Federal HST 357 Sig Expansion into water jugs and wet newspaper+ an Expanded FBI .40

Federal HST 357 Sig Expansion into water jugs and wet newspaper+ an Expanded FBI .40

This is a discussion on Federal HST 357 Sig Expansion into water jugs and wet newspaper+ an Expanded FBI .40 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went out to shoot some water jugs to try and recover some of the HST ammo I had gotten for my glock 32 in ...

I went out to shoot some water jugs to try and recover some of the HST ammo I had gotten for my glock 32 in 357 sig. Expansion was excellent as I've read. I also managed to shoot and recover a bonded .40 load from a friend in LE thinking my friend had loaded up the 180gr hst he just got in the mag for me. By mistake... I grabbed the other loaded mag of his thinking it was hst in .40 and shot two round of it. After recovering one of the rounds... it was obvious I hadn't shot the HST I meant to. Both the Federal HST 357 sig and LE .40 Ranger bonded were all found in the third gallon jug.
    I built a 6ft wood "bone box" that I had been shooting into from ten feet. I managed to shoot one of the 357 sig HST's low and after the first water jug it hit the bottom of the box in the direction of the grain... then went along the side of a plastic bucket in back with wet newspaper effectively leaving a path along the length of the bucket. The round was pretty torn up and deformed as well as lost two of the six petals. But it still was nasty and I wouldn't want to get hit by it regardless.... hst expansion 1.jpghst1 overview.jpghst expansion2 (1024x768).jpgfbi 40 expansion.jpgfbi underside expansion.jpghst vs fbi 1.jpg
    Last edited by Rawah; October 19th, 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Some pics of the 357 sig HST that hit the BOX and bucket....

hst hard hit 2.jpghst hard hit1.jpghst top view hard hit.jpg

This is the "Box" I use to shoot into. It was actually built to test penetration for bullets for moose and bear which is why you see dividers in it. That gave us the ability to put different material to try and simulate layers of skin... fat/muscle.... and then bone (we use cow bones) in the next section.

This time though... the dividers weer gone... each shot had 4 gallon jugs and then a 5 gallon bucket packed full of soaked shredded newspaper on its side down to catch anything that made it through the jugs.....
    bone box.jpg

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't want to get hit by anything. I ain't Superman (nothing is going to bounce off) and I ain't the Flash, but I'm going to do a pretty good imitation of the latter.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rawah View Post
    I went out to shoot some water jugs to try and recover some of the HST ammo I had gotten for my glock 32 in 357 sig. Expansion was excellent as I've read. I also managed to shoot and recover a bonded .40 load from a friend in LE thinking my friend had loaded up the 180gr hst he just got in the mag for me. By mistake... I grabbed the other loaded mag of his thinking it was hst in .40 and shot two round of it. After recovering one of the rounds... it was obvious I hadn't shot the HST I meant to. Both the Federal HST 357 sig and LE .40 Ranger bonded were all found in the third gallon jug.
    I built a 6ft wood "bone box" that I had been shooting into from ten feet. I managed to shoot one of the 357 sig HST's low and after the first water jug it hit the bottom of the box in the direction of the grain... then went along the side of a plastic bucket in back with wet newspaper effectively leaving a path along the length of the bucket. The round was pretty torn up and deformed as well as lost two of the six petals. But it still was nasty and I wouldn't want to get hit by it regardless.... hst expansion 1.jpghst1 overview.jpghst expansion2 (1024x768).jpgfbi 40 expansion.jpgfbi underside expansion.jpghst vs fbi 1.jpg
    Not surprised. The rounds you mention have a solid reputation for expansion and penetration.

Yup HST is a fantastic round here is a pic of some HST's in 9.40.45 its what i use in my glock 30

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Links