.25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

This is a discussion on .25 ACP - The most useless round ever! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My mother has a Taurus .25 Pistol that she keeps in her concealed carry clock on the mantle. I was shooting it on Sunday and ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: .25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

.25 ACP - The most useless round ever!

My mother has a Taurus .25 Pistol that she keeps in her concealed carry clock on the mantle. I was shooting it on Sunday and came to the conclusion that the .25 round is the most useless round known to man. Number 1 - It couldn't penetrate through a milk carton full of water at 10 yards. Number 2 - In some instances it costs as much as .38 spl ammo. WTH??? Anybody here have a different opinion about the .25 or is it generally unanimous that it is the most non-productive round ever invented?
    Gun Control: Using both hands

2. Remove Ads

I think it has been pointed out many many many times on the internet that .25auto is the most worthless round that you can still buy on the shelf at your local Walmart. Personally I would feel much safer carrying a .22lr pistol with bulk lead round nose ammo than a .25auto with the most high end hollow point ammo on the market.

And yes, .25auto is expensive. Local prices were $22 a box at Walmart last time I was in there, about the same for .32auto. Funny that the two most useless self defense rounds are the most expensive, like they are trying to discourage you from even shooting them.
    ArmedPreacher likes this.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    The .25acp was the caliber used by James Bond in many of Ian Flemings novels. Meaning unequivocally that it's an excellent round.
    Maynard, sdprof, JEAM and 4 others like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

.45 GAP is pretty useless as far as I'm concerned, but the .25 ranks right up there.
    JEAM and swiftyjuan like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Here we go again. I have seen several killed with the 25 acp. So at this point i would not say it is useless. A .25 ACP in hand is better than two .45’s back home or under the car seat. Got my first Jetfire in 1979, I carried the Beretta 950 Jetfire as a BUG and as primary during UC work when I did a tour of duty in the Florida Keys. Yes I known most will make fun of the .25. But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one. I carried Winchester Super-X 25 Auto 45gr EP in the gun until I made my high end reloads. The expanding point ammo will open a large hole in plywood, must be the BB in the hollow point section of the bullet. I have seen what a .25 can do to a person and with the right ammo you cannot do better. Remember the Beretta 950 Jetfire will be in your pocket when the larger guns are giving you problems. Would I carry this gun as primary? Yes I have and lived to talk about it.
    Bunkin and swiftyjuan like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Certainly not a first choice for defense, but useless may be too harsh. I was watching a cop reality show where they were with, IIRC, the Richmond, VA PD. The victim was shot 1 time and bled out before the ambulance got there. The shot was from 40 feet and hit him just below the left shoulder blade, penetrated the lung, hit a rib, bounced back and severed the aorta. It was a .25 Auto. Like I said, it wouldn't be my first choice, but if one was pointed at me it would make me rethink what I was doing - and that may be enough to win the fight. If you do have to fight it, shot placement is going to be everything.
    I occasionally slip my Taurus PT25 into its pocket holster and take it for a walk. The .45 fanboys I hang out with laugh, but none has volunteered to be target holders while I shoot it, so it gets some respect.

As anemic as a .25 may be, it's still marginally better than a small rock or a blunt stick :)
    wraithls1, sdprof and Fisher10 like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    Here we go again. I have seen several killed with the 25 acp. So at this point i would not say it is useless. A .25 ACP in hand is better than two .45’s back home or under the car seat. Got my first Jetfire in 1979, I carried the Beretta 950 Jetfire as a BUG and as primary during UC work when I did a tour of duty in the Florida Keys. Yes I known most will make fun of the .25. But I do not see any one volunteering to get shot by one. I carried Winchester Super-X 25 Auto 45gr EP in the gun until I made my high end reloads. The expanding point ammo will open a large hole in plywood, must be the BB in the hollow point section of the bullet. I have seen what a .25 can do to a person and with the right ammo you cannot do better. Remember the Beretta 950 Jetfire will be in your pocket when the larger guns are giving you problems. Would I carry this gun as primary? Yes I have and lived to talk about it.
    I'm not volunteering to get snapped with a rubber band (it really stings) but that doesn't mean it's a good SD carry weapon. And I have gone UNARMED and lived to tell about it, but that doesn't mean it will happen again.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I'm not calling it useless just because it's "Make the bad guy quit" power has a low chance of success. It's also because the round is so expensive. If I supported the argument that low caliber pistols were fine for self defense I would chose the .22 or .380 on that judgment alone. Why would I pay .38 spl prices for a round that isn't much bigger than a .22 unless I have a misfire going on in my brain stem?

I've heard the argument "Nobody's volunteering to be shot by one," but it's not a very strong case to make when it comes to a life or death situation. I'm not going to volunteer to be stabbed with a pencil but if someone were to stab me with one I'd be pretty pissed and want to kill them. So If someone found out you shot them with a .25 I'm sure they'd be ready to do the same to you.

I'm not a .45 fanboy nor am I a caliber war soldier but a realist when it comes to personal defense. If grandpa passed his old .25 down to me and I didn't have a .380 or above as another option then I'd definitely carry it (Providing I could get past the cost of the rounds), but I'm not going to pay the same price for a .25 that I could get a .380 with cheaper ammo.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Gun Control: Using both hands

VIP Member
    Uselessness is a subjective concept. For the elderly, the infirm and the disabled, it may be the only semi they can load, chamber and fire. Across the entire spectrum of centerfire handgun calibers, one has to be the smallest. The .25 has been around since 1908 and is offered in a variety of loadings, so someone is buying it in large enough volumes to make its continued marketing feasible.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

The weakness of 22 rimfire at the cost of centerfire ammo! Now with improved weakness!
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Still better than a 2.7mm Kolibri. An .11 caliber, 3 grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 650 fps for a wrist snapping, mouse stopping, take down power of 3 (count 'em, 3) foot pounds.

And, if you think .25 ACP is expensive, if you can find a commercially loaded round in 2.7mm expect to pay around $70. Per round.

Your 60+ lb./ft .25 doesn't seem so puny now, does it? Looks like Magsafe offers a "Defender" round that delivers a whopping 150 lb/ft. @ 1750 fps! There is no amount of money in the world that would get me to touch off one of those in a pot metal Raven!

Joe
    ArmedPreacher likes this.

One can debate the "uselessness" of the .25 for defense, but I'll take it over a .22 LR any day just for the reliability of the centerfire ignition.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    The most effective caliber for self defense is the one that you have. While a .25 is not my first, second, third or fourth choice for self defense I will take it over my fists any day.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

You might think that the micro .380s make the .25 obsolete, but that is just not the case. There are those who find the recoil of the current crop of micro .380s objectionable, and for them, a small .25 might be the best option - if they also have issues with the .32. As noted above, ignition is better with the centerfire .25 than the rimfire .22.

As far as cost goes - the only pistol ammo that I consider "reasonable" is the 9mm. The cost of .380, .38 Special, and .45 (the other calibers I have) is prohibitive to shoot in quantity (to me). Rifle and shotgun ammo? Same thing.

Thus - we are stocking up on .22. If the proverbial SHTF, and all the other ammo gets used up, I'm willing to bet that a swarm of .22 will stop all but the most suicidal BGs out there.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links