CleanFire ammo?

This is a discussion on CleanFire ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm thinking about buying Blazer CleanFire or Speer Lawman CleanFire ammo. 9mm, 147gr probably. Both TMJ... the 147gr has a flat nose, the 124gr does ...

Thread: CleanFire ammo?

CleanFire ammo?

I'm thinking about buying Blazer CleanFire or Speer Lawman CleanFire ammo. 9mm, 147gr probably. Both TMJ... the 147gr has a flat nose, the 124gr does not.

Anyone have experience with either one? I like the fact that they're apparently "cleaner" (no lead) and the prices are decent.

2. Remove Ads

Another one I'm looking at is the Winchester Super-X WinClean.

Both are good brands, and work very well..

Lead free ammo tends to have different primers, which have much shorter shelf lives, especially if exposed to high temperatures, than normal ammo.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soIcouldSee View Post
    Anyone have experience with either one? I like the fact that they're apparently "cleaner" (no lead) and the prices are decent.
    If you shoot at an indoor range these are helpful in reducing the airborne lead (from the primer) at the firing line, the bullet still have a lead core which on impact does expose the lead. To eliminate lead you'll need to go to a copper bullet with a clean primer which drives up pricing of your range ammo.

Most indoor ranges employees and at PDs in Cali must take a lead baseline blood test and be checked on a regular basis. If you're worried about lead poisoning have your doctor do the test and test again after several range trips.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I know someone who used that WinClean stuff and according to him it didn't clean a darn thing. Seriously though, I don't see it being an issue worth addressing. I used to work at a range and the only person who had any problems was a guy who worked a related range, 10 hrs/day, 5 days a week, for at least a decade. He got tested and had to sit out for about 2 mos for his body to flush out the heavy metals. Do you shoot that much? If you shoot around others, who aren't using the same "clean" ammo, it really doesn't matter anyway. - and you still have to clean your gun anyways

Links