Need help about ammo please

This is a discussion on Need help about ammo please within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this is probably a dumb question, please excuse my ignorance. I have been carry since 1998 but I was never really into firearms ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SpencerB
  • 1 Post By jonny4523
  • 1 Post By GH

Thread: Need help about ammo please

Need help about ammo please

I know this is probably a dumb question, please excuse my ignorance. I have been carry since 1998 but I was never really into firearms as far as wanting to learn about how they work, what kind of ammo, even important things as having a good quality holster.. i just carried in my pocket or in an uncle mikes type holster.. To the point: So im learning a lot these days on certain firearms, mostly the Glock 27 I carry, Shooting atleast twice a month, However today I was at walmart and saw Winchester FMJ .40 cal..100 rounds for 34 bucks so I picked them up. I carry hollow points in all my mags. so If I needed to fire, hopefully some bystander wouldn't get hit.. So Im just wondering the best ammo for carry and also for target practice. With hollow points being so expensive is there an alternattive to them that I can stock up on? Told you Im a little behind, Im greatful to all you who have the knowledge and teach us newer guys/(gals too), the right accessories to use.. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I shoot FMJ for practice because it's not as expensive. I have 500+ rounds of FMJ and only about 100 rounds on hollowpoint. You should shoot some hollowpoints out of your weapon to make sure they feed fine but other than that just shoot the FMJ.
    nerdyvirgin likes this.

Ok cool , thanks so much.. I have shot the hollows through to test them, they seem fine.

Shoot a ton of FMJ to practice. Your skill level will matter more than the type of ammo. I'll shoot groups with different defensive loads and have found one that seems to group better than the others. But other than that, it's up to me to put them where it counts.
    mg27 likes this.

GH
    For what it's worth - I shoot Federal American Eagle 165 gr FMJ .40 at the range. My carry load is Federal Tactical Bonded HST 180 gr. Of course I shoot a 14 round mag of the Tactical each time I'm at the range just to be aware of the difference. I'd shoot more of them in practice but they're expensive & hard to get.
    mg27 likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

FMJ for the range. Quality hollow points for defense.
    In borderline calibers (.380) or sub-caliber pistols (.25, .32), some choose to carry FMJ for defense use because they will have deeper penetration than an expanded HP bullet.

For .380 I choose 90gr Speer Gold Dots. For 9mm 147gr+P HSTs and for .40 I choose 180gr Federal HSTs. The best JHPs on the market today are Federal HSTs, Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger-Ts, and ammo loaded with solid copper Barnes XPB or Tac-X bullets.

For shorter barrels like what your G27 has, I believe a heavy bullet is a better choice than a light weight bullet. You lose less velocity with the short barrel if you're shooting a heavy bullet, and heavy JHP bullets are designed to expand at slower speeds.

I don't shoot a lot of SD rounds through my handguns because they are expensive and HSTs are difficult to find outside of a few online sellers. SGammo.com is a great option for HSTs at reasonable prices. Here, 180gr HSTs are $25 per 50 rounds. That is a very good price. They also have a variety of FMJ ammo at $14 per box of 50. Try to buy defensive ammo in 50 round law enforcement packaging. You save a lot of money that way. This way, Gold Dots cost close to half of what they would in 20 round civilian packaging.

I agree with everyone else. Stock up on some reputable FMJ ammo for the range and get some high-quality hollow point ammo (I prefer Speer Gold Dot for the Glock 27) for carry purposes.

I use Federal hydro-shock 280gr JHP for defense and Federal FMJ 280gr for the range. The JHP rounds shoot a tighter group than the FMJ. I always shoot a few rounds of JHP at the range just to be sure since those are the rounds I will be relying on to stop the BG. I still use the FMJ for most of my range shooting though just because they're cheaper. I think it's important to use the same manufacturer and at the same weight bullet for both since they will perform similarly. The Federal hydro-shock are incredibly accurate with my Springer 1911 and the FMJ are pretty close.
    Best
    Maximus Decimus Meridius

Retired SCPO USN
    NRA certified Instructor
    Arizona CCW instructor

Links