Anyone familiar with federal's P357S1 (357sig) ammo?

This is a discussion on Anyone familiar with federal's P357S1 (357sig) ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always have carried gold dots or corbon dpx and jhp loads. Wondering how this stacks up performance wise. Also on federal's website... It lists ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By clarkston_cz
  • 1 Post By multistage

Thread: Anyone familiar with federal's P357S1 (357sig) ammo?

I always have carried gold dots or corbon dpx and jhp loads. Wondering how this stacks up performance wise. Also on federal's website... It lists this as a regular jhp and not a hydro/shock bullet. Is this bullet different than the federal hst ammo?

http://www.federalpremium.com/m/reco...cal|use&id=328

Rawah,
    I could not find any cartridge on Federal LE web site with the part number you listed, did you possibly mean P357SHST1 ? The P357SHST1 is the HST round, to the best of my knowledge Federal does not make a Hydra Shok in 357Sig. When I owned my M&PC in 357 Sig I had both Gold Dot and HST for carry rounds. When Gold Dot prices increased I only used the HST, both are excellent rounds.
    The Hydra Shok cartridge is old technology, the newer HST has been excellent with consistent penetration and expansion. The HST is not a bonded bullet like the Gold Dot, however, I have never seen a test yet that showed the HST shed its jacket. You mentioned Corbon DPX, I think it is a great round, I do not carry them because I prefer heavier bullets. Hope this helps.

i have several 50 round boxes of the stuff. ($28/50) it was the original JHP that Federal issued when introducing the round back in the mid-90's. it has always functioned well for me (in my two Sig P-229's).

Mas Ayoob says that there were some early problems with the case neck splitting when reloaders used certain .357 brass, but he never says exactly which brands had trouble.

the wound channel caused by this S1 bullet was deeper and narrower than the .357 Magnum 125 grain SJHP from Federal and Remington that was the design goal of the .357SIG caliber, but early adopters such as the Texas Highway Patrol, were very pleased with their street results.

for whatever reasons, Federal did NOT make this S1 a Hydra-Shock design, and it predates the HST design. Marshall & Sanow rated it quite well (and i realize that many DC members do not trust/believe M/S's data). i believe they had it rated in the very high 80th to low 90th percentile in stopping power.

i have found that bullet set-back can be a problem with this round, and i examine my chambered rounds carefully, and discard any which look like the bullet has been pushed back into the brass a bit.

since i believe that the Speer Gold Dot load in this caliber has proven itself very thoroughly, i have now switched to this round as my carry load, but i have kept my boxes of S1, because, to me, "superseded", does not mean, "useless".
    Last edited by sensei2; October 3rd, 2012 at 11:56 PM.

I've been digging around and Sensei 2... Looks like your right about the bullet. I dug up some tests on brassfetcher and it looked like it did okay but not amazing. I saw another post somewhere where there were some that expanded very poorly in the posters tests. After what I've seen... I will not use it as a preferred carry round. I'll stick to gold dots and corbon's jhp and dpx loads. I trust gold dots as they are the most proven in this caliber. But for some reason... My groups shrink noticeable with corbon's loads. I use a G-32.

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate it.

Sensei,
    Thank you for the info. I never thought of looking farther back to the early 90's for the cartridge.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with the Cor-Bon 125s stopping power either. The fact that they shoot well from your gun sounds even better.
    Like the DT 125 that uses the same Sierra JHP, it's one Hot Tamale!

I also have a 32, as well as an M&P 357 SIG. I use Gold Dots because it is proven, reliable, and I can get 50 rounds for 30 bucks.
    sensei2 likes this.

as i've mentioned in other threads on this site, i believe there is too much preoccupation with determining and using the, "best" SD ammunition. personally, i would feel quite well protected using any modern SD load from any reputable manufacturer, so long as it fed, fired, and cycled reliably in my gun.

as it happens, i like CorBon. their 115 grain, +P 9mm load has been my primary carry load in that caliber for years. but i have carried many other brands over the years, and the only times i've felt undergunned was when my primary carry guns were a .25ACP Raven and a .32 NAA Guardian, and this was a factor of the caliber, and not the particular SD cartridge used.

these days my 'minimum' guns are an S&W 642 (with Magsafes) and a Kahr CM-9 (with Hornady Critical Defense).

what do you guys like in .45ACP? i have more SD guns in that caliber than any other, but i'm still mostly using Federal 230 grain Hydra-Shocks, because i have a bunch of it.

I like 230 grain HST in my Kimber, as the long, arcing ogive feeds like hardball.

But really, you can't screw up too bad with a 45. Been making that stuff for 101 years. Even ball would make a hole 1/2 inch in diameter. Not much to grouch about.

Sponsored Links