Digital powder scales

Digital powder scales

This is a discussion on Digital powder scales within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does antone use these and what brand. The reason i'm asking is that i have used one for almost two years and it just quit ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital powder scales

Digital powder scales

Does antone use these and what brand. The reason i'm asking is that i have used one for almost two years and it just quit working. It is a lyman 1200 dps 3 that worked perfect up till three weeks ago. I am sending it to lyman for repairs and if it costs too much to fix may just replace it with another one like it or another brand. Your thoughts on this is greatly appreciated.

I have a cheapy Hornady just used to verify bullet weights, when I start a batch. I used to use a scale more, but for the past several years pretty much charge by volume now. I use a beam scale to just double check my volume set-up, and then load. While I don't see anything wrong with it, I also don't really see an advantage to weighing individual charges, unless one doesn't have a powder measure. That's just me.

I use an old Dillon digital. When I moved a few years ago it got packed away for a couple months and the battery leaked and crusted up the inside of the scale. Dillon replaced it for free under their warranty. I did loose the check weights, though. I still need to replace those someday.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I used to measure each and every rifle load, and I never saw where a digital scale would have been any more accurate or faster. My RCBS 505 had been working since the early '80s and has always been right on the money, doesn't need batteries replaced.

Now I'm down to pistol reloading only, and after initially checking the drop accuracy, I only check about every 25th round. With HP-38 powder, rarely do I need to make an adjustment.

If you feel more confident in a digital scale, then that's what you need. I've had no problems with gravity.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

thanks for the info

Digital powder scales

My little mtm case guard digital scale I got at the lgs for 30 bucks works pretty well for me.

best to use with AC power... if not, when the batts get low, your readings will get funky....

I use a Hornady cs 1500, It seems to weigh my chargespretty accurate,I use it for measuring the powder drop on my Dillon 550
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The inexpensive (under $150) electronic scales seem to have a hard time holding their zero if they remain on for more than an hour or so, plus even the best ones are sensitive to a breeze in the room (from a fan or even someone walking by). The latter is easily helped with a purchased or home-made 'baffle', but my larger point is that the 2- or 3-place "accuracy" (actually, just resolution) of the digital scales really isn't needed for the vast majority of reloading tasks. The convenience of not having to zero the beam, schlep balance weights left and right, wait for the beam to settle is a nice feature, but until the zero-drift problem is resolved, I'm not investing. My RCBS 5-0-5 (calibrated with precision weights - would you expect any less from an aerospace test engineer?) is plenty accurate and repeatable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks guys for the info. Lynman replaced my scale free of charge so pretty happy with their service so far.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Yeah,My little MTM works well too,Love it!.

I use a RCBS digital for my loading not sure the model was 100 at local dealer works good however as gasmitty said a fan will play with numbers. I love it

While the digital scales are nice (I have one), they suffer from two liabilties- the need for batteries and the possibility of falling out of calibration without an easy way of checking it.

The RCBS 505 three poise powder scale is perhaps the best of the breed since it allows (proper use actually requires) the user "zero" the system and check it by emptying the scale and setting the poises to zero all without the risk of having the batteries die (there are none) in the midst of a weighing. Digital scales will come and go, but the 505 will always remain as a 'back up' to whatever I have in the way of an electronic scale.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Rcbs
    + 1

Another +1 for the MTM. Only changed batteries once.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links