Is Bad to keep your extra magazines full?

This is a discussion on Is Bad to keep your extra magazines full? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I was just wondering about keeping my extra mags all full. I hear that its ok it wont hurt, then I hear you should ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Is Bad to keep your extra magazines full?

Hi, I was just wondering about keeping my extra mags all full. I hear that its ok it wont hurt, then I hear you should rotate the mags.. Glock mags are what I have. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a million times, but I only have been on this forum a few days and would like to hear your opinions, seems we have a lot of knowledge here...Thanks! Mike

2. Remove Ads

No.

Magazine springs can hold their set for a long long time. I wouldn't worry about it.
    mg27 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    Hi, I was just wondering about keeping my extra mags all full. I hear that its ok it wont hurt, then I hear you should rotate the mags.. Glock mags are what I have. I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a million times, but I only have been on this forum a few days and would like to hear your opinions, seems we have a lot of knowledge here...Thanks! Mike
    No

Check out the function.

Welcome to the forum!
    mg27 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I actually load one less than max into my mags just to make sure I fatigue the mags less. It's probably useless to do, but I sleep better.

In his defense, the search on this forum is nearly useless.

And no, leaving them compressed is fine. What wears out springs is constant compression-decompression-compression-decompression....
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

no it isn't
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

At 20 bux (or so) for a new one I wouldn't be too concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    Hi, I was just wondering about keeping my extra mags all full. I hear that its ok it wont hurt, then I hear you should rotate the mags..
    I was taught that keeping them full was not harmful to the springs.

I was also taught that rotating the ammo in magazines occasionally helped to ensure fresher ammo and that it was not harmful to springs.

That's pretty much the way I've done it. On a couple of pistols, I've had a handful of spare magazines fully loaded for years (with occasional rotation to 'duty'). No ill effects so far. Of course, these have both been full-sized pistols, not compacts or mouse guns. Unknown whether the effect would be similar on those, but I don't see why it would be much different.

One thing I've found is that several different pistols have responded favorably with softening up the slide pull after experiencing several hundred instances of racking the slide. I've particularly noticed this on tiny mouse guns. Can't imagine magazine springs would be much different, unless they're made significantly tougher to withstand more usage. The point being, I'm betting that even with hundreds of cycles, which I've done on a handful of pistols, no ill effects should surface. That said, I'm pretty much a stickler for general maintenance on my pistols, including replacement of basic springs. So, where the weakening point is, I have no idea. Never been there, given the maintenance regimen.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I was taught that keeping them full was not harmful to the springs.

I was also taught that rotating the ammo in magazines occasionally helped to ensure fresher ammo and also was not harmful to springs.

That's pretty much the way I've done it. On a couple of pistols, I've had a handful of spare magazines fully loaded for years (with occasional rotation to 'duty'). No ill effects so far. Of course, these have both been full-sized pistols, not compacts or mouse guns. Unknown whether the effect would be similar on those, but I don't see why it would be much different.

One thing I've found is that several different pistols have responded favorably via softening up the slide pull after experiencing several hundred instances of racking the slide. I've particularly noticed this on tiny mouse guns. Can't imagine magazine springs would be much different, unless they're made significantly tougher to withstand more usage. The point being, I'm betting that even with hundreds of cycles, which I've done on a handful of pistols, no ill effects should surface. That said, I'm pretty much a stickler for general maintenance on my pistols, including replacement of basic springs. So, where the weakening point is, I have no idea. Never been there, given the maintenance regimen.
    I do this.

I keep them full, and when I go to the range shoot them empty, then fill them again, just to feel like I'm rotating the ammo a little bit. Kind of the cook in me I guess, using the older goods first and running through the inventory.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I just started to use one less also because it seems like when I have them at capacity its hard to get in, though I used to always keep 9 plus 1.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wolfe Springs says not to, they will take more of a set; the latest issue of American Rifleman Technical Answers and Questions section says no for the same reason, it can weaken the spring more than sitting in its extended position, and to rotate from time to time.

I can understand the compressed spring taking a set; that loading/reloading weakens the springs faster. My thoughts are to keep a few loaded, rotating on occasion, and let the long-term extras sit at "rest." I keep the one in my gun full, my spares a round or two short. when I carry, they're full.

If you only have a couple of mags, keep them loaded and look to buying a few extras. If you've got a shelf full of mags, you should have time to load as needed. Mag springs are cheap; in in doubt-change them out. But your mags, do as you feel best.
    mg27 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

My CCL instructor told the class to rotate mag's every month, so, that is what I am doing. I am not an expert so I surely don't know if that is correct or not but since in the habit I do it. He also said practice each month and use one year old ammo up and replace. Don't know if that is necessary or not either. I have to say I look forward to my monthly range time however.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

VIP Member
    I've never noticed a problem leaving a magazine loader, and I've been doing it for many years.
    mg27 and Eagleks like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I've never noticed a problem leaving a magazine loader, and I've been doing it for many years.
    Ditto. The only good magazine is one that is loaded.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links