.25 ACP - The most useless round ever! - Page 6

.25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

This is a discussion on .25 ACP - The most useless round ever! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good thread! The little guns & the little round sure do bring about some mighty big passions...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: .25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Good thread! The little guns & the little round sure do bring about some mighty big passions

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    Remember the Beretta 950 Jetfire will be in your pocket when the larger guns are giving you problems. Would I carry this gun as primary? Yes I have and lived to talk about it.
    I can appreciate the appeal and utility of a subcompact pocket pistol, and I can't think of anything smaller than a pocket Beretta in .25 Auto, .22 LR, or .32 Auto. I can understand that one would want the smallest of guns in the Keys, but wouldn't the Beretta 3032 Tomcat be preferable? You get reliable lethal penetration with .32 FMJ (albeit no expansion) at the cost of one less round and two more ounces relative to the Beretra 21 Bobcat (the replacement for the Jetfire).

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    I can appreciate the appeal and utility of a subcompact pocket pistol, and I can't think of anything smaller than a pocket Beretta in .25 Auto, .22 LR, or .32 Auto. I can understand that one would want the smallest of guns in the Keys, but wouldn't the Beretta 3032 Tomcat be preferable? You get reliable lethal penetration with .32 FMJ (albeit no expansion) at the cost of one less round and two more ounces relative to the Beretra 21 Bobcat (the replacement for the Jetfire).
    I've looked at the 3032 as a "sub-caliber" option. It's a little larger than the Beretta 21, but I could live with that for the larger round that it offers.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    As anemic as a .25 may be, it's still marginally better than a small rock or a blunt stick :)
    Louder, yes. Marginally better, that's debatable. Given a choice between a .25 and a stick, I think 75% of the time I'd take the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Louder, yes. Marginally better, that's debatable. Given a choice between a .25 and a stick, I think 75% of the time I'd take the stick.
    Yes, but only if the stick were larger caliber than my 12 ga. and longer. :)
    smolck and Tayopo like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post

To get back to the original subject, one of the guys had a little Beretta .25 at one of our IDPA matches a while back - that thing was ridiculously accurate!
    Yes, they are. The 950 I had would keep all it's shots COM on a B27 at around 50yds easily.

When I first started to CCW, I owned the 950, a J-frame and a BHP. 99% of the time, some combination of 2 were always with me. There were a few times I carried the 950 as my only gun. BUT...

That was when I believed that any gun was better than nothing. Nowadays, I'm not even content with a .380.

Currently, the smallest gun I own and carry is my G26. I'd be more content with my Cold Steel Spartan or Kabar TDI than any mouse gun.

Yep, with some of us, when they pick on our little guns, it's kinda' like when they would be picking on our baby brother in the school yard...
    Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Good thread! The little guns & the little round sure do bring about some mighty big passions

Quote Originally Posted by RAC55 View Post
    Yep, with some of us, when they pick on our little guns, it's kinda' like when they would be picking on our baby brother in the school yard...
    I think most of us are joking around (I know my comment was light heartedly meant). But the reality is ALL self defense guru's and trainers say to carry the biggest caliber you'll actually carry. With today's abundant choices of pocket sized 9mm's I don't understand anyone carrying a .25 or .32 cal pocket gun.

James Yeager (who I still try to hate but he has so much common sense it's scary) has a video that talks about lethality of a round vs fight stopping ability. The point, a .22 or .25 are indeed "lethal", but the bad guy will have a better chance of still being able to kill you too before he bleeds out.

Yet.... there have been a lot of people killed by a .25 caliber shot to the head around here. Amazing, but true.

No matter what we like or don't like, I don't want anyone pointing one at my head, or any other body parts for that matter.

Many officers during WWII on all sides, carried .32 handguns, and many people were killed by them too (closer range). Even Patton carried a .32 caliber handgun.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

General MacArthur called a Remington 41 rimfire derringer all the time.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I think most of us are joking around (I know my comment was light heartedly meant). But the reality is ALL self defense guru's and trainers say to carry the biggest caliber you'll actually carry. With today's abundant choices of pocket sized 9mm's I don't understand anyone carrying a .25 or .32 cal pocket gun.

James Yeager (who I still try to hate but he has so much common sense it's scary) has a video that talks about lethality of a round vs fight stopping ability. The point, a .22 or .25 are indeed "lethal", but the bad guy will have a better chance of still being able to kill you too before he bleeds out.
    I know it was meant in jest...no problemo...out of the boxes and boxes of handguns I own, I would only consider carrying 2 maybe 3 considering the weather and type of dress. The rest including my .25s and .32s, and .22s I would not consider carrying for self defense. they are pre-war guns. Nazi proofed, some with capture documents just for shooting and collecting

I dont believe you or anyone else would want to be on the receiving end of the .25. Are there better choices, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmedPreacher View Post
    My mother has a Taurus .25 Pistol that she keeps in her concealed carry clock on the mantle. I was shooting it on Sunday and came to the conclusion that the .25 round is the most useless round known to man. Number 1 - It couldn't penetrate through a milk carton full of water at 10 yards. Number 2 - In some instances it costs as much as .38 spl ammo. WTH??? Anybody here have a different opinion about the .25 or is it generally unanimous that it is the most non-productive round ever invented?

