Is Bad to keep your extra magazines full?

This is a discussion on Is Bad to keep your extra magazines full? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the above is a good point actually. I forgot to mention: springs are a serviceable item for good reason. They are expected to wear, and ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Is Bad to keep your extra magazines full?

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    the above is a good point actually. I forgot to mention: springs are a serviceable item for good reason. They are expected to wear, and to be replaced. That holds true for mag springs, striker pin springs, hammer springs, slide springs, trigger springs, etc.

Guide Rod springs, for instance, are recommended to be replaced every 5,000 rounds, in my experience.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    Hi, I was just wondering about keeping my extra mags all full. I hear that its ok it wont hurt, then I hear you should rotate the mags.. Glock mags are what I have. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a million times, but I only have been on this forum a few days and would like to hear your opinions, seems we have a lot of knowledge here...Thanks! Mike
    Well, from a long history of working with the manufacture and use of springs I can say that there is no simple answer.

Springs can and do lose their "set", depending on the method of manufacture. The springs used in pistol magazines are called "compression springs."

Since we can't know how the springs we get in the magazines we buy are made, it is prudent to exercise caution.

Personally, I would not leave all the magazines loaded. If you have enough magazines, rotate the ones you keep fully loaded and load them all only when you are on business that requires that they all be loaded.

If you must keep all your magazines fully loaded, periodically replace the magazine springs with those of known manufacture, do not buy "bargain" springs.

Springs take a set, that is why with some new magazines it is difficult to get the last few rounds in and as time goes by those last few rounds are much easier to load, which also means when you fire you last few shots from that magazine there is less pressure pushing the rounds up to where they can be chambered. More than one failure to feed problem has been trace to weak magazine springs.

Even the best spring manufactures would probably not recommend that you keep your magazines loaded, but you are, of course, free to do as you please.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    hmmm...they have a vested interest in selling mag springs...
    True, Wolff sells springs, but if you're implying they're trying to sell more springs, why would they give a tip on extending spring life?
    Good Old Joe likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    True, Wolff sells springs, but if you're implying they're trying to sell more springs, why would they give a tip on extending spring life?
    Good point OldVet, but the truth about springs, their manufacture and characteristics is, or should be, common knowledge among those familiar with materials science.

What Wolff is saying is merely common knowledge in the spring industry.

Some just can't apply what they know about the leaf springs in their truck to the springs in their pistol magazines.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links