Defensive Carry banner

Defensive Ammo for Kahr P45

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Kimberpackn 
#1 ·
Still trying to determine the best defensive ammo for my Kahr P45. Also, should I be using the same grain ammo as the HP cartridge when at the range, while not spending the $ for the defense ammo?

#2 ·
Hi fff.....I like the results Remington Golden Sabers produce for defense purposes. I've tested several other performance rounds ( fed. hydra-shock, fed. HST and so forth) but none have performed as consistantly strong as the Golden Saber.

I test fire (at 25 yards) into containers 4 to 5 inches thick (plastic square jars etc). I fill them with wet sand and back them up with a chunk of 4x4. From a 4' barrelled Beretta .40 S&W, I fire into the center and usually am able to retrieve the round at the very back wall of the container. The Goldens Sabers expand equally to .80 (double) with full weight retention. Penetration with varied styled performance rounds also run about the same into this wet sand.

Others tested come no where even close. I went with the 180grs in my .40 as they run @1,000 fps and about 412 lbs energy. Since I don't have any 10% balistics gel laying around.....the wet sand yields a good indicator of bullet performance...

I also think you should practice with target loads of the same weight so you can become acustomed to the recoil being relatively the same.

Lots of choices out there....just what I have experienced.

neverenough

#3 ·
I'd say that the above test is far fetched i test into Calibrated gel at ten feet and always get perfect expansion in the federal HST and ranger T's Remington golden saber is a outdated bullet and nine out of ten times they have jacket seperation... I say go with what works best in your weapon.... But highly recommend the HST or ranger t's... Pic is of three HST in 9mm .40 and .45
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#4 ·
Try a few different types of JHPs to see what feeds and shoots well for you. Most of the .45 loads are either 185 or 230 gr range, and there will be a small shift in point of impact between the two. In a compact piece like yours I'd avoid +P ammo, and in fact I've never felt the need for it even in my larger .45s.

There's a ton of info out there on the "best" defensive loads, but if you stick with the major brands (Remington, Federal, Winchester, Speer, Hornady) you'll be well-equipped. It's not like the latest and greatest JHP is a death ray and the older designs bounce off BGs. Once you decide on your carry ammo, then find a practice round that shoots with about the same recoil and POI.

#10 ·
Thanks for you response. I have heard that you should practice with the same ammo that you are carrying for defense. Do you suggest that I should practice with the same or just the same weight load, as it is much more expensive. thanks
I think you should practice with the same bullet weight as you choose for your (expensive) defense rounds.....but yes go with the "target" stuff to avoid bankruptcy!!

Another note....lyodbraun states the Golden Saber is an "outdated bullet"....I don't know, but the way I see it, the Colt 1911 could be described as outdated. Keeerap....it's a 101 year old design. But...pretty damn hard to beat. And as far as a "far-fetched" test.....like I said I don't have any 10% ballistic gel layin' around (really, I looked throughout the entire garage)......the wet sand test show results when a round is sent into....WET SAND. I'm not saying most bad guys are made of wet sand, I'm just saying Remington Golden Sabers do an excellent job of penetration, expansion and weight retention and that my tests give a "relative" indicator of performance. I like 'em....but then I'm pretty much a fan of 1911's also.

neverenough

#8 ·
I'll tell you what not to use. Do not use Hornady TAP 200 Grain. I tried it and it locked my pistol up tight. The bullets are too long and keep the P45 from returning to full battery, but also wedge into the rifling that keeps you from extracting the round in the chamber.

These work great in my XDs. I need to try them both in my P45.

Ranger T+P and HST both 230 grain.

Seriously considering running HST 230 in every 45. Any 45 that can't feed that round will be sold.

Practice will be a mix of HST and Lawman TMJ 230 grain. They feel pretty close on recoil, and are matched on velocity.

#9 ·
I agree with ljutic Hornady just nothing special that's for sure... Great pics ljutic and testing enjoy your videos....

Here is a pic of two .ranger t's HST'S and two speer gold dots in 45acp the HST to the right of the quarter is a 40 s&w.. To give idea how well they expand...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#11 ·
IMHO, I would prioritize which .45 acp brand, load & bullet weight ran flawlessly in my EDC well-before I would concern myself with bullet design & expansion studies. And no recommendation from here is gonna' tell you that. I like Hornady 200 gr. XTP for accuracy & reliability in MY G36 but that doesn't mean it'll run smooth & straight in your P45. And there are no guarantees even between seemingly identical handguns. Handgun/ammo combinations can be finicky, only trial (and sometimes error) can give a definitive answer.

#12 ·
LJ I agree with you on the Hornady's. once I discovered my Kahr could only shoot "selective" 45 acp rounds, I sold the thing. I never trusted it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.