.25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

This is a discussion on .25 ACP - The most useless round ever! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fie Titan back in 82 was about 45 dollars 4 3/4 x 3 1/2 x 3/4 certainly not cocked an locked but handy for those ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: .25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

Fie Titan back in 82 was about 45 dollars 4 3/4 x 3 1/2 x 3/4
    certainly not cocked an locked but handy for those who dont carry extra mags etc or a lot of them

Rides in an inner pocket within front pocket nicely wont print is smaller than my Pt22
    Is it power full no beats throwing the other pistol at them
    JoJoGunn likes this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    While I'm not a fan of the .25 Auto....I still wouldn't want to get shot with one.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

hhb
    County Cororoner says the .25acp still does the job!

Quote Originally Posted by hhb View Post
    If the job is to kill, sure. If the job is to neutralize a threat before you are the one on the coroner's slab, maybe not so much.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
    ArmedPreacher and zonker1986 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Like I've stated earlier, it's ability to kill is not what's in question. BB's can kill. Is it effective enough to penetrate to make it worth paying .38spl prices for the ammo? No. A .22 will suffice if one insists on having a Back up Mouse Gun.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

If I needed a mouse gun it'd be worth it to chose a .25 over a .22 for functional reliability. Besides, the .25 hits marginally harder with an infinitesimally larger and heavier bullet.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPreacher View Post
    Like I've stated earlier, it's ability to kill is not what's in question. BB's can kill. Is it effective enough to penetrate to make it worth paying .38spl prices for the ammo? No. A .22 will suffice if one insists on having a Back up Mouse Gun.
    We do all see your general point. No worries. But, there was a reason it was initially created, and as others have mentioned it did fill a niche as a very subcompact .22 sized pocket pistol with more reliable ignition and feeding.

Edit: In all honesty you could make the same argument about the .32 and .380. Are they effective enough to pay twice what you would for 9mm? Cost verse effectiveness is not directly related in the firearms industry.
    Tayopo likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If someone points a firearm at me, I'm not going to spend a lot of time considering its caliber--although I do recall quite clearly the .45 1911 stuck in my face years ago! I think that was the point at which I decided to carry a .45!
    Tayopo likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Back in the 80s I had a Titan 25 like what lilmule posted but mine was black. I carried it chambered with the hammer on half cock. Twice I shot a gallon jug of frozen water and they went through. IIRC they were Super-X ammo.
    Tayopo and Richard58 like this.

I had a Titan also in the 80's. Cheap pocket pistol but it fired ever time...don't see them any more...Also had a beretta tip up barrel 25 acp too. I liked the beretta a lot more.
    Tayopo likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by hhb View Post
    Indeed it does. One saved my life.

And of course, a .25 on your person is always better than a (insert favorite caliber here) left at home, yada yada.
    Tayopo likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I would carry a 25 acp over any kind of rimfire any day due to being center fire reliability.
    I haven't checked in awhile but I think beretta might be the only company making 25acp besides masterpiece arms making that browning copy.
    Tayopo likes this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Richard, I had one lf those lil Berretas with the tipup barrel for small game. I used .22 CB caps and shorts in it, quieter. It kept me eating on some of my explorations. However it wsn't as rugged as the Titan, but quite adequate.

Don Jose de La Mancha

FMJ to the head anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
    Fie Titan back in 82 was about 45 dollars 4 3/4 x 3 1/2 x 3/4
    certainly not cocked an locked but handy for those who dont carry extra mags etc or a lot of them

Rides in an inner pocket within front pocket nicely wont print is smaller than my Pt22
    Is it power full no beats throwing the other pistol at them
    I still own a 1982 FIE Titan .25 acp.

Staying on topic though, the .25 acp under some circumstances could be considered useless but keep in mind, it is a firearm holding a cartridge filled with gunpowder topped by a most likely copper jacketed lead bullet, it can and has been lethal.

Would it be a "go-to" or "1st choice" cartridge, no, not at all. It's just another round to complete an arsenal of caliber, and some people prefer it to other "lower" ones such as .22 and .32, it's a matter of personal preference.

I have seen two cases here in my region were the .25 was used. First one, guy in Mason Co. WV shoots his girlfriend six times with the little bugger during a domestic issue. She DROVE herself to the nearest EMT station and then was transported to a hospital in Huntington. Didn't hear if she died or not, there was no more to the story. If she survived then yes, it was usless when he used it in an attempt to kill his significant other.

Then there was the young black kid at our local YMCA who liked to play a bit of old guy's basketball with us older white guys. We liked the kid and he seemed to be wanting some "father" like stuff. One day after we were there and he played ball with us, he went to an apartment of a man he had met earlier that day and shot him dead with a.25 auto for no apparent reason.

So, is the .25 "useless?" Well, that depends on each situation where it is employed. It just would not be the most reliable round, but I've had no problems dropping that little Titan .25 in my pocket, just in case.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links