.25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

This is a discussion on .25 ACP - The most useless round ever! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn You might think that the micro .380s make the .25 obsolete, but that is just not the case. There are those ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: .25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You might think that the micro .380s make the .25 obsolete, but that is just not the case. There are those who find the recoil of the current crop of micro .380s objectionable, and for them, a small .25 might be the best option - if they also have issues with the .32. As noted above, ignition is better with the centerfire .25 than the rimfire .22.
    Point well made, but is the ignition so good that it merits paying $17 a box for 50 for a round that may or may not penetrate well? I can only speak for the model .25 that I have shot, but the defense rounds were not reliable enough for me to merit the cost of the round. As stated above, I fired at a milk jug full of water at 10 yards and it flattened upon contact and sank to the bottom. I will be reasonable and detract my former statement from which this thread got it's title, it's not COMPLETELY useless. It's just useless enough for me to avoid it as any type of defense gun, Primary or BUG. All things considered, it was still a fun little gun to shoot off in the back yard.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Still better than a 2.7mm Kolibri. An .11 caliber, 3 grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 650 fps for a wrist snapping, mouse stopping, take down power of 3 (count 'em, 3) foot pounds.

And, if you think .25 ACP is expensive, if you can find a commercially loaded round in 2.7mm expect to pay around $70. Per round.

Your 60+ lb./ft .25 doesn't seem so puny now, does it? Looks like Magsafe offers a "Defender" round that delivers a whopping 150 lb/ft. @ 1750 fps! There is no amount of money in the world that would get me to touch off one of those in a pot metal Raven!

Joe
    $70 a round?? Well played raytracer, well played...
    atctimmy, raytracer and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Moderator
    For .25 and .32 acp's I suggest carrying FMJ to address the penetration issues
    10thmtn likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPreacher View Post
    My mother has a Taurus .25 Pistol that she keeps in her concealed carry clock on the mantle. I was shooting it on Sunday and came to the conclusion that the .25 round is the most useless round known to man. Number 1 - It couldn't penetrate through a milk carton full of water at 10 yards. Number 2 - In some instances it costs as much as .38 spl ammo. WTH??? Anybody here have a different opinion about the .25 or is it generally unanimous that it is the most non-productive round ever invented?
    There is no such thing as a "useless" caliber, round, or gun. Some are much less useful than others of course but that is not the same thing.
    In a close quarter confrontation a .25 or .32 is as useful as a knife unless one is an expert with knives, I'm not. May be better as it allows for two arms length offencive instead of real close in. However I doubt that I will ever find a sane person who would want me to shoot at them with a .25 or .32 at close quarters. Even an empty gun makes a decent club, unless of course it's made of plastic. ;)
    Tayopo likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Point well made, but is the ignition so good that it merits paying $17 a box for 50 for a round that may or may not penetrate well? I can only speak for the model .25 that I have shot, but the defense rounds were not reliable enough for me to merit the cost of the round. As stated above, I fired at a milk jug full of water at 10 yards and it flattened upon contact and sank to the bottom. I will be reasonable and detract my former statement from which this thread got it's title, it's not COMPLETELY useless. It's just useless enough for me to avoid it as any type of defense gun, Primary or BUG. All things considered, it was still a fun little gun to shoot off in the back yard.
    In .380 and below, I would use FMJ. In my .38, I use SWC. That takes care of penetration.

I agree in that, if the choice is .25 vs .22, I would probably choose .22 - in a revolver. That takes care of ignition concerns with the .22.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

When Larome Foutane Jones is walking up to you with a knife, and you pull out your 25 PPK and put three 'caps in his ass', I doubt he will argue caliber.

A .... You see a gun

B...... You see a flash and hear bang

My guess is your attacker will think twice. At worst you put three 25s in his cranium. I would prefer a 25 over a 22 because of the 'dud' issue. is a 45 a better cal - Jee Whiz, I don't know. I took my grandmother to the shooting range and gave her my S&W 500, the recoil was a little rough but she liked it. But she prefers her 25 beretta.
    Tayopo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    When Larome Foutane Jones is walking up to you with a knife, and you pull out your 25 PPK and put three 'caps in his ass', I doubt he will argue caliber.

