Buying Bulk Remanufactured Ammunition? What do you think?

This is a discussion on Buying Bulk Remanufactured Ammunition? What do you think? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been feeling bad about my lack of ammo on hand recently. I've been pricing out various brands of ammo (looking for 5.56 and 9mm ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sigs

Thread: Buying Bulk Remanufactured Ammunition? What do you think?

Sponsor

Buying Bulk Remanufactured Ammunition? What do you think?

I've been feeling bad about my lack of ammo on hand recently. I've been pricing out various brands of ammo (looking for 5.56 and 9mm at the moment) I'm looking to pick up a few thousand of each. Just curious about how you feel about buying remanufactured ammunition? I have only had one experience with a batch of 9mm I bought at a gun show. I didn't have any issue with it at all (most of it went out of a Kel Tec P2000 and a Glock 17). What has been your experience?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks,
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

Georgia Arms using one-fired brass is the bomb! No troubles at all and they are at all our Orlando gun shows, they ship as well from their web site.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

SGAmmo has factory fresh ammo for about the same price as those reloads. I ordered 13,000 FMJ from them great service and reasonable shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    13,000 FMJ.
    Well that ought to be good for at least 3 trips to the range, huh?

I've purchased reloads online before and have not had any issues. My Son and I now reload and we each keep at least 1,500 on hand at any time. The beauty of reloading your own is you can load as mess of rounds, then next time load something else, and so on for any guns you may have. When we get going we can run over 200 rounds/hr with my Lee Turrett press. We pre-size, and prime when we are just hanging out, then when we want to get serious we can get down to business and run off a mess of rounds!

I use freedom ammo. 2k rounds through my pistols and not a single problem.

I've used Freedome Munitions 9mm remanufactured - shipped for about $10 per 50 rds including shipping, buying in bulk. No issues at all in my Sig 2022 - fairly clean, very consistent in speed (checked). However, my Taurus 709 doesn't like it - FTEs about one per mag. I have shot home-reloaded 9mm in the 709 and it has worked fine - so, things can vary from gun to gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    Well that ought to be good for at least 3 trips to the range, huh?
    3 trips your doin good. Our club might have went through that at our end of the year blowout. HaHa we did go through alot of ammo tho. And with some tannerite what fun.

If it was (re) manufactured by a reputable company like Georgia Arms, or Black Hills, BVAC, Ultramax, or one of the other big companies I wouldn't have a problem with it. If for some strange reason a round blows your gun up, a big company will make it right when the gun manufacturer won't. If you buy from some Bubba at the gun show who sells beef jerky and bulk ammo in ziplock bags and the gun blows, you're out of luck.

Of course, if you load it yourself and kaboom, it's your own dang fault.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I bought a couple of boxes of "once fired" reloads from Cheaper Than Dirt. I have gone through almost the whole 100 rounds, I might have 20 or 25 left but I have had 4 fails to fire and one misfeed in my Glock 27. It's possible I failed to get the magazine completely seated on an IPDA reload but the fail to fires were all legit. They all have primer strike marks but failed to fire.

This is the ammo I bought:

.40 S&W BVAC FMJ 180 Grain 50 Round Box 960 fps Once-fired Brass Practice and Training Ammunition

I was thinking of trying some Georgia Arms ammo. I have bought from them for my 38 Special before.

Links