I feel real bad

I feel real bad

This is a discussion on I feel real bad within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the range the other day. While I was there I noticed a father and his two young sons, maybe 11 and 12. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I feel real bad

I feel real bad

I went to the range the other day. While I was there I noticed a father and his two young sons, maybe 11 and 12. While I was shooting I felt something around my ankle and I kicked back. Now keep in mind this all happened very quickly. I guess I kicked back out of instinct. I put down my gun and heard yelling. I looked back and one of those boys had been picking up casings and I had kicked him right in the head. What kind of person lets their kid pick up casings around peoples feet lol.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Young kids running loose at the range = accident. Bad.
    joker1 and kmagnuss like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    While I was shooting I felt something around my ankle and I kicked back

I looked back and one of those boys had been picking up casings ...
    On a hot firing line, while you were shooting. Poor training and stupidity knows no bounds.

I'm assuming the father got an earful of wisdom, from you, regarding the inherent deadly risk to everyone in such a situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

He was with his sons shooting. This gave me a nice warm feeling when I walked in the place. Not only father son time but another generation being taught about firearms.

The father got an ear full from everyone there. I felt really bad. The kid was crying. I didn't think I kicked that hard but I might have or maybe I caught him just right. I should not have to feel bad because I kicked someone in the head at the range. He should be glad I didn't have my heels on. I have started to wear them from time to time at the range. A woman doesn't have the time to say, " Hey Mr Rapist, let me change my shoes so I have a better chance." Those heels could have really hurt him.

After this happened I didn't feel much like shooting anymore. Many of you know this is my ME time. I really enjoy my time at the range. I felt so bad I just couldn't enjoy myself.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

That sucks for you and the kid. I was at Disnyland once on a very crowded day. Was talking with my wife about what to do and where to go. Once decided where to go, I spun around (quickly) and plowed into a 2 yr old girl that had wandered behind me. Never saw her until she hit the ground. MAN DID I FEEL LIKE AN ASS!! Couldn't apologize more to her and the parents. The girl cried, but she was OK and the parents were really understanding. Luckily my youngest daughter (8-9 at the time) came to my rescue by comforting the little girl while I apologized to the parents. I still think about that even today (5yrs later), and I now glance over my shoulder before I turn around.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Senior Moderator
    Speaking as a Daddy of two small boys, if I have both of them I cannot always keep an eye on them. The boy might have got the idea himself to pick up brass for his Dad. I know my youngest loves to pick up "bullets" for Daddy, but I don't take them both with me when I go shooting
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Young kids running loose at the range = accident. Bad.
    Yes! = Tragic accident!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I am sure the Dad felt even worse than you did. We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them, in this instance not a lot of harm was done. I would think the father would take another look at his safety techniques and then get back on the horse.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I have two kids. They are both well-behaved for being 3 and 5, but when we're "out and about" I make sure to keep them under control and out from under others' feet as I find permitting such behavior to be inconsiderate of others. Obviously they are far too young for the range, but when the time comes they will be taught that courtesy and consideration of others fosters safety.

If the father of those two boys was encouraging/permitting them to collect spent brass at the feet of other shooters, he's lucky that all his boy got was a little kick to his noggin. Could've been much worse (for who knows else) had you or someone else been tripped/knocked off balance while shooting/handling a loaded gun.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    IMHO-You got a little lucky the dad wasn't one of those "my angels can do no wrong" types. "HOW DARE YOU KICK MY KID!?" kind of confrontation,...Wouldn't be fun.

I can see how that would ruin an enjoyable range trip.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Feel bad about kicking the kid? Sure.

Guilty about doing it? Nope.

Best to be hoped for is that the kid now knows to be aware and not do anything on a live firing line without being told. Hope the dad got a few parenting skill refreshers too.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    I went to the range the other day. While I was there I noticed a father and his two young sons, maybe 11 and 12. While I was shooting I felt something around my ankle and I kicked back. Now keep in mind this all happened very quickly. I guess I kicked back out of instinct. I put down my gun and heard yelling. I looked back and one of those boys had been picking up casings and I had kicked him right in the head. What kind of person lets their kid pick up casings around peoples feet lol.
    Glad to hear everything ended up well. Were they shooting at the range also or just picking up the casings? That would disturb me a little bit seeing a father allow his sons to snoop up to a live shooter.

Stay safe!

VIP Member
    The range around here will not allow 3 people on the line in the same lane for exactly this type reason - lack of supervision. In addition to the potential danger from being unsupervised at the range, there is the risk of lead and other poisioning from getting all the grit/dirt/crap from the floor of the range. Lots of danger in that as well. Dad needs to rethink his actions...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sounds like a huge disaster was averted. At least all the kid got was a little kick. It could have ended in a much worse incident. You did just fine. It was the father who must accept responsibility for what happened. It's great that he wanted to take his kids shooting but he must still be a father and take responsibility for his children's actions. If the kids can't be on good behavior when left unsupervised for a short time, then the father should only take one child with him at a time, and alternate each time.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I'd likely do the same thing. I understand how you must have felt, but hopefully it was an instant learning opportunity for the young one...and dad.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links