Frangible Ammunition for home defense?

This is a discussion on Frangible Ammunition for home defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GlassWolf To my understanding, there is no documented case on the books of a round ever going completely through one person, and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Frangible Ammunition for home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    To my understanding, there is no documented case on the books of a round ever going completely through one person, and killing a second person behind him with a handgun. That said, I would concentrate on shot placement and accuracy. The overwhelming majority of defensive encounters involving a handgun take place at a range of 3 to 7 yards, and happen within the span of about the same number of seconds according to active and former police officers to whom I've spoken. I'd stick with the most effective round you can carry, which for a handgun typically would be a sellf-defense or LE round like the Cor-Bon, Speer Gold Dot, HST, SXT, Ranger T-series and PDX1 hollow points.
    Actually, there are many. Ayoob has referenced several of them...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    To my understanding, there is no documented case on the books of a round ever going completely through one person, and killing a second person behind him with a handgun. That said, I would concentrate on shot placement and accuracy. The overwhelming majority of defensive encounters involving a handgun take place at a range of 3 to 7 yards, and happen within the span of about the same number of seconds according to active and former police officers to whom I've spoken. I'd stick with the most effective round you can carry, which for a handgun typically would be a sellf-defense or LE round like the Cor-Bon, Speer Gold Dot, HST, SXT, Ranger T-series and PDX1 hollow points.
    NYPD has had a bunch of rounds pass through a suspect and injure/kill another. Mainly when they were still using the Winchester 9mm 115 gr FMJ.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    The round in question is 9mm. And for the record, I agree with the consensus in this thread. I appreciate the input, thanks folks.
    My personal choice for 9MM is Gold Dot 124 +P or 147. If you have over penetration concerns, then you can consider 124 or 115, but frankly I wouldn't.

If you're in it, you're in it, and you're gonna to need everything you got. Pick the best ammo for that job because that's more important. Then train, train, train. Shoot accurate first, then shoot fast.
    NRA Certified Instructor - RSO - Life Member

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    -Albert Einstein

GH
    I had also thought about frangible rounds but quickly discarded that idea. I see I'm not alone. Now it's Federal HST Bonded in .40 cal.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Moderator
    I use 158gr Hydroshocks in both my .357 S&W 65 or Ruger Speed Six. I am not concerned with over penetration
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I said kill, not injure, and if I recall correctly, my statement regarding the lack of proof of this claim of people being killed by over-penetrating handgun rounds was actually from Massad, although that bit I may be off about. I've read so much stuff about this, it all starts to run together after a while.

I use Gold Dots in my 9mms and 45 and feel they are a good choice. There are a lot of quality SD loadings available. I was having a discussion with someone about the viability of using frangibles and wanted to substantiate my personal opinion. I want the best possible solution out there to protect myself and family. While stray rounds can and do sometimes affect innocents, I will take the best precautions I can....but I won't use frangibles. YMMV
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links