Rounds for predator defense? - Page 2

Rounds for predator defense?

This is a discussion on Rounds for predator defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Also... I have at times carried a 357 sig pistol when I didn't have my revolver or I needed to be discreet for some reason. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rounds for predator defense?

Also... I have at times carried a 357 sig pistol when I didn't have my revolver or I needed to be discreet for some reason. While way to small for a moose defense gun in my opinion and most others... It's better than nothing. I've tested various rounds into hard wood to see which penetrated the best in case it happens to be what is on me. As others have said... Go with a good Fmj-fp if you can't shoot hard cast lead. The edges on the metplat of lead bullets tend to be sharper than ones with a jacket from what I've seen at least. That said... I usually use buffalo bores fmj fn rounds in 357 sig if I want penetration. In my tests... It surprised me and did better than the 147gr from DT and others. Haven't tried the 180's in 357 sig from double tap yet. For 357 mag.... The 180 gr hard casts at 1400fps typically out penetrate the 200gr bullets at times. Seems like the 200's start to tumble eventually.
    If you want to know... I'd suggest trying several different loads side by side in the same media and see for yourself what works for you and your gun.

best bull moose shot.jpgrecord size bull2.JPGedit bear 2.jpgbull moose x 2.jpg
    Last edited by Rawah; October 28th, 2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added pics

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    [QUOTE=ghost tracker;
    There has never been a documented wolf attack on a human beyond Little Red Riding Hood. .[/QUOTE]

Where did you get that idea? Wolf attacks are common in Alaska,and Canada. And are on the rise in the lower 48 since wolfs have been reintroduced. DR

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Where did you get that idea? Wolf attacks are common in Alaska,and Canada. And are on the rise in the lower 48 since wolfs have been reintroduced. DR
    Common? I'll bite on that. Documentation please? Never happened while I was in AK, not even remotely close. Wolves are extremely wary of humans, with good cause. The vast majority of reported wolf "attacks" are from captive wolves, not in the wild.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You all didn't read that story about that moose attacking that troopers car did u? :)

.40 is better than nothing. I'd go with heaviest you shoot well. I carry a .357 mag in the "wilderness"
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Oldvet, The last death by wolf attack I can remember was a lady by the name of Candice berner in Alaska in 2010. Body was found after the attack. She was jogging by herself if I remember correctly.
    I agree the wolf attacks are very very rare.
    If your going to spend anytime out in the sticks... Don't forget a decent fixed blade. You will use it way more than your gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawah View Post
    Keep in mind... The only source of heat comes from wood burning stoves and propane for lighting. There isn't even a mailing address or phone service either. . . Most don't even go to the outhouse without a gun on them.
    I assume by your username that you're in either northern CO or southern WY. I attended CSU, and hung out in Rawah and RMNP.

We've just bought a place in the North Woods of NH that's like the cabin your describe: four miles off the grid, on an unmaintained road.

Thanks for the wildlife tips.

IMG_0417_PS2 (2).jpg

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawah View Post
    Oldvet, The last death by wolf attack I can remember was a lady by the name of Candice berner in Alaska in 2010. Body was found after the attack. She was jogging by herself if I remember correctly.
    I agree the wolf attacks are very very rare.
    If your going to spend anytime out in the sticks... Don't forget a decent fixed blade. You will use it way more than your gun.
    Did she die from the attack, or did animals take the opportunity of a free feeding? Wolvs will scavage.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Jehoener,
    Yes. Although im in Missouri right now :-( Hope to get back soon. I also went to CSU. Cheers!
    Geourgous cabin btw!

The 40S&W will do the job against dangerous North American Game.

The Hornady 180 grain XTP provides excellent accuracy, reliable expansion and deep penetration with retained bullet weight.

Don't shoot too fast...only hits count !

If you have not yet, I would strongly recommend replacing the stock Glock barrel with an aftermarket barrel that provides better support of the back of the case and is heat treated..Glock barrels are not. Lonewolf makes a reasonably priced replacement barrel that will perform well and enables the shooting of lead bullets with no issues.

Watch out for those critters....most will avoid you if they hear you....suprise something wild and it will take a defensive posture ! Given an out...most will flee.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Did she die from the attack, or did animals take the opportunity of a free feeding? Wolvs will scavage.
    Good question. That I don't know. It is believed she was attacked as she was jogging I think. But dead people don't talk... So we will never know. I am in agreement that it is statistically a rare event. Just remembered the incedent is all.

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    My friends Glock 45 wont feed anything but FMJ, so he uses that.
    Is your friend's "Glock .45" actually a Hi-point? I've read stories about that kind of thing.

The autopsy indicated that wolves killed her. Whether she had an accident prior to being attacked or not was not able to be proven/disproven because of her being fed on.

One of the initial thoughts was that a bear killed her and then moved on allowing the wolves to feed but none of the injuries supported that possibility. That was an interesting case that I followed. A truly tragic situation.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    WOLF ATTACKS ON HUMANS

Hunter Becomes The Hunted In Idaho Wolf Attack | News - KXLY.com

First fatal wolf attack recorded in North America? — High Country News

The idea that there has never been an attack on humans has been put out there by our own government agents to keep people from opposing the wolf reintroduction to the lower 48. With evidence of an attack they change it a little and say " There's never been an attack by a healthy wolf". and when that was disproved they said " There's never been an attack by a healthy wolf that wasn't accustomed to humans." The truth is that as there are more and more wolf packs there will be more and more attacks. Wolfs were not hunted out of the lower 48 for no reason at all! DR

Yes, beware the predatory moose! Your best defense is to not look like a shrub.

If you can find hard-cast lead (Buffalo Bore?), go with that. Only experimentation in your gun will prove/disprove feeding problems, but Glocks are very "ammo tolerant."
    LOL....Moose can be dangerous. I think the OPs comment included bears, which are very dangerous. Nice avatar photo also!
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    WOLF ATTACKS ON HUMANS

Hunter Becomes The Hunted In Idaho Wolf Attack | News - KXLY.com

First fatal wolf attack recorded in North America? — High Country News

The idea that there has never been an attack on humans has been put out there by our own government agents to keep people from opposing the wolf reintroduction to the lower 48. With evidence of an attack they change it a little and say " There's never been an attack by a healthy wolf". and when that was disproved they said " There's never been an attack by a healthy wolf that wasn't accustomed to humans." The truth is that as there are more and more wolf packs there will be more and more attacks. Wolfs were not hunted out of the lower 48 for no reason at all! DR
    Hunting wolves out of the lower 48 had more to do with cattle protection than human protection. Attacks by wildlife are rare; attacks by wild wolves are extremely rare at best. Rabid skinks and raccoons are a much bigger threat than wolves that avoid people. An attack doesn't mean they all attack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links