Underwood Ammo 9mm +P+ GDJHP Short Barrel test

Underwood Ammo 9mm +P+ GDJHP Short Barrel Test

This is a discussion on Underwood Ammo 9mm +P+ GDJHP Short Barrel Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found out one of my short barrel pocket 9's was approved for the 1400 fps Underwood Ammo. I tested it this weekend. I didn't ...

Underwood Ammo 9mm +P+ GDJHP Short Barrel test

I found out one of my short barrel pocket 9's was approved for the 1400 fps Underwood Ammo. I tested it this weekend. I didn't make 1400, but 1333 wasn't too shabby from a 3.3" barrel.

Blog Article
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Underwood Ammo 9mm +P+ 115 GDJHP Clear Gel Ballistics test

Teaser Picture
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Wow nice !!! Thanks for sharing. God Bless

tnoutdoors9 channel on youtube has a bunch of tests with Underwood ammo. ALL hit the advertised muzzle velocity or exceed it. Too bad my M&P isn't rated for +P+ ammo.

Great work. I'm glad you pointed out that you were happy it didn't reach the advertised velocity due to the shorter barrel. At the higher velocity you may have encountered bullet failure (fragmenting, etc.). I like some of the Underwood loads, but I think they may be driving the bullets faster than they were designed to handle.

Nice.

Thanks!
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    tnoutdoors9 channel on youtube has a bunch of tests with Underwood ammo. ALL hit the advertised muzzle velocity or exceed it. Too bad my M&P isn't rated for +P+ ammo.
    I didnt know that they werent rated for +p+. I thought being in competition with Glock they would be.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I didnt know that they werent rated for +p+. I thought being in competition with Glock they would be.
    I think it's the standard disclaimer that "There are no SAAMI specs for +P+ ammunition, and we therefore cannot guarantee..."

I've shot 100+ rounds of the 127-gr. Winchester Ranger +P+ through both an M&P9c and an M&P Shield with no apparent adverse effect.

EDIT: Looking at the Mouseguns article, it seems like a bonded 147-gr. bullet would do even better at 1150 fps instead of a 115-gr. at 1350. I note the permanent crush cavity is larger than a comparable 115-gr. load, but the penetration depth is pretty much the same as the regular Speer 115-gr. loads.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I think I saw that video. Didn't tnoutdoors have trouble with the Gold Dot slug not opening? Seems like he said something about the round traveling too fast and it had an affect on expansion...
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I would imagine that firing that bullet at 250 fps faster than it's designed for would cause it to expand rapidly, then overexpand, i.e. the petals fold all the way back such that the end diameter is actually slightly smaller than it would be otherwise. This is less of an issue, I think, since the bullet was fully expanded for much of its travel after impact. With a bonded bullet, there's less of a chance of losing bullet petals, but if you push it too far, you might start bullet fragmentation.

I am curious exactly what the pressure of their +P+ loads is... IIRC, the other notable +P+ is the Winchester Ranger-T 127-gr. +P+, which is only supposed to be another 10% or so over +P.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, it says it in my manual, I think SamRudolph explained it though. Personally, I'll stick to +P as having a polymer explosion in my hand isn't worth it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Well, it says it in my manual, I think SamRudolph explained it though. Personally, I'll stick to +P as having a polymer explosion in my hand isn't worth it.

^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

To the OP,,
    WHat "pocket 9" do you have that is +P+ rated.

I would think that if Smith says NO-NO in an M&P then who says OK?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by XDshooter View Post
    I think I saw that video. Didn't tnoutdoors have trouble with the Gold Dot slug not opening? Seems like he said something about the round traveling too fast and it had an affect on expansion...
    Actually, on the 115gr +P+ Underwood normal 9mm load he got 1434fps average in a Glock 19 and had 9" of penetration and MASSIVE expansion of .88". Not sure if the other loads 124 and 147gr were the same.

EDIT: went back and looked, all of the Underwood 9mm rounds did very well on tnoutdoors9 SIM tests.

Links