.25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

This is a discussion on .25 ACP - The most useless round ever! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This thread finally made me do it. I got the Raven I inherited from Grandad out of the safe yesterday and put some rounds through ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: .25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

VIP Member
    This thread finally made me do it. I got the Raven I inherited from Grandad out of the safe yesterday and put some rounds through it. I ran three mags through it without incident, and found it to be surprisingly accurate at seven yards. All in all, a fun little shooter. I took the Keltec along with the idea of doing a comparison, but alas, the ejector retaining screw kept working itself loose.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    When in doubt...shoot em in the eyeball.

A .25 ACP in the eye socket would impede any attacker.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    When in doubt...shoot em in the eyeball.

A .25 ACP in the eye socket would impede any attacker.
    Well if I had only known it was that simple! I'm gonna ditch my M&P 45c and carry my pellet gun since a can of pellets is only like $1.79. At that price I will be able to practice and get so proficient that I will be able to make the shot every time. And for all of you who are critical of my SD caliber... I don't see any of you volunteering to let me shoot you with my pellet gun.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Moderator
    Thats a great idea! Why stop there? You can buy BB's for a buck.
    Brad426 likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member
    I was at Walmart just last night and saw a pellet rifle in 22 caliber size that will do over 1000 FPS. That getting up to killing speed there.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

May I suggest that many unknowledgeable people are looking for facts on firearms in here, so keep this in mind when posting.

The .25 was designed to kill, this it will do nicely, if the shooter does his / her part. shoot for the neck, not the tummy. It is chock full of hurty points, also a caratoid artery hit will put a person down in aprox. 2 - 5 sec, regardless of calibre.

If the shooter can do his / her part, it is just as deadly and quick as a .600 Jeffereys.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Quote Originally Posted by Tayopo View Post
    It is chock full of hurty points, ...
    Hurty points.

That's funny right there.

Hurty points......oh whew.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I'm no fan of .25 ACP but it'd beat closing with an adversary in order to deal with him using one's fists.

I've long thought of the weaker handgun rounds not noted for great stopping power as "fists in an aerosol can." They would still be handy to "squirt" one's assailant with an accurate blow or series of blows which could turn the trick. Mas Ayoob once described an effective hit as placing a bullet in the "super-owie-zone." Upon receiving an SOZ hit or two, an assailant could be said to be having a bad day.

I'd still prefer something with a little more "starch" than a .25.
    Brad426, Tayopo, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

"Hurty points".... "Super Owie Zone"....

All this technical talk is making my head swim!
    bmcgilvray and Tayopo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    This thread finally made me do it. I got the Raven I inherited from Grandad out of the safe yesterday and put some rounds through it. I ran three mags through it without incident, and found it to be surprisingly accurate at seven yards. All in all, a fun little shooter. I took the Keltec along with the idea of doing a comparison, but alas, the ejector retaining screw kept working itself loose.
    Looks like the Raven won that battle. Three accurate, reliable magazines emptied into the opponent vs. a broken Keltec.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

wh u talking about

ok so i carry a raven 25 auto every day and i just dont understand ur theory i have been carrying this gun for the last 3 years and personaly i believe it to be the best concealed carry gun i have found yet the 25acp might not feel like much when u shoot it but i shot a 5 gallon bucket of used motor oil and it went in and came back out the other side i think u need to go to the gun shop buy some hornady 25 acp hollow points ant try ur milk jug again because if what ur saying is true then u mother i keeping light loads in her gun and needs to get her some more but other then that i believe the 25 acp is the perfect concealed carry round because if u do have to shoot someone the who wants it to come out the other side i mean think about a few circumstances where the exiting bullet from a 38 spcl.coud do damage to ainnocent bystander just something for u to think about

Hah shaverjd! Welcome to the Forum!

I've just got to kid you a bit. We do that here on occasion.

Busted!

You might both read and post here a while and you'll come to appreciate punctuation and capitalization. It will make your posts easier to decipher.

Do post again despite the ol' moderators hassling you.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

I have several .25 autos in my collection, and they range from 75 to 100 years old. They were beautifully made little guns and are a lot of fun to shoot, and none of them has ever given me a misfire. We could sit and debate ballistics all day long, but for me shooting is also recreation. I'm not going to gripe about the cost of the ammo when it gives me a fun afternoon of shooting, be it with my 1908 Steyr .25, my Sig .380 carry piece, My type 94 Nambu (try buying ammo for that!) or my .50AE Desert Eagle...that spent brass on the ground gives me a great feeling of satisfaction. Really, isn't that what shooting is all about???
    bmcgilvray, wraithls1 and Tayopo like this.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    I would carry a 25 acp over any kind of rimfire any day due to being center fire reliability.
    I haven't checked in awhile but I think beretta might be the only company making 25acp besides masterpiece arms making that browning copy.
    Taurus makes a copy of the Beretta .25 tip up. Taurus engineering hard at work.
    grouse likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

"...for me shooting is also recreation."

Yeah, it is!

And look! For copying and pasting I get to use this neato font in this post! Thanks RAC55! This is too high-tech for me.
    RAC55 likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links