.357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC

This is a discussion on .357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So glad to see you are healing alright, I read your story when you posted it and let me say that is one hell of ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: .357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC

So glad to see you are healing alright, I read your story when you posted it and let me say that is one hell of a reminder to be ever diligent in our carry O.o

I thank you for sharing this, and your experience. It really makes me stay on my toes.

2. Remove Ads

WhoooWeee!

Sure does give a person pause to think.

I plan on using your posted photo in the Basic Pistol Course, if you will give me your permission.

Would be very interested in hearing about what took place after the accident...did YOU call for the ambulance? The police? The paperwork involved?

Get well soon, and back to the range!

~<:Sssssssssssnake/""

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    I sure appreciate all the support and sympathy you folks have shown throughout this thread. I confess that when I initially posted, I was a bit concerned that I might catch heck for my mistake, but I should have known this forum is full of very reasonable, intelligent individuals. I'm happy to say that my wound is healing very well, and is closing up nicely. Still hurts, though. I can say with great authority that you definitely never want to get shot. If you do, stay calm, breathe deeply, and concentrate on staying alert and oriented. And, of course, call 911 right away. Thanks, all!
    I don't know about the rest, but I thought you'd been punished enough at your own hands.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Why is it still open? What is the plan going forward? Glad you're still with us. That looks close to the femoral artery.
    It is standard surgical practice to allow "dirty" wounds to heal in an open fashion or by what is referred to as "secondary intention". The healing process occurs from the bottom of the wound upward, with devitalized, injured tissue being sloughed off in the process. Results are usually much better than you would ever expect, and with good wound care, infection rates are much lower.

Aside from all the medical talk, hope you heal well and uneventfully. From the looks of the anatomy, your were indeed very fortunate, as the result could have been far worse. Good luck and stay safe.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Nasty wound.... Hope you recover and continue to carry safely.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Since so many of you kindly read and posted on my thread about my freak accidental discharge, I thought I'd show you what a 115grn Doubletap JHP bullet will do to a leg. The photo was actually taken three weeks after the incident, and is looking down my right thigh toward my knee. You should see the exit holes! If you want a one-shot stopper, this is it. Still, I've gone back to my trusty .45 ACP 1911s, since I'm obviously more familiar with that operating system than the Glock Oh, and yes, it really hurts to get shot! (That's almost always the first question I get LOL)
    Attachment 63991
    Big Ray, thanks for posting this photo. A picture is worth a thousand words and you hopefully have made everyone pause and think about the unthinkable. You have given all of us in the group a true teachable moment. Best of luck.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I admire your willingness to talk about this as difficult as this incident has been for you. It's good to hear that the healing process is continuing. Best of luck to you!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    Wow, a few more inches to the left and you would have shot your junk off. That is an ugly wound.
    I'm glad he didn't because he might have uploaded pictures of that still!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Curious how the OP is holding up and if he has made a full recovery?
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Owie. That had to hurt.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Curious how the OP is holding up and if he has made a full recovery?
    Just last week my trauma surgeon proclaimed me healed. At least, the wound has closed completely. Now I'm busy trying to build up strength in that leg at our local wellness center. The main problem I'm going to have to contend with is numbness from my hip joint down to just below my knee. Otherwise, I'm doing quite well, and will soon be getting my coach's certification for high school trapshooting.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Just last week my trauma surgeon proclaimed me healed. At least, the wound has closed completely. Now I'm busy trying to build up strength in that leg at our local wellness center. The main problem I'm going to have to contend with is numbness from my hip joint down to just below my knee. Otherwise, I'm doing quite well, and will soon be getting my coach's certification for high school trapshooting.
    Wow, that is good news (not the numbness part) that you are recovering. Glad you are doing well, here's to continued recovery. :)
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links