Test Media...Water Soaked Phone Books?

This is a discussion on Test Media...Water Soaked Phone Books? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I understand there are various test media used to check bullet performance. I was reading one "home grown" test on-line and he used, and I ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 3 Post By Brad426

Thread: test Media...Water Soaked Phone Books?

test Media...Water Soaked Phone Books?

I understand there are various test media used to check bullet performance. I was reading one "home grown" test on-line and he used, and I quote, "Phone books were fully soaked for 16 hours".
    http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-1.html
    http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-1-results.html

Question:
    Are the results obtained using soaked phone books worth any kind of consideration when pondering possible bullets to use for self-defense?

Thanks
    Last edited by SouthernGun; October 15th, 2012 at 02:13 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I would use it as a way of finding bullets after they were shot, personally. Not sure how they compare to actual flesh and bone.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Question:
    Are the results obtained using soaked phone books worth any kind of consideration when pondering possible bullets to use for self-defense?

Yes, if you're ever attacked by a group of Zombie phone books.

Brand "A" may expand bettter than brand "B" in a wet phone book, whereas brand "B" may expand better than "A" in jel. It's all subjective. Buy a pork hindquarter and blast away. It's as close to reality as it gets (but expensive and a waste of good pork).
    Brad426 and marcclarke like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Question:

Yes, if you're ever attacked by a group of Zombie phone books.

Brand "A" may expand bettter than brand "B" in a wet phone book, whereas brand "B" may expand better than "A" in jel. It's all subjective. Buy a pork hindquarter and blast away. It's as close to reality as it gets (but expensive and a waste of good pork).
    You'll be laughing out of the other side of your mouth when the Zombie Phone Book Apocalypse starts, boy howdy.
    BigJon10125, OldVet and pgrass101 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    In about a month pumpkins will be cheaper. punch a tiny hole in the top and fill with water. Added benefit, you don't have to clean up afterwards, deer love them.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

With all the current competition & published nose-to-nose comparisons between defensive ammo, why would you WANT to waste time, ammo, money, water & phone books? Practice a smooth presentation & sound shooting technique instead.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

GH
    Have fun looking up a phone number after your test, lol.

I know for a fact that I can kill sheets of paper with concentric circles on them & my ammo (any of it) has penetrated that fearsome foe so far.

I won't get into ballistics found in actual combat that I went through in the Army. I'd rather keep it to myself. Suffice to say that 5.56MM FMJ is sufficient.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

The "trick" (if there is one ) to doing a good bullet test is to use a consistent test medium. Soaked phone books (or newspapers) can't offer consistency due to varying paper types (glossy v. matte) and construction -think "heavy-weight" (ads) v. "newprint" (pages) v. "cardstock" (covers) which leaves calibrated gelatin or water. Then there's the issue of an adequate "soak time" -somewhere between one day and a few months depending upon who you ask.

If cost/ease of use is an issue, water is your best bet- just use a Fackler box (a long box that holds several one gallon storage bags full of water) and you can see what your rounds are doing. There are bullet penetration models (found in MacPherson's "Bullet Penetration" or Schwartz's "Quantitative Ammunition Selection") that will allow you to calculate terminal penetration depth and permanent wound cavity mass if you need to do so.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Looks of those rounds I am going to run around with a soaked phone book on my chest :)

Use calibrated ballistic gelatin.

Links