.G' morning smolck, coffee? You posted

[QUOTE= I don't understand anyone carrying a .25 or .32 cal pocket gun..[/QUOTE]

Simple, in Mexico, fot example, even that is considered illegal, but only has a fine and confiscation attached, instead of years in the Mexican Hilton for possession of anything larger.

A .38 spec in revolver, and a 380 in a semi are the largest sized calibers allowable, 'IF' you can somehow receive a carry permit. I know of no-one that has gotten one, without $5 - 10,000 dollars attached to the application

So as it goes, you do with what you can, from a pencil / ball point to a .25. In fact the lil .25 begins to look rather nice if you are older or physically smaller.

I know of no one that when confronted with the lil .25 that would laugh and say "get out of my way with that toy, or give me your wallet and your wife.".

K, I will grant mentally disturbed and drugged peeps may not, such as the ole Philippine Moro on going Juramentado.

There is no pistol that will guarantee to stop a drugged person with homicide on their mind, lurching at you from say 10 ft away wth a knife or pipe. You will be hurt.

The truth is that any pistol from .22 up will stop or kill any opponent IF the shooter does his / her part, if they can't, then none will stop a crazed person.

I am afraid that too many are considering their defensive situation based upon the movies and gangs. As I pointed out, noise is the enemy of the BG, he wants to commit his crime as quietly as possible and when gunfire erupts, he generally hauls his cottin pickin butt away

Even qngs quickly disappear when a few shots are fired, or upon seeing a pistol.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Short barreled 25 acp sound like a cannon when they go off and flame out the end of the barrel if dark.
    Caliber restrictions are often the norm elsewhere 32 acp or 380 often being the top cap,but in europe with steel and hotter rounds 32 acp its not quite the weak anemic american one.
    The 25 and 32 often issued to pilots who had little room to spare,and better than a rock when the enemy approached.
    Think the japs even bought on their own 22 shot rubys.
    I did have a 25 titan and for a few years was the only handgun in the house(notice said handgun)
    Now have several 22 lr that I actually cc with as primary in hot weather and secondary in or when outer clothing permits,with the 32 acp and or 9x18 mak then being primary.
    Most dont like the added cost of a 25 acp it is more reliable than rf and if one looks around and doesnt buy it from so and so sporting goods can be had reasonable.
    The lowly 22,25,and 32acp have more crime stops than higher calibers,simply because many dont like being shot twice,notice I didnt state 1 shot kills.While they have a high percentage even higher than 45 acp for one shot kills,stats are tilted in their direction as few shoot 1 time at a perp with say a 25 acp,so fewer numbers to place in the actual figures so more one shot kills per encounter,as all the others shot more than once and dont get entered.
    Point is a stop is a stop,should they expire because of that stop it wasnt the goal yet acceptable.
    Sometimes no shots fired simply because you have it they go elsewhere looking for easier pickings.
    Think about gun control and if un sactions took place your 44 magnums and even 357 be illegal to own,just 380 and under and if that didnt work quite well enough down to 32 acp,its not a violation of the second amendment just restricting caliber,and could be implimented.
    Just as noone could also own like 50 cal bmg,yet could their standard deer rifle,but limited there as well.
    If that sounds unreal try getting an ak47 with 100 rd drum mags in cali.
    So smaller even if backup handguns are a smart idea.
    Tayopo likes this.

.25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

This is simply not true, except maybe in comparison to every other type of round. I have the baretta 21 bobcat and IT WILL TOO penetrate a milk jug at 10 yards. In fact, I was surprised to find that it could go clean through 5/8" plywood at around 10 feet.

When I got the little gun I really liked it from the start. It has very little kick, but is very loud. No doubt, a shot to the head at short range could be fatal. And it really should be short range, because the snub nose model 21 is not very accurate. But it is scary sounding.

I feel very confident that I can win a fight against someone with a stick. First with two shots, I will make their ears ring so bad that they will have to drop the stick to hold their ears.

The clip in the Model 21 holds a nice bunch of rounds, at least eight, but I think I usually carry around five. They are too expensive, but that means they are usually in stock. And there is no sense in stocking up for target practice, as no amount of practice at more than 50 feet is going to wear out a target. So it's best to pop a couple of round from time to time just for grins and giggles.

I like design of the Model 21, it is semi-automatic with a hard pull on round one and a hair trigger after that, unless you pre-cock the hammer. It has a pop up barrel which will snap the round in the air while unloading at which time you can look cool catching it in your pocket, just make sure you aren't teaching gun safety during this demonstration. To safely chamber a round you don't pull the slide, you pop the barrel and stick it in manually. The clip is hard to load which would still make a pocket revolver a better choice for the weak fingered.

I guess I never really looked at it as a sidearm, it is more of an ankle gun. I'm thinking that while shaking hands I can hold a 12 gauge on my left side, a Desert Eagle in the holster and the Model 21 on my ankle for later. Otherwise I would look like some sort of gun nut.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Sponsored Links