.357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC - Page 2

.357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC

This is a discussion on .357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to see this happen to anyone! Please be advised that it does a lot more damage to a chest cavity! .357 Sig is a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: .357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Sorry to see this happen to anyone! Please be advised that it does a lot more damage to a chest cavity! .357 Sig is a stopper and I'm sorry to see you abandon the round. You may wish to try another pistol! My HK P2000 SK LEMs are great, but M & P as well as Sig or Springfield make theirs in 357 Sig!
    HebrewHammer likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Wow, a few more inches to the left and you would have shot your junk off. That is an ugly wound.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    Only instance I have ever heard of a Glock AD was someone catching the trigger in an open type holster when sitting down in a car with the stand up seatbelt fastener. Glocks DON'T AD.
    Got 3 LEO who will tell you otherwise! One ND and killed his partner in the locker room while clearing his weapon after shift, the other two did it after a training exercise while cleaning their pistols!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Got 3 LEO who will tell you otherwise! One ND and killed his partner in the locker room while clearing his weapon after shift, the other two did it after a training exercise while cleaning their pistols!
    So he was pointing his weapon at someone? No matter what the trigger needs to be pulled. Some how hung up on a shirt or whatever. Not going to fire. The OP mad an error by not securing the gun. Doesn't matter what kind it is. Glad that he's okay.

Glocks and similar pistols that have no safety with such an easy trigger pull makes ND and AD a lot easier to occur. The guns are safe until handled by humans. No human is perfect and capable of making a mistake. A bullet can't be taken back once the weapon is fired...I have a G26 and love it but I handle it like a set mousetrap. One reason smith made the sigma with the heavy trigger to minick the revolver and to be safer as a SD weapon....it is what it is....we had an instructor that taught fire arms safety for years and was very safe. One day in a classroom setting he had a ND. It happens...be careful or u could surely be dead.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Looks like a painful lesson...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nice shot...... no pun intended I'm talking about the photo.. Iv'e read your other post. Very gross wound, glad your recovering and think your going to be hurting for some time, (cant remember) did the bullet hit any bone?
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Sorry to see this happen to anyone! Please be advised that it does a lot more damage to a chest cavity! .357 Sig is a stopper and I'm sorry to see you abandon the round. You may wish to try another pistol! My HK P2000 SK LEMs are great, but M & P as well as Sig or Springfield make theirs in 357 Sig!
    I don't think he's abandoning the round so much as the platform. Correct me if I'm misunderstanding OP.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

.357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC

Holy crap that looks painful! I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but just remember that chicks dig scars!

To answer a number of very good questions you folks have posed:
    First, I'd call this an ND instead of an AD. Even thought I was asleep at the time and I had left mistakenly left the weapon on the arm of the recliner I was in, I must have reached for the gun or placed my hand on the trigger in some way so the gun could discharge. I'm still a big fan of Glocks — still have my G35 for 3-gun — but I have been using the 1911 platform for about 35 years.
    As for abandoning the round, as soon as they come out with a 1911 in .357 SIG, I'll be the first in line! LOL
    Now, about the healing process: Because the bullet was fired point-blank and went through a blanket and a pair of short pants before hitting my thigh, the injury was considered a "dirty wound" due to foreign material and powder, etc., entering the wound cavity. My surgery was basically to debride (clean out debris) the wound. Dirty wounds (including most GSWs) are then left open so that they can "drain," thus cleaning out the wound. They also need to heal from the inside out, which explains the wound opening up so much. The two stitches shown in the original photo were placed just to keep the wound somewhat protected initially, but they were also expected to pop eventually, allowing the wound to open up. As the wound heals from the inside out, the inside swells, pushing the wound more open. It also fills with clotted blood about the same consistency as jelly, which must be cleaned out every day, which is not a very pleasant process as you can imagine. A very large area around the wound also swells up tremendously due to a very large subdural hematoma (bad bruising), which eventually is absorbed by the surrounding tissue. For roughly the first three weeks after the injury, I was bleeding through three layers of ABDs (about 3/4" thick pads), a thick wrapping of gauze bandage over the pads, plus a long ACE bandage wrapped over the top twice a day. More recently, it's been leaking through about once a day, and will continue to do so for probably another month or two (until the wound eventually closes).
    I was lucky in that the bullet missed my femoral artery by about an inch, but it did pretty much shred (and literally blow out) a pretty large portion of muscle tissue and nerves in my upper thigh. Ironically, that won't actually make much difference in my ability to walk, since just under three years ago the same leg (right) was literally crushed when a pickup darted in front of my motorcycle as I was riding down the highway at 60 mph. In other words, my leg was already mostly titanium from the ankle to my hip. Thankfully, none of that hardware was hit. In the long run, I'll probably have a huge scar and depression at the wound site, as well as nerve problems in the rest of my leg. But I'll still be kicking and breathing (and shooting) for a long time to come.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes, a ND or AD can happen to anyone these days.

As for a 1911 in .357 SIG, there should be some of the new SIG 1911s out by now.

SIG SAUER Brings .357SIG Ballistics to Classic 1911 Pistol Platform

In any event, count yourself as Lucky.

OUCH!! this is a clear case of Glock Leg?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsmoke16 View Post
    If you decide to carry the Glock, just keep the chamber empty. It only takes a second to rack a round in. I used to carry a 17 apart in pieces before I got my carry permit. Timed it once and think it was about 7-10 seconds to slap it back together and around 15 until fully loaded.
    Do you realize how many times you can get seriously killed in that 7-15 seconds? Surely you jest!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Once agan. I thank you for sharing. It takes a lot to swallow your pride and admit you were being neglegent and that is why the gun fired. Too often... People just say the gun went off giving many people the idea guns go off by themselves which we know isn't the case almost always! I wish you the very best in your recovery and look forward to more of your posts in the future.

Re: .357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC

Dang man. Hope the recovery process continues without any hiccups. I personally carry (and love) the. 357sig round.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links