .45 230 grain ball, give me the 9mm every day of the week. In deep winter, where even the best designs can occasionally plug when they go through, not just in denim thatís tested for, but things like heavy fibre-fill garments. When the bullet plugs, if itís going to turn into a ball, I think history shows .45 ball is better than 9mm ball, so if thatís gonna happen I want my ammunition to turn into a BIG ball. In deep cold environments, I prefer the .45.

All things being equal, letís say that you had a choice between +P rounds in 9mm, .45 ACP, and perhaps .40S&W, which seems to be the ďcompromiseĒ caliber today, what are your thoughts?

Well, the problem is, all other things never will be equal. Iím talking to you now from my rural property in Florida. Nobodyís wearing anything heavier than a sport coat today. And because of the size of the property and stuff, every now and then we have to kill a critter out here. I like something that has long range and flat trajectory. So Iím carrying a Glock 31 with 16 rounds of 125 grain .357 SIG, with spare magazines, et cetera, et cetera.

In a week Iíll be in a part of the country where Iím legal to carry a gun, but it will not be legal to carry a gun with more than 10 rounds in the magazine. Iíll probably be carrying a 10-shot .45 caliber Glock 30.

At one point next month, Iíve got to go out into the frozen wasteland. I donít know yet which gun itís gonna be, but it will probably be a .45 of some flavor. It simply going to depend. I donít take guns like the .357 SIG and .45 GAP, for long trips, because the ammunition is hard to come by, when I need to replenish and Iím away from my home base. So Iíll carry a common caliber like 9 mil, .40, .45 (.45 ACP/GAP).

What is the dress code going to be? Do I need a compact gun because Iím going to be wearing a tailored suit every day? Can I wear my usual clothing I normally prefer on my own time? That also will help determine. Am I going to shoot a Glock match while Iím on the road? Iíll carry one or another flavor of a Glock pistol. Am I going to shoot a stock service revolver IDPA match while Iím on the road? Iíll probably carry a .38 special or .357 Magnum six-shot revolver with a 4-inch barrel.

This past summer I was shooting a lot of IDPA in ESR (Enhanced Service Revolver) so the gun I wound up carrying on that trip was a gun that would be kind of large and heavy for most peopleís conceal carry applications, a Smith & Wesson model 625 .45 caliber revolver.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

ďThe great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.Ē
    -- John F. Kennedy

GH
    I voted no. I carry Federal Tactical bonded HST 180 gr .40 cal year round. I wouldn't hesitate using my 165 gr FMJ practice ammo in a pinch. Although I don't know the advantage it gives but I've heard that some will alternate their loads in the same magazine between 180 gr HP & 165 gr FMJ. If I had only a few of each, enough to fill a mag, I might consider doing it.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I voted no. I carry Federal Tactical bonded HST 180 gr .40 cal year round. I wouldn't hesitate using my 165 gr FMJ practice ammo in a pinch. Although I don't know the advantage it gives but I've heard that some will alternate their loads in the same magazine between 180 gr HP & 165 gr FMJ. If I had only a few of each, enough to fill a mag, I might consider doing it.
    The only time I alternate FMJ and JHP is when I might be dealing with attackers with four legs. That extra penetration might make a difference in that case, but my 165gr Gold Dot has all the penetration I need for two-legged critters.
    GH and Poseidon like this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

ďThe great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.Ē
    -- John F. Kennedy

You can’t do 9mm versus .45 without looking at what type of ammunition. If you say that the 9mm was, let’s say Winchester 127 grain Ranger T +P+ hollow point, and the .45 230 grain ball, give me the 9mm every day of the week. In deep winter, where even the best designs can occasionally plug when they go through, not just in denim that’s tested for, but things like heavy fibre-fill garments. When the bullet plugs, if it’s going to turn into a ball, I think history shows .45 ball is better than 9mm ball, so if that’s gonna happen I want my ammunition to turn into a BIG ball. In deep cold environments, I prefer the .45.
    This is the statement that I was referring to. He will switch...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I keep my 40 S&W pistols loaded with 180gr Speer Gold Dots or 180gr Remington Golden Saber rounds all year round. When I go to the gun range I use either 165gr or 180gr FMJ for practice. A few times a year I shoot some of my magazines loaded with SD rounds as well.

VIP Member
    I did not vote:
    I don't change the ammo but the jackets allow me to carry larger caliber, so I would have a larger bullet. I also have an additional mags with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    This is the statement that I was referring to. He will switch...
    I thought I grabbed it in that quote, but apparently not. He also is well known for making the statement that you should always carry the biggest caliber you can shoot effectively with fast followup shots.

My takeaway from that is that he has the budget and time to specialize his carry method on a daily basis. If I had a chance to bend his ear, I would ask him what he would recommend for the budget conscious CCWer... specializing load based on seasons (as the only factor instead of his multi-point selection system he uses) or getting one caliber and training extensively on it (use the money for practice ammo instead of multiple calibers)

-- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member
    Weights? no.. I shoot the same weight bullets in each gun pretty much all the time. In the winter, when there's lot's of carharts under heavy leather jackets in these parts I may offer up a few Gold Dots with a Lawman FMJ chaser or two, but they're the same weight :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links