Rounds for predator defense?

This is a discussion on Rounds for predator defense? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I plan to carry my .40 cal Glock on the trail for predator defense -- black bear, moose, cougar, wolf. I understand that I should ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rounds for predator defense?

Rounds for predator defense?

I plan to carry my .40 cal Glock on the trail for predator defense -- black bear, moose, cougar, wolf. I understand that I should use FMJ ammunition for best penetration in these conditions. But which would give the best penetration: round-nose or flat-nose?

Any known Glock feed problems with flat-nose?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, beware the predatory moose! Your best defense is to not look like a shrub.

If you can find hard-cast lead (Buffalo Bore?), go with that. Only experimentation in your gun will prove/disprove feeding problems, but Glocks are very "ammo tolerant."
    Rock and Glock and SFCDan like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You'd be surprised about moose; they can get pretty aggressive sometimes. And if you've never seen one in person you'll be shocked at how big they really are. They're nothing to scoff at.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    You'd be surprised about moose; they can get pretty aggressive sometimes. And if you've never seen one in person you'll be shocked at how big they really are. They're nothing to scoff at.
    And if you hit him with the .40 cal and he finds out about it, he's really gonna be mad at you...
    jbum, surefire7, mano3 and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Lived in AK for 3 1/2 years, know all about moose. Never had one sneak up on me with evil intent. ;-)
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

First of all - welcome to the forum!

As to your question, for the critters you list, I think I'd feel better with a .357 Mag on my hip, or at least a 10mm. Indeed, any gun is better than no gun, but the .40 seems on the light side. Nonetheless, specifically addressing your question, I'd opt for flat nose or any bullet that has a profile that resembles a semi-wadcutter with "edges".
    kmagnuss, surefire7 and oneshot like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A .357 mag can handle all of those listed threats.

Having been around some moose in the past, I would not worry too much about them. Yes, they can be aggressive, but in the woods you can usually keep enough difference between yourself and them to not need to worry. Moose are so big, and are found in certain types of areas it's generally easy to avoid them with a bit of understanding them. Also, moose typically let you know when you get too close. I know from firsthand experience during a boundary water canoe trip, and from a close encounter while deer hunting. Sometimes, cutting across a section of swamp in northern Wisconsin between stands isn't the best idea.

For anyone that has not seen a moose in person, well, it's a sight. They are massive in size. Whitetail deer are tiny in comparison. They are similar in size to elk, and are much more aggressive up close.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you can find hard-cast lead (Buffalo Bore?), go with that. Only experimentation in your gun will prove/disprove feeding problems, but Glocks are very "ammo tolerant."
    Ditto on the Buffalo Bore suggestion. Though in .40S&W, DoubleTap has a WFN option.

Basically, I would think the standard "big game" and "aggressive predator" type guidelines apply: you'll want the hardest-hitting and deepest-penetrating option you can get, generally speaking, to achieve the quickest stop. Buffalo Bore should do nicely.
    kmagnuss and nedrgr21 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My friends Glock 45 wont feed anything but FMJ, so he uses that.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Your friend's Glock has a serious issue that needs to be fixed. Glock's are notorious for feeding almost anything.
    oneshot likes this.

VIP Member
    Personally I'd go with the heaviest bullet available, which I believe is 180 grains. As to the bullet shape. I'm not aware of any company that makes a .40 caliber round nose bullet.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Re: Rounds for predator defense?

I'd buy a 44 mag for that purpose if I didn't already have one.

sent via iCarry

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    What? "...so he uses that."?!? Okayyyy, then my friend's S&W revolver won't spin anything but full, square-shouldered, wad cutters, so he uses that.

To the OP, just carry a well-respected 165 grain SD load for cougars. GLOCK reliability & mag capacity are on your side. There has never been a documented wolf attack on a human beyond Little Red Riding Hood. Moose are big but aren't looking for trouble. And unless you slick your hair with honey, uh, well, you get the picture.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks to all for taking time to post.

OK, here's what I get from this:

-The Glock .40 cal is OK, but is too small. Flat-nosed ammunition is best; but that's all I can buy anyway.
    -.357 mag minimum, .44 mag is better.
    -It's a moot point, since I don't need to carry on the trail anyway.

I've been lucky enough to spend lots of time around moose and black bear. Only saw one mountain lion in 6 years out in the sticks. One huge bull bedded next to the cabin nightly this fall. The big bulls are generally fairly docile. But if they lower their head at you... Back up now! The females with thier young are the ones you need to be most aware of. I will generally try to stay at least 50yards away if they are around. Your best defense against a charging moose is to try and keep a tree or something not to big in diameter that you can get around as fast as them. Dogs tend to keep a lot of the other predators away as the associate dogs with wolves. Which are the top of the food chain in the areas I've been. If your dogs get to close to a moose. The moose will stomp them to death. Moose are beautiful massive creatures and because of their size they really don't have much to be afraid of other than wolves. I don't think there is much sport in hunting them as they are not afraid and will not try to avoid you like elk which are gone if they see you. Your best weapon is your situational awareness and understanding the animals you will be around. That said... I have always felt okay with my 357 mag around even the largest of black bear... But the first time I saw a trophy bull up close and personal even though it was docile... It suddenly felt like a bb gun on my side. There is a reason most of the people in this area carry 44 mag. Keep in mind... The only source of heat comes from wood burning stoves and propane for lighting. There isn't even a mailing address or phone service either. It's heavin up there. Dang... Now I'm missing the mountains... Soon enough though...:-) oh and yes... Most don't even go to the outhouse without a gun on them. I'll try and dig up a few pics later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links