380 Hornady Critical Defense or ZombieMax?

This is a discussion on 380 Hornady Critical Defense or ZombieMax? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought I would test it and see if one was a better choice than the other. Blog: Pocket Guns and Gear: Hornady 380 Terminal Test ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 380 Hornady Critical Defense or ZombieMax?

380 Hornady Critical Defense or ZombieMax?

Thought I would test it and see if one was a better choice than the other.

Blog: Pocket Guns and Gear: Hornady 380 Terminal test - Critical Defense vs. ZombieMax

Teaser Picture:
    Last edited by Ljutic; October 5th, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Looks like ZombieMax it is. I thought they were the same execpt for color of tip and casing. My local store has the zombiemax on sale so it is cheaper. It is pretty much same thing. So if the price is right.

Great report...as always!! I like the new test media and pics you are getting from them. It would be interesting to see if different lots of ammo and the velocities were consistant with what you have.
    Thanks
    Mark

Not bad for .380 JHPs. Penetration always suffers with expansion of JHPs in the .380, but those did awfully well.

I really like the new clear medium you are using, too- interesting to look at the permanent cavities that they left behind.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Awesome testing... i cant wait to get me some of that new clear gel.. been using the knox brand gel for a while now and. the new clear gel is what i been wanting..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Awesome testing... i cant wait to get me some of that new clear gel.. been using the knox brand gel for a while now and. the new clear gel is what i been wanting..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Clear Ballistics - Ballistic Gel Manufacturer - is the stuff I'm using. I remelted my first block last weekend and I think my recast is actually better than their first cast. =)
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Sorry I thought we were discussing 338 Lapua! - Post deleted!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Ljutic, those are very interesting results. I assumed they were simply the same round.

On a related note, have you ever tested the Buffalo Bore .380+P JHP out of the Kahr P380?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Interesting test, but I'll stick with FMJ-FP in .380. I'm just not comfortable with that (lack of) penetration.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Good test! I liked the way both of those rounds have cycled when I shot them out of my 4" Kimber 9mm, but I wouldn't carry the zombie max ammo just because on the very very slim chance I ever need to use it in self defense any lawyer is going to use that ammo name to make you look bad in court.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    Clear Ballistics - Ballistic Gel Manufacturer - is the stuff I'm using. I remelted my first block last weekend and I think my recast is actually better than their first cast. =)
    oh yeah, I will be ordering a block of it soon, did you buy their mold for it ?? of do you use something else ?? Im thinking im just gonna get their mold that way it will go in the oven and I wont have to try and pour of transfer it into something else....

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    Ljutic, those are very interesting results. I assumed they were simply the same round.

On a related note, have you ever tested the Buffalo Bore .380+P JHP out of the Kahr P380?
    No, I have not. Only the BB FMJ FP standard and +P, but I was only capturing speed and calculating energy back then.

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    oh yeah, I will be ordering a block of it soon, did you buy their mold for it ?? of do you use something else ?? Im thinking im just gonna get their mold that way it will go in the oven and I wont have to try and pour of transfer it into something else....
    I never do anything half way. I picked up 2 molds and 5 blocks on my initial order. The turkey roaster does work pretty well, but I think I'm going to do the two in the oven at a time thing. Hence the two molds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    I never do anything half way. I picked up 2 molds and 5 blocks on my initial order. The turkey roaster does work pretty well, but I think I'm going to do the two in the oven at a time thing. Hence the two molds.
    Yeah, Thats what I was thinking also, just remelt in the mold and be done with it... much easier.. how many pounds is your blocks??

Are they not the same round? I thought the only difference was the red vs green insert.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links