SHTF: 22LR vs .223 - Page 5

SHTF: 22LR vs .223

This is a discussion on SHTF: 22LR vs .223 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The .22lr will put more meat on your table than a .223. But for SHTF I would rather have both....

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: SHTF: 22LR vs .223

Senior Moderator
    The .22lr will put more meat on your table than a .223. But for SHTF I would rather have both.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    The .22lr will put more meat on your table than a .223. But for SHTF I would rather have both.
    Agreed. Also, just yesterday, I was reminded (in another thread) that it is quite feasible to need to reach out and touch a critter beyond the range of a .22lr. The .223 makes for a wonderfully versatile and affordable round. I think my AR needs a mate to start a family with.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    I have had this argument with my parents. They don't see any emergency lasting more that 45 days. They feel our government would be there to take care of them.
    Probably accurate, so long as the emergency is local. However, I think most of here are more concerned about something nationwide.

"Emergencies" have been used by politicians to become rulers, and they try to keep the problem going so they can stay in power.

Senior Moderator
    A .357/38 spl in a carbine or a .30 M1 carbine, are good rounds for small and large game based on their loadings and are acceptable deffensive rounds out to 100 yds are so

I have a Marlin 1894c on my wish list. It would go great with my .357 revolvers. Now we just have the M1 carbines as our main defensive long arms
    Darrow75 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The 22lr is a deadly rifle. We have 2 semi 22lr scoped. They are good at 100 yards but you really need to check the ballistic drop if you want to use them at longer ranges. I have seen that the 22lr still has the necessary ft pounds at 400 yards to penetrate but it may not cause critical damage. The 223 on the other hand is a screamer with perhaps the greatest muzzle velocity of any round and ballistic drop is far less than any other rifle round. I do shoot both. I like the 22 just fine but the 223 is for seeing down the block.

They are not as common now but years ago you could buy adapter cartridges s that would allow you to fire .22 rimfire in .223 rifles. You could also get them for .32 acp and revolver cartridges in .308 or 30.06. I have not personally used them but if I were to run across some at a gun show they might be a nice addition to the BOB. A couple of adapters and a couple of boxes of suitable .22 long rifle weigh a lot less than ammo plus another rifle.
    Also if you have the sub round in the chamber and run across something that needs more power while on your hunt you could simply cycle the action and bring a full power round into the chamber.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    They are not as common now but years ago you could buy adapter cartridges s that would allow you to fire .22 rimfire in .223 rifles.
    Inserts and adapters are still around. The guy in Anchorage may have decided to go full time, he was nearly impossible to reach for a while.

For a .223? I'd think about .22mag. That uses a larger and heavier bullet that might stabilize better.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    A .357/38 spl in a carbine or a .30 M! carbine, are good rounds for small amd large game based on their loadings and are acceptable deffensive rounds out to 100 yds are so

I have a Marlin 1894c on my wish list. It would go great with my .357 revolvers. Now we just have the M1 carbines as our main defensive long arms
    I have 3000 rounds of .357 Hornady Leverevolution for my Marlin 1894. They come screaming out of the barrel at 1800 fps, 1200fps at 100 yards. That is a hot round in my 4 inch 686 but managaable. In my suburban environment I don't see the need or ability to shoot longer than that.

I would like a Mini 14 but do I need it? Probably not, if I can't defend myself with what I have it's over regardless.
    Hopyard likes this.

Was in a class last month with a former SEAL. He picked up a rifle and said it was his ultimate zombie slayer. Turned out it was a Ruger 10/22 with a bull barrel and a 3x9 scope. When I asked why, he simply said more people have been killed with a .22 than anything else and more food has been put on the table with a .22. Add to that that ammo was plentiful and cheap, he said nothing else compared if he could only have one SHTF gun.
    Phillep Harding likes this.

How are you going to fit all those guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, 12,000lbs of water & 2,000lbs of food in your bug out bag when you have to leave?
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    How are you going to fit all those guns, thousands of rounds of ammo, 12,000lbs of water & 2,000lbs of food in your bug out bag when you have to leave?
    I think mules might work. Cars and trucks, not so much when there is no electricity to run the gasoline pumps as would certainly be the case in a SHTF deal.

