.357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC

This is a discussion on .357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since so many of you kindly read and posted on my thread about my freak accidental discharge, I thought I'd show you what a 115grn ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: .357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC

Since so many of you kindly read and posted on my thread about my freak accidental discharge, I thought I'd show you what a 115grn Doubletap JHP bullet will do to a leg. The photo was actually taken three weeks after the incident, and is looking down my right thigh toward my knee. You should see the exit holes! If you want a one-shot stopper, this is it. Still, I've gone back to my trusty .45 ACP 1911s, since I'm obviously more familiar with that operating system than the Glock Oh, and yes, it really hurts to get shot! (That's almost always the first question I get LOL)
    photo(1).jpg
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

VIP Member
    Oh man, I just read your other thread. Jeez, I'm sorry to hear about that. Well, at least you are recovering. Hope everything ends up okay. Those will be one heck of a pair of scars.

Get well.

Re: .357 SIG wound effects - Warning: GRAPHIC

Why is it still open? What is the plan going forward? Glad you're still with us. That looks close to the femoral artery.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Are those,..stitches I see? Like Dandyone asked, why is it still open?

Best wishes with the healing process, and hope there is no permanent damage as a result. (Nerves? Muscle damage?)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

That's quite a mess. Hope you mend up.
    oneshot likes this.

Looks like it did exactly what a bullet is supposed to do. Man, it hurts me just ti look at it. Here's hoping for a full and speedy recovery!

Thank you for sharing. As difficult as it is to look at that picture, its a good reminder how serious of a matter firearm safety is. If you're able, can you explain the healing process at all? Like others - I'm confused as to how an open wound that large can heal well.

ouch!

I don't know if you know how lucky you are. I have made a few posts about the guy here in Virginia that was messing around with his seat belt and accidently discharged his Glock into his thigh. His kids in the back seat of the soccer mom van and the mom picking out a movie at the kiosk a few feet away. His round hit a femoral artery and that is the rest of the story.

We have to take a hunter safety course in Virginia in order to get a hunting license. They told us this story about one of the hunter safety instructors tooling along in his ATV with his 30-06 in a plastic case bouncing around and then off the ATV. The gun case did a 180 flip hit the ground and the 30 06 discharged through the case and tore of 3/4 of the hunter safety instructors hand. Yeah...they made us look at the picture!

That story and yours are making me extra cautious!

VIP Member
    BigRay, your experience reiterates the reasons my Glock edcs are always kept in holsters when they aren't in my hand, being cleaned or in the gunsafe. I never, repeat never leave a loaded handgun lying anywhere outside its holster. Sorry you had to be the example in this particular instance, but thanks for the graphic demonstration.
    Pistology and RichB70 like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

mkh
    One reason I got rid of my Glocks and now carry nothing but Sig DA/SA pistols. The are still loaded guns and you must maintain good discipline with them but the harder DA first shot helps keep down on accidents

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Man, I hope you recover okay. Are they talking skin graphs to close that up?

Due care must be taken with a Glock and its trigger, which in all reality isn't a safety at all. An associate of my son got his shirttail hung in his Glock trigger while reholstering in his appendix holster. His ability to have more kids is questionable.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Wow that is nasty looking! So glad you are able to make this post. Get healed up real quick!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRay View Post
    Since so many of you kindly read and posted on my thread about my freak accidental discharge, I thought I'd show you what a 115grn Doubletap JHP bullet will do to a leg.
    Geez. Next time use gelatin. It's a more convenient medium and doesn't hurt as much.

In all seriousness, I hope that you mend quickly and wish you all the best!
    lyz_grace and kaech like this.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Only instance I have ever heard of a Glock AD was someone catching the trigger in an open type holster when sitting down in a car with the stand up seatbelt fastener. Glocks DON'T AD. Knoxville PD once had an officer stop a lady that ran and when caught (cop with Glock in hand) said it AD and shot her in head.... Gaston Glock flew in from Austria for the trial to testify that
    it was not possible. The cop in an adrenaline dump most likely pulled trigger by accident. They are no more dangerous than any other gun until picked up and miss-handled. Just like a revolver, if you squeeze the trigger, it will probably go bang if there's a round chambered. Applaud decision on the .45...love them myself. If you decide to carry the Glock, just keep the chamber empty. It only takes a second to rack a round in. I used to carry a 17 apart in pieces before I got my carry permit. Timed it once and think it was about 7-10 seconds to slap it back together and around 15 until fully loaded. Glad the gentleman is still with us...nasty wound.
    ironmike86 and RichB70 like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links