Help Needed: SR9c with Speer Gold Dot 147g

This is a discussion on Help Needed: SR9c with Speer Gold Dot 147g within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a gun newbie. Just bought my first firearm, an SR9c and got Speer Gold Dot 147g. I really didn't pay attention to the ...

Thread: Help Needed: SR9c with Speer Gold Dot 147g

Help Needed: SR9c with Speer Gold Dot 147g

I am a gun newbie. Just bought my first firearm, an SR9c and got Speer Gold Dot 147g. I really didn't pay attention to the grain at the time of purchase. I've looked through the manual and it doesnt mention any restrictions on grain.

The gun has not been fired yet. I loaded the gun up for the first time last night with the Speers and when I rack the gun it has a hard time feeding the cartridges. The slide kind of catches and then eventually feeds.

I don't really know what to make of it. Does the mag need broken in? Is my mag faulty? Should I just go shoot through the Speers and see if the gun performs okay?

It just made me a little nervous as a new gun owner that something is wrong. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Are you easing the slide forward or pulling back and releasing it. Don't ease it forward, and chamber from a loaded a mag only. Don't drop one in the cahmber and then try to close the slide. It can damage the extractor. Semis are designed to feed from the mag untilizing the forward inertia of the slide.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    147s should be fine. Do as OldVet says and all should be good to go.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I was loading from a magazine. I don't think I was easing the slide forward, but I may have been. Thanks for the quick reply.

Try shooting the gun. The dynamics are different.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Dont know if this will affect how easy a round is chambered but the SR9c's are notorious for having a bunch of grease from the factory. Make sure you clean it thoroughly!
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

As long as they chamber without any actual help from you, it should be fine. As previously mentioned give her a good inaugural cleaning. The pistol may sound a bit different when chambering ammo than when just cycling the slide... Sometimes you can hear a quick succession of clicks, that is the bullet being stripped from the magazine, impacting the feed ramp and then landing home in the chamber. It's probably acting just as it should.

Thanks everyone - yes I did take it all the way apart and give it a good cleaning when I first got it. At least as good as I can as a first time gun owner! As I reflect back on it, I do believe I may have been easing the slide forward rather then pulling back and releasing. I will try this again tonight when I get home.

I really appreciate all the feedback without anyone flaming me for being a newbie. That is one that that sets this community apart from others. I very rarely start threads on other message boards b/c it inevitably turns into people telling me why I'm an idiot.

Don't feel bad. A lot of "newbies" and some "oldies" too have a tendency to ease the slide forward thinking they are going to hurt the gun if they just pull back and release. Believe me, you are not going to hurt it; they were made to be used that way. Relax and enjoy your new toy!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

When I bought my shield, could not believe how stiff everything was, but when you think about everything that is going on in a small gun, especially that magazine spring when fully loaded, the first round may appear to be stiff. I have never had a problem with my shield, and I know quite a few peeps with the sr9c that have not had a problem. The 147 grain will not be a problem, make sure you read your manual before you buy any +p's though! Have fun!

Don't go re-chambering rounds several times or you might start getting bullet setback. (Bullet Setback and Your Defensive Handgun - YouTube). I am sure the gun will smooth out as it gets broken in. Just for kicks (as I do with all of my semi-auto firearms) I polished my feedramp to a mirror finish using non-abrasive Flitz polish and a cotton buffing wheel. It's as slick as ice.
    A Ruger SR9c was also my first handgun. It is a great gun for the money and has been 100% reliable through about 1,000 rounds so far with many different bullet weights and profiles, all but the initial 50 rounds have been my handloads. You shouldn't be concerned at all with bullet weight as far as reliability goes. It's going to shoot.

I carry 147gr+P Federal HSTs.

Edit: Be sure to remove your striker and use a Q-tip to clean out the striker channel. I got a few small metal shavings and some grease out this way. Don't lubricate the striker/firing pin. Keep it dry and clean. I prefer to use grease on all of my firearms. Super-tech Multi-duty Hi-temp lithium complex grease at Wal-mart is as good as anything, and a huge tub is $4. Just try to not over-lubricate your handgun. Also, I would recommend removing the magazine disconnect but that's up to you. It's extremely easy to do.

Links