.25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

This is a discussion on .25 ACP - The most useless round ever! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Lots of dead cops can attest to the 25 auto....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: .25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

Lots of dead cops can attest to the 25 auto.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    Lots of dead cops can attest to the 25 auto.
    Actually, no, they can't... cause they're dead. But there is a big difference between something being lethal and something being able to quickly end the threat. I don't doubt the that the .25 will kill. I also don't doubt that heart disease is the #1 killer of men, but I wouldn't want to count on it to stop an attacker when I need it to.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    One victim was killed using a .25 and the other victim was killed using a .32 at the double murder trial I was a juror on. Both were just as dead although the coroner did testify that both victims did take a while to die. Oh and we did convict the defendant.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Shoot at the neck, shoot at the neck !!! ya igerent hoosiers.

Don Jose de La Mancha.

A current production 25 ACP - PSA Arms - $500

Administrator
    But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one.

I once asked a room full of people if any of them would volunteer to let me slam a .25 CENT plastic toy "CASPER The Friendly Ghost" PEZ dispenser into their eye socket and there weren't any takers.

That having been said the original argument that I always heard for the .25ACP was that it a bit more reliable than a .22 rim fire being as it sported a center fire cartridge primer.

There are some vintage very tiny high quality semi-autos chambered for the .25 that functioned very well and were extremely reliable for their small size.

SO....I would like to see the .25 stick around in order to continue to feed those timeless little gems.

They are great fun to shoot and I sure would rather have one than a BIC pen as my only means of self-defense.

The .25 (admittedly) is not super effective but, it still could give a bad guy a really bad day.

The looming question always being..."Will The Deadly Threat Be Ended Before The Deadly Threat Ends The Person With The .25?"
    pgrass101 and glockman10mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
    How did we go from 25 acp to a gyro jet,which was expensive and had little fps or fpe at muzzle,most likly less than a 25 acp as a mini rocket.

Sorry about that!

To get back to the original subject, one of the guys had a little Beretta .25 at one of our IDPA matches a while back - not for the match of course, but we all had to play with it and see how far we could get good hits - that thing was ridiculously accurate!

My question is not whether someone could kill another person with a .25 or not. People can kill each other with spoons given the right CQ situation. My question is if you experience more than one lethal threats in your life, what's the likelyhood of surviving all of them when your personal defense weapon is a .25? Can it consistantly penetrate enough to merit the cost of the firearm and the round? If I want to spend 2 or 300 on a firearm there are other options available that should negate the need for a .25 as a defense weapon.

I did humbly retract my original thought that it was completely useless seeing as they are pretty fun to shoot in general. To clarify, I think that the round is useless for personal defense. I think a revolver in .22 solves the ignition issue and you can buy a box of those rounds with the money that's tucked away under your couch cushions.

I'm not a large caliber fan boy, I'm just a realist as it concerns cost to effectiveness ratio. It doesn't add up.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

The wife carries a Seecamp .25 as a BUG with a mag full of the Winchester XP in it. Practice ammo is priced high, but when I worked in a gunshop I turned most of my paychecks into practice ammo when I could so I have a decent stockpile. The only reason I can imagine the ammo is so high is that it's either not profitable to load since those machines would be better used cranking out 9mm, or it's so hard to get the tiny .25s to load in a manufacturing machine due to the size that its labor intensive.

As for reliability, I used to work on a range, and work with all kinds of rental guns, and the .25 wins hands down.

And the Taurus the OP mentions is one of the few Taurus products I would own, as long as it had wood grips and not the fake "pearl".
    Tayopo likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    This will sound strange but my fathers .25 used to serve well as a rabbit gun. On my grandfather’s farm there were several culverts that had loose boards over them. Rabbits would go under them to get out of the weather. I would lift up the boards to see if there was a rabbit hiding there, I normally carried the .25 in a back pocket so while holding the board up I could reach back and with a headshot dinner was available. This was back in the 1960s so .25 ammo was far cheaper back then.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I believe the entire purpose of JMB making the .25 ACP was to make a centerfire equivalent of the .22 LR. That being said, it's hard to see what someone would expect from the round. It wasn't designed to be a manstopper, it was designed to be a .22 LR with a more reliable primer ignition.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I have seen times when I would have been thankful to have one in my pocket.
    Tayopo likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Could be all this is true, but I don't want one..
    ArmedPreacher likes this.

I have a 1917 Ortgies Pocket pistol in 25ACP. For nearly a 100 years old, it's a darn reliable little gun. While I doubt I would ever use it as my primary, it makes a dandy little backup and it's pretty concealable.
    823cab29_OrtgieHand.jpg

Edit: Correction, it's actually circa 1921. 'have too many guns, hard to keep track of all those details sometimes
    Last edited by wraithls1; October 3rd, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
    Tayopo, pgrass101 and bmcgilvray like this.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    The .25acp was the caliber used by James Bond in many of Ian Flemings novels. Meaning unequivocally that it's an excellent round.
    "Ladies gun, Sir." Those words sneeringly signaled the end of the fifteen-year affair between James Bond and his .25 Beretta. After a Court of Inquiry concluded that he nearly got himself killed because of his choice of that very pistol, the head of British Intelligence, M., ordered it confiscated. From then on, his star agent was to be outfitted with a new gun. And so began the storied association of James Bond and the Walther PPK, an association born in the pages of Ian Fleming’s sixth novel, Dr. No (1958).

Which is why I also stopped carrying it as a BUG in my early crime-fighting days.
    In Absentia Luci Tenebrae Vincu

There is a line between good and evil, no wider than a razor's edge.
    I hold the line.
    I am the line.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links