If you know your gun likes a certain brand in FMJ... - Page 2

If you know your gun likes a certain brand in FMJ...

This is a discussion on If you know your gun likes a certain brand in FMJ... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Frederal Premium HST Speer Gold Dot Golden Saber Bonded (as opposed to the older not-bonded design) Corbon Winchester Ranger Tactical There are a few others ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: If you know your gun likes a certain brand in FMJ...

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Frederal Premium HST

Speer Gold Dot

Golden Saber Bonded (as opposed to the older not-bonded design)

Corbon

Winchester Ranger Tactical

There are a few others like the Hornady TAP that could be added, but I'm not certain that TAP is available in .380 ACP. As well, some of these may not be available to non LEO.

As always, verify function in your own gun before depending on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    i would not recommend federal for carry. not the highest quality. there are a million threads around here but i think speer gold dots are the general consensus. i carry corbon.
    Really ??? I've tested lots of ammo and Federal always proves to expand and work like it should... dont know where your getting your info from ? ? but its flawed...
    Attached Images
    pittypat21 likes this.

You've already gotten the correct answer, but I'll throw my .02 in as well. You can't necessarily assume that the same brand HP will perform similar to their FMJ loads. The best way to find out is to shoot some SD loads from the same maker and see how they do. If you're not satisfied with the results, then obtain a box each of a few different brands/types and see what works best in your gun. Once you know what it likes, stock up on it to the extent possible, and then use the FMJ's for range practice.

never tried federal premium guys. didn't care for their fmj bulk. kind of assumed that if their bulk ammo had issues it would carry over to the rest of their line. apparently i am mistaken, so i will rescind my comment until i am able to test the rest of their line myself.

...stirred up a hornets nest on that one.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Thanks, guys. I'll make sure to test out anything I put in my gun.

How long is a "break-in period"? Would I find that in my gun's manual? I didn't see anything in there, but maybe I missed it.

@lyodbraun: is it bad that those pictures of the expanded bullets look like pretty gray flowers and I find them very visually appealing and want to make jewelry out of them?
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post

How long is a "break-in period"? Would I find that in my gun's manual? I didn't see anything in there, but maybe I missed it.

@lyodbraun: is it bad that those pictures of the expanded bullets look like pretty gray flowers and I find them very visually appealing and want to make jewelry out of them?
    Probably too heavy for earrings and I not sure those "petals" would feel comfortable as a pendant against your skin. On the other hand they'd make dandy Christmas tree ornaments!

I like to put at least a couple hundred rounds through a pistol before I trust it....so, figure 200 or so rounds of FMJ, then a box or two of carry ammo.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I like to put at least a couple hundred rounds through a pistol before I trust it....so, figure 200 or so rounds of FMJ, then a box or two of carry ammo.
    I can just say ditto to that. My practice is exactly the same.

It'll depend on your specific gun.

For example, Kahr claims a break-in period of 200 rds should be sufficient. I've found nothing of the kind was anywhere near sufficient (across 6 Kahrs that I've had). A Browning BDM took far, far more than that. A CZ P-01 and a H&K P2000SK required no effective break-in at all. Depends. And the only way to know is to try it out, to see how soon dead-nuts reliability occurs on your own gun.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

They might look nice but I don't think you want lead toughing your body.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

RKM
    I shoot whatever is cheap in FMJ. Though I've had bad luck with Independence ammo in .45. It's cause my G30 to FTF. It's caused my M&P45 to not lock back the slide numerous times. And I can feel the lack in power in any .45 handgun I shoot. The guns just feel "lazy" when shooting Independence ammo. I shoot Federal, PMC or S&B FMJ, but will shoot other stuff as well.

Just because your guns likes a specific brand of FMJ doesn't mean the JHP version of that brand will work well. JHP ammo is almost always made better. I like HST, Gold Dot's and DPX. Those three is what I mainly stick to.

My gun's a Glock. If it's the right diameter and has gunpowder in the back of it, my gun likes it.

Re: If you know your gun likes a certain brand in FMJ...

LOL Yup nothing wrong with that.. But would be rough and sharp on the skin.. LOL...
    Some of the best flowers you can buy...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No you cannot assume that. In fact, even slightly different loadings of bullet weight, type, and shape within the same manufacturer may cause problems. IE: 230 grain Hollowpoints vs. 185 grain Hollowpoints.

Now, some of the cheaper, more loosely manufactured brands may always give you problems. But assuming high quality manufacturers, that your gun seems to feed well, you cannot extrapolate that to mean, that if your gun fed Brand X 200 grain hollowpoints fine, then it will feed Brand X 230 grain plutonium-tipped zombie killers as well.

If your gun is kinda picky, about the only way to know is to buy a box and try it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links