Defensive Carry banner

SHTF: 22LR vs .223

76K views 94 replies 48 participants last post by  Ghost1958 
#1 ·
What's your opinion on the effectiveness of .22LR vs .223 for a suburban environment in a SHTF senario? I just picked up a Rugar 10/22 with 25,000 rounds of ammo. My reasons for going with the .22:

Cost, .22 LR .04 cents per round/.223 about .40 cents a round.

Weight, in a bug out situation I could carry much more .22LR in my BOG.

Easy to shoot, this will be the fallback for my wife to protect herself and the kids if I go down. I have six 25 round mags and will take her to the range soon.

If sooting indoors or in a urban environment the overpenatration of .223 would be fearsome.

These were just a few reasons I choose the 10/22.

I also have 2 mossberg 12 gauge with 3000 rounds "00" buck. 9mm/40 cal 18,000 rounds, 4000 rounds of .357 mag with S&W 686 and Marlin 1894.

Of course the real answer to my question is have both platforms available to shoot. I really want a mini 14 with 10,000 rounds but my first safe is full and I've put close to $20,000 in guns an ammo in it over the last 2 months. Better to spend my dollars while they still have worth. If time permits I will add the mini 14. Just curious if you would feel comfortable with a 10/22 in a SHTF seniaro.

See less See more
#90 ·
If you need more than 200 rounds to resolve an issue, better have them used by friends who can shoot.

Ammo usage comes up off and on in survival groups and use-net "alt.survival" and "misc.survivalism". The two use-net groups can be searched with Google. Consensus usually boils down to 200 to 300 cartridges being the outside maximum you'll be able to use in a single firefight you have a chance to survive (ignoring full auto weapons), and that usually assumes a defensible position, like the home bunker.

People usually start talking about military load out, but there are several factors there that most of us are not effected by. Full auto firearms, team mates to cover your back, supposed to go out and look for trouble, young men is excellent health, etc.

Any who wants to delve further into how much of what to have on hand, should go over to:

SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA

Fernando (FerFAL) is an Argentinian who was there for the 2001 collapse. His early writing is excellent (even if the English is a bit fractured), and the more recent looks good. There for a while, he was lured into talking too much, beyond what he could say for sure. He describes, among other things, how family members would be kidnapped and tortured in front of a sealed home to get the family to agree to open the doors so the bandits could come inside and torture and kill the rest of the family. Really worth reading and thinking about if you have family.

He also has comments about how much ammo and which firearms to use for daily carry when/where a bandit might target you for no more than the gun at your waist.

#93 ·
Well my 2 cents...

Knowing what little I know, and being as uninformed as I am, I would leave your current location as soon as possible to avoid loss of stuff. Strange how we people go into the internet, where we totally lay out our plans, stuff, and privacy and allow the powers that have the power, to follow our trail. I have been on websites that told me where (town) I was, and what my provider name is. If simple websites can do that, imagine what those intent on your demise in a SHTF, have and will be doing? I believe that privacy and internet are impossible. Every site, every word every thing we do, is monitored and watched.

So if you are really concerned get to somewhere, and don't tell anyone. Of course if you feel the need to seek advice off the internet, get a throw-away smart phone from a carrier and get your info, and toss the phone.

Personally, I think that right now someone has found your name, address, and entered it into their database as a target to acquire at the SHTF time.

#94 ·
I'd opt for the 22lr simply for the fact that, like the Mosin, I can buy a few cheap, lots of ammo and arm a small army if need be. For the price of a good AR, I could buy 3 Ruger 10/22s and a few thousand rounds for the whole household and then an extra for back-up or a buddy to pick up. And, as stated before, ammo is a great barter tool and I would find it easier to trade off a few 22lr when I have thousands instead of .223 that I have much less of. As for defensive abilities, sure the AR has more power and range, but I don't plan to travel alone much in a SHTF situation...there will always be a volley of 2 or 3 Rugers, which can be very lethal and/or very persuasive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.