self defence ammo

This is a discussion on self defence ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is your opinion of Federal classic 155 grain Hi-Shock jhp in 40S&W as a self defense round?...

Thread: self defence ammo

self defence ammo

What is your opinion of Federal classic 155 grain Hi-Shock jhp in 40S&W as a self defense round?

2. Remove Ads

There are better choices.

The 165 and 180gr HST, Ranger-T, or Gold Dots are some of the better performers out there.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    There are better choices.

The 165 and 180gr HST, Ranger-T, or Gold Dots are some of the better performers out there.
    100% agree.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I try not to go light on .40..... just make the recoil worst IMO. My department gives me 180gr speed gold dot. Works well shooting it and no type of failures.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Hi Shoks are not terrible, but as has been said already, there are better choices - Gold Dot, HST, Golden Sabre, etc.

Read what the ammo experts have to say:

Bullet designs like the Silver Tip, Hydra-Shok, and Black Talon were state of the art 15 or 20 years ago. These older bullets tend to plug up and act like FMJ projectiles when shot through heavy clothing; they also often have significant degradation in terminal performance after first passing through intermediate barriers. Modern ammunition which has been designed for robust expansion against clothing and intermediate barriers is significantly superior to the older designs. The bullets in the Federal Classic and Hydrashok line are outperformed by other ATK products such as the Federal Tactical and HST, as well as the Speer Gold Dot; likewise Winchester Ranger Talons are far superior to the old Black Talons or civilian SXT's.
    Service Caliber Handgun Duty and Self-Defense Ammo

I personally prefer a lighter weight in .40. If it's reliable in your gun, and you get a good deal on it, shoot it and carry it. I am comfortable with a little less penetration and some bigger expansion. It's not fancy, just a fast JHP with no fancy mechanics to it. For me in FL where its only cold for a month or so I would consider it. If you're facing deep layers of clothing most of the year you might have a different opinion.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links