Do Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Work Better than the Regular Gold Dots

This is a discussion on Do Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Work Better than the Regular Gold Dots within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My test says yes they do. Full write up here. Pocket Guns and Gear: Gel Testing Speer 9mm Gold Dot vs. Gold Dot Short Barrel ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ljutic

Thread: Do Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Work Better than the Regular Gold Dots

My test says yes they do.

Full write up here. Pocket Guns and Gear: Gel testing Speer 9mm Gold Dot vs. Gold Dot Short Barrel

Teaser Picture:
    gottabkiddin and Cory1022 like this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Very nice testing indeed, Ive tested regular Gold dots and they performed very well,

Nice test. That extra 29ftp sure does the trick.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I doubt the guy on the receiving end would argue either way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Really like the Gold Dot performance. Would love to see some .40 S&W test with it if you get a chance; that's what i'm running in my Beretta SC Storm right now and like it a lot. I rank your ballistics testing right up there with tnoutdoors9 for quality and thoroughness, the best on YouTube IMO. Good job and thanks for the effort and time.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Nice test. I know the bullet was slightly redesigned for the short barrel versions to give better expansion at lower velocity. It's good to see that it actually works.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Great test and I do like the clear Jello test material!

But as I look at the test data I still have reservation on the Short Barrel vs the standard +P loads. That caveat is the cost of the rounds? Short Barrel is $23.49 for a box of 20 at Midway and the regular +P is $25.95 for 50 rounds at SG Ammo and even cheaper if you buy in bulk. So is the cleaner expansion and the 16 fps worth it?

As your disclaimer states it up to the individual:

Disclaimer....This test should not be considered an endorsement or recommendation for the product(s) tested. It is up to each individual to make their own personal decision about which specific ammunition to use for their needs. It's also critically important to test any ammo in YOUR SPECIFIC FIREARM before relying on it for any purpose. Ammunition labeled as +P should not be used in any firearm unless the firearm manufacturer specifically states you are permitted to do so.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Senior Moderator
    I run Speer GoldDot for short barrels out of my 4" revolvers. I figure if the are good for a 2 inch barrel they should be great for a 4" barrel
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I think either one would suck to get shot with :)

Thanks for posting this comparison. You make me happy that my earlier decision to use Gold Dot short barrel in my 40 Shield and Kahr PM9 was the right choice.
    DSC01519 - Copy.JPG
    Last edited by cc4600; October 1st, 2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Add photo

Sponsored Links