Defensive Carry banner

9mm: Which has highest ft-lbs muzzle energy?

17K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Tros 
#1 ·
I'm beginning a selection of ammo for a CZ 75 P01 Compact 9mm semi-auto and would like to try a handful of the most-powerful hollow-point 9mm factory loads made. Suggestions?

My goals: High power; general availability not an issue, as I'll order well ahead of time for my preferred carry stash; perfect reliability in my gun (which I'll have to determine, via testing).

One option:

#2 ·
Hello. In terms of foot-lbs of kinetic energy, I suspect that your Federal 115-gr. +P+ along with Corbon's 115-gr. JHP +P and perhaps Winchester Ranger 127-gr. +P+ will probably lead the pack.

I am not personally aware (as in speaking with the shooter) of success stories with the Federal, though accounts that I've read have been most encouraging. I do know of 3 instances in which the Corbon 115-gr. JHP +P was used with very nice (and fatal) results. Likewise, Winchesters LE-only RA9TA 127-gr. +P+ has a "good reputation."

In +P, but more sedately loaded as the round is loaded to meet/exceed FBI protocols, I've closely looked at Corbon's 115-gr. DPX +P and am mightily impressed with this round's boringly consistent expansion whether smacking bare gelatin or passing through various intermediate barriers. In my opinion, this one is going to be the one to beat. It penetrates more than the conventional 115-gr. JHP's and while +P, is not so fast at the Corbon 115-gr. JHP, which uses the aggressively-expanding Sierra Power Jacket Hollow Point.

I've gotten very nice accuracy out of all three rounds when fired from Browning Hi Powers, CZ-75's, and an STI Trojan 9mm.

If interested, here are some links that might be of use:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPower127Winchester.htm

The above article was written before DPX hit the market. I flat don't know which is the "better" of the two. Here is what I found with the DPX:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Corbon 9mm 115.htm

Best.

#3 ·
Not sure if Steve Camp has gone thru all the 9mm top power offerings but - well worth taking a peek on his site - some very useful test and evaluation data there.

http://www.highpowersandhandguns.com/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haha - talk of Steve - and there he is - two minutes ahead of me! Thx Steve :smilez:

#6 ·
Pickpocket said:
Dude - it's a pistol.
Of course. Not all pistols are equal. Nor shooters. I can use it, reasonably effectively it turns out. Hence the question.

BTW, I'm about as accurate with +P and +P+ hot factory and hand loads, on close-range tactical courses. Muzzle rise fools with timing, but accuracy is similar. Go figure. So, I know these hotter loads don't turn a decent mid- to large-sized 9mm pistol into an unusable beast, at least in the two guns I've used hotter loads in. A 4-5" barreled 9mm is manageable. Though, I'll grant that anything over 350 ft-lbs @ 1150ftp (or so) is hard to manage in a smaller, truly compact gun. No arguments there. Keep in mind: those other situations are not the focus of my question. :wink:

#9 ·
Foot pounds are not the entire answer...
Gang: I understand ALL of this. However, this thread is about ft-lbs. Let's keep on track. Choices/options, for me to consider. I'll review in proper context, once I've got options. Thx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.