Anyone know how to handle a mule train?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    All horrid, but nowhere near a SHTF situation in which large amounts of ammo and weaponry would make any difference.
    It was total SHTF for new Orleans. I strongly suggest you go to the NRA website and see about the firearm confiscation by the NOPD and our Marines. Check out YouTube...search for Katrina videos. Find the one where the young marine states he will shoot to kill Americans if so ordered. It does not make a difference whether large amounts of weapons or ammo would have made a difference...the cops and the military were breaking the doors down of private citizens to confiscate their weapons. The citizens would have been and were completely defenseless. New Orleans was not a city like LA or NY but it was big enough. Can you imagine the chaos in NY or LA if the cops and military do to them what they promised to do in New Orleans. This is not a joke! Maybe you are not old enough to remember Katrina, but those of us that are will not forget Katrina. The United States Federal Courts had to intervene on the gun grab. Thank God the NRA was there to put a stop to it. All the firearms were ordered returned to their owners...can you guess how many ended up lost.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizjimbo View Post
    It was total SHTF for new Orleans. I strongly suggest you go to the NRA website and see about the firearm confiscation by the NOPD and our Marines. Check out YouTube...search for Katrina videos. Find the one where the young marine states he will shoot to kill Americans if so ordered. It does not make a difference whether large amounts of weapons or ammo would have made a difference...the cops and the military were breaking the doors down of private citizens to confiscate their weapons. The citizens would have been and were completely defenseless. New Orleans was not a city like LA or NY but it was big enough. Can you imagine the chaos in NY or LA if the cops and military do to them what they promised to do in New Orleans. This is not a joke! Maybe you are not old enough to remember Katrina, but those of us that are will not forget Katrina. The United States Federal Courts had to intervene on the gun grab. Thank God the NRA was there to put a stop to it. All the firearms were ordered returned to their owners...can you guess how many ended up lost.
    You have conflated several different issues in rejoinder, so all I will say is that we have a very different concept
    of what SHTF means. In fact, your very comment about the US Federal Courts intervening [ and they did intervene
    in a number of matters more serious than gun confiscation----e.g., folks tossed into jail and never brought to a court-]
    shows that there was no SHTF scenario there.

When folks talk about SHTF scenarios requiring a stockpile of thousands of rounds, they likely are imagining a situation
    in which none of the stabilizing institutions of society, police, courts, military, news dissemination, are functioning.

In NOLA, we had chaos. We had disaster. We had some instances of official wrongdoing. We had lots of stuff go wrong,
    and we had General Russel Honore show up and quickly start fixing things.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Just wondering: why choose the .223 or the .22LR? There are several rifle cartridges between those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You have conflated several different issues in rejoinder, so all I will say is that we have a very different concept
    of what SHTF means. In fact, your very comment about the US Federal Courts intervening [ and they did intervene
    in a number of matters more serious than gun confiscation----e.g., folks tossed into jail and never brought to a court-]
    shows that there was no SHTF scenario there.

When folks talk about SHTF scenarios requiring a stockpile of thousands of rounds, they likely are imagining a situation
    in which none of the stabilizing institutions of society, police, courts, military, news dissemination, are functioning.

In NOLA, we had chaos. We had disaster. We had some instances of official wrongdoing. We had lots of stuff go wrong,
    and we had General Russel Honore show up and quickly start fixing things.
    Then as Bill Clinton once asked..."It all depends on what the meaning of the word SHTF is"...I seem to believe that the LEO and US Military usurping the constitution with no constitutional authority is getting awfully close to SHTF. Civil unrest is an element of civil SHTF but tossing the constitution is another matter altogether. So the Federal Courts worked. What if next time they pull an obama and say we are not going to obey the laws of the United States, we are not going to obey the courts, we will not enforce laws we do not like. If you don't see our constitution moving towards the shredder you are not paying attention to current events. The law is what we say it is. When is enough enough. The question is...how many of your inalienable rights and constitutional rights are you going to surrender?
    JayTee likes this.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links