Reaffirming at Classic - Terminal Test on Speer 9mm GDHP 115 Grain

This is a discussion on Reaffirming at Classic - Terminal Test on Speer 9mm GDHP 115 Grain within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bad weather kept me off the range today, so instead I spent the afternoon working on my new Clear Gel testing standards for my YouTube ...

Thread: Reaffirming at Classic - Terminal test on Speer 9mm GDHP 115 Grain

Reaffirming at Classic - Terminal test on Speer 9mm GDHP 115 Grain

Bad weather kept me off the range today, so instead I spent the afternoon working on my new Clear Gel testing standards for my YouTube Channel and Blogs. This is the first of what I hope will be many tests in this new format.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal Ballistics testing Speer Gold Dot 9mm 115 Grain GDHP

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

2. Remove Ads

Fantastic job, I got my clear gel from Clear ballistics last week and I have to say its been doing great, alot easier to work with than using my old Gel that had to be kept in the Firdge... how are you re melting your gel ?? and do you do it in your house or outside or in a garage ?? anyways keep up the great work ...

Excellent report!

You're work is appreciated very much.

I do have to wonder how this load would do out of a pm9 barrel. I wonder how much more penetration / less expansion would occur with a shorter barrel, and also how the 115grain would differ from the previously tested 124 grain.

Quote Originally Posted by UCBearcat View Post
    I do have to wonder how this load would do out of a pm9 barrel. I wonder how much more penetration / less expansion would occur with a shorter barrel, and also how the 115grain would differ from the previously tested 124 grain.
    I'm sure I'll circle back on this load in a 3" or 3.5" barrel at some point. After seeing how it did from the G17, I decided it would be a good one to keep on hand in quantity. I also want to try it from the KelTec Sub 2K.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Fantastic job, I got my clear gel from Clear ballistics last week and I have to say its been doing great, alot easier to work with than using my old Gel that had to be kept in the Firdge... how are you re melting your gel ?? and do you do it in your house or outside or in a garage ?? anyways keep up the great work ...
    Thanks. Clear Ballistics and I have been working on a special discount for my blog readers that want to try their hand at testing with the gel. I have the code up on the blog now. You might want to check for the code before ordering any additional gel. Every little bit saved helps.

I bought a 22 Quart roaster from Walmart.com. I've only done one recast so far and the roaster worked well. I made every mistake in the book including losing my spoon in the melting gel, but my first recast had less bubbles in it than the original blocks that Clear Ballistics delivered to me so even a newbie can recast it. I always work in the garage. SIM-test or Clear Gel.

I'm investing in some different molds and another cooker that should let me re-process more gel in the same amount of time it takes to re-process 1 block.
    Last edited by Ljutic; October 14th, 2012 at 11:03 AM.

Links