Confusion about carry ammo

Confusion about carry ammo

This is a discussion on Confusion about carry ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why is there such a disparity when people talk about the best defensive carry ammo? No one seems to have a lock on the best. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Confusion about carry ammo

Unhappy Confusion about carry ammo

Why is there such a disparity when people talk about the best defensive carry ammo? No one seems to have a lock on the best. Seems that with as much science and research as we have today, we should have a number 1,2,3 & 4. But every where you look, the 9mm is better, the 357 Sig is better, the 40 S&W is better, the 45 ACP is better, the 10 mm is better, ad naseum.

The other argument is...there is no difference, they all suck as defensive rounds. I drives me crazy to look at all the info and still not be able to come to some logical conclusion.

Anything new in this age old argument, or am I right on both counts?

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Seem to me that's like asking why someone hasn't ranked the 5 best types of shoes. People have different needs, preferences, opinions, and purposes for what they carry. Ammo comparisons go hand-in-hand with gun comparisons, as well... I may think that .357 magnum is the best defense ammo, but I want to shoot it from my LCP. Not gonna happen.
    Brad426 and pgrass101 like this.

Caliber wars are always gonna' be around. They've always been around. Some folks absolutely love that battlefront. Heck, I've seen guys fist fight over Ford vs. Chevy. If you, like me, don't care, then my best suggestion is...DON'T CARE!
    Fisher10 and Poseidon like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

There is no 'best' round for every given purpose. They're all a compromise of some kind and no practical defensive handgun round is as effective as a rifle caliber. Leave this argument in the ground.

What it all boils down to is your punching approximately pencil sized holes in a meat bag. Sure there are rounds with more power, more fragmentation, more petals, etc but when it comes down to the nitty gritty what you are doing is finding the limit of the meat bag to take abuse.

As long as you stick with a round that has a proven track record such as the Speer Gold Dots or Winchester SXT that is designed to go bang most often under real world conditions you should be fine and long as you perforate the meat bag sufficiently.
    LouisianaMan likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Funny thing is, more often than not - when these get brought up the answers aren't usually what's best, but what the responding person uses.

Another take:
    People like to validate their purchases, and getting someone to agree with them and buy what they do makes them feel like they made the right decision.

You'll see crap like this all the time:
    "I got a 40 and my buddy Petey (who's a cop so he knows about guns) also got a 40, it's what their whole department uses!!!!!!... 'nuff said."

As I see it......................use the caliber / gun you are accurate with.....a miss with a .45 is still a miss.
    lchamp likes this.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    As I see it......................use the caliber / gun you are accurate with.....a miss with a .45 is still a miss.
    Shhhh, nobody here misses - we're all super heroes.

Can also depend on the length of your barrel. There is a reason short barrel ammo is made. All you can do is read, read, read, watch videos on ballistic gel tests and then read some more. You will find the brand you think is best from all the investigating you have done.

There are always going to be those that think bigger is better. The gun you shoot the most accurate with and you feel the most comfortable with is always the best choice. Combined with the best ammo for that gun will always be the best the choice for you.

I carry a Ruger sr9c with speer gold dot short barrel ammo. This is the best choice for me. This does not mean it is the best choice for you.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

The best bullet is the one that hits the target where you want. The rest is fodder for people to argue about instead of working.
    LouisianaMan likes this.

Rule #1 - ONLY HITS COUNT.
    Rule #2 - BIG HITS COUNT MORE THAN SMALL HITS.
    Rule #3 - THERE'S NO SECOND PLACE WINNER.

(*with Special Thanks to Col. Jeff Cooper & Mr. Bill Jordan)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

GH
    I only load my gun with ammo that will neutralize an attacker.

Now don't be silly & ask which is the best, lol,lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Like everyone says 'a well placed hit with a small caliber trumps a miss by a really big round'.

Practice with whatever you choose to own and rent other calibers and weapons for further research.

Every handgun I own fits nicely and comfortably in my hand and I have practiced extensively with them. I trust the gun to go 'bang' when it should and I expect to hit my target. Otherwise, I should just leave them in the gun safe and hibernate.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't want to be on the wrong end of the "best" SD ammo--ever! Don't want to be on the wrong end of the "worst" SD ammo either. Both can ruin a perfectly good day for anyone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

If there was a "best ammo" everyone would know it. Some are better than others for certian things. Figure out your priorities and select your ammo. Don't get caught up in marketing hype.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links