A .... You see a gun

B...... You see a flash and hear bang

My guess is your attacker will think twice. At worst you put three 25s in his cranium. I would prefer a 25 over a 22 because of the 'dud' issue. is a 45 a better cal - Jee Whiz, I don't know. I took my grandmother to the shooting range and gave her my S&W 500, the recoil was a little rough but she liked it. But she prefers her 25 beretta.
    I agree to an extent. What if it isn't Mr. Jones? What if it's Rudy Eugene?

A. You see a gun

B. You see a flash and hear bang

C. You continue to eat your friends face off anyway.

Miami Face-Eating Attack Lasted 18 Agonizing Minutes - ABC News

Rudy Eugene

I sort of think Rudy may have been on drugs. I would have put six 25s in his cranium. As a backup I would have a Japanese battle sword, a 4 mill volt tazer, a chainsaw, and would have ran like hell.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    The most effective caliber for self defense is the one that you have. While a .25 is not my first, second, third or fourth choice for self defense I will take it over my fists any day.
    Same here. Perhaps a better adjective would be "adequate"?

Forced to compensate for the .25's diminished "adequacy", I'd load up with the fastest 50 gr. FMJs that I could find and plan on dumping the entire magazine into the threat, and then if it still remains, using the pistol to beat a hole through his skull, circumstances permitting.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

$70 a round?? Well played raytracer, well played...
    I'm waiting for somebody to really gun-nerd out and trump me with Gyrojet ammo... last I heard it was up around $100 a pop!

I guess I just out nerded myself...
    msgt/ret likes this.

It is more expensive ,it is more reliable ignition than rimfire,it is a nice lil pkg to have in a leg holster or pocket backup,and better than nothing.Even issued to pilots both sides ww2 as had little room in some cockpits,considered last ditch resort.Russians executed prisoners with them shot to back of neck at base of skull.It is what it is a small caliber firearm.
    I have a rather pristine titan 25 cal,sometimes carry it as well as dont carry spare mags,no way cocked and locked yet backup if I use all my 32 acp up,and or 22lr.For winter going with a 9x18 pa63.Backup still will be present even though its coming with two mags in either 22,25 or 32 as take little space up.And prior the 22lr or 32 were primary still will be in shorts and t shirt.
    Tayopo likes this.

Hi Ray The Gyro Jet was an interesting configuration. It was stabilised by angled jets in the base which spun the projectile. It had far more energy than the hottest .......45 loading then in extence, with absolutely 'no recoil'. It was only available in RNFMJ, I believe that the individual rnds were made by hand basically, which accounts for the high price. I doubt that it could be called 'concealable' though.

Now about the lil .25, may I give an example where it is very desireable for close in self defense?

In Mexico it is virtualy impossible to receive a permit for a firearm. The law stipulates 20 years for possession of a .357 or a .45 Acp, or any ammunition for them. both are reserved exclusively for the military.

IF one could manage a permit, the largest pistol sizes are the .380 in a semi, .38 spec. in a revolver. Any firearm found in your possession without a valid permit, guarentees many years in the Mexican Hanoi Hilton.

There is a new modification of the law that for a 'foreigner', if the pistol is a.22, that the pistol will be confiscated and a fine of $1000 dollars will be applied and the possesor deported. No jail time. Soo many Americans here have resorted to using a .25 semi, since it is soo close to a .22, that an arresting officer will look the other way if the pistol is acompanied by a healty mordida, (bribe).not the required $1000.

Under these circumstances what would you do ? After all, a lil .25 looks decidely attractive, since it 'will do' an effective job up close say 10 - 15 ft in the neck region..

Don jose de la Mancha

Gyro Jet

It's a "pretty" thang!
    msgt/ret likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

How did we go from 25 acp to a gyro jet,which was expensive and had little fps or fpe at muzzle,most likly less than a 25 acp as a mini rocket.Admit wish I had bought one,just to resell for a wee bit more.But didnt have the cash then or the now price now.
    Bet nasa bought a few for space guns.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
    How did we go from 25 acp to a gyro jet,which was expensive and had little fps or fpe at muzzle,most likly less than a 25 acp as a mini rocket.Admit wish I had bought one,just to resell for a wee bit more.But didnt have the cash then or the now price now.
    Bet nasa bought a few for space guns.
    Could've sent one to Mars and kept our rovers safe.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links