SHTF: 7.62x39 FMJ vs HP

This is a discussion on SHTF: 7.62x39 FMJ vs HP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm ready to finish my ammo preps. Looking to buy 7000 rounds of 7.62x39 for my AK47. In a SHTF scenario these would be used ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By pgrass101

Thread: SHTF: 7.62x39 FMJ vs HP

SHTF: 7.62x39 FMJ vs HP

I'm ready to finish my ammo preps. Looking to buy 7000 rounds of 7.62x39 for my AK47. In a SHTF scenario these would be used in a suburban setting. I can't see taking shots over 50 to 75 yards. Would there be a benefit to a HP round? Penetration would be good in many circumstances. A HP would be beneficial for open shots that would impact 2 leged varmints first.

I was curious how a HP would react to being shot through the walls/door of a home and then impacting the BG? Would the FMJ be better for that or would the HP be a fragmented mess in the flesh?

I was thinking maybe 4000 FMJ and 3000 HP or should I just go with all HP as that will get the job done in more situations? Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Whatever you can get the most of for the cheapest price. I can assure you in a SHTF situation the bad guy nor you will care if it is HP or FMJ.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I would definetly go with the cheaper of the two to buy more. In this case they are priced the same. About $220 per 1000 shipped. I'm thinking FMJ has more versatillity and will always get the job done.

VIP Member
    go with the price FMJ is fine. You don't know for sure how far away your targets would be. I would hope they would be more than 50-75.

In my experience, the cheap, bulk, Russki JHP is a hollow point in name only, not in performance. I've never really seen one open up. So, in that case...whatever's cheaper.

If you're talking about the Hornady loads using Vmax bullets...different story. But not cheap at all.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    I'm ready to finish my ammo preps. Looking to buy 7000 rounds of 7.62x39 for my AK47. In a SHTF scenario these would be used in a suburban setting. I can't see taking shots over 50 to 75 yards. Would there be a benefit to a HP round? Penetration would be good in many circumstances. A HP would be beneficial for open shots that would impact 2 leged varmints first.

I was curious how a HP would react to being shot through the walls/door of a home and then impacting the BG? Would the FMJ be better for that or would the HP be a fragmented mess in the flesh?

I was thinking maybe 4000 FMJ and 3000 HP or should I just go with all HP as that will get the job done in more situations? Thanks for your input.
    I'd go with any of the US produced (Winchester, Federal, Remington) FMJs as they tend to duplicate the perfromance of the highly respected Yugoslavian 7.62x39 M67 which has an early yaw cycle. The various Russian JHPs rarely expand- there is little to be gained from them.

Check out this link for more info on the 7.62x39-

Russian Rifle Caliber Wounding Effects - M4Carbine.net Forums

which contains this info-

However, not all 7.62 x 39 mm FMJ bullets are of the original steel core construction. Significantly increased tissue damage is produced by the early yaw seen with several 7.62 x 39 mm FMJ lead core bullets, including:

-- Yugoslavian M67 124 gr FMJ, flat based, copper-jacketed, lead core bullet which travels only 3.5" in tissue before yawing

-- Chinese (PRC) 7.62 x 39 mm 123 gr FMJ, copper-jacketed, lead core bullets which begin their yaw after only 2 to 2.5" of travel in tissue.

-- Czech and several types of Western commercially produced lead core 7.62 x 39 mm FMJ yaw within the first 2 to 3 inches of travel in tissue.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Senior Moderator
    It appears to me that you are over thinking this, you just need quality rounds that work and are cheap enough to be bought in quantity. For my M1 carbines I found that Prvi Partizan works (I've shot around 800 rds without a problem) and I can reload it.
    zacii likes this.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Guys just a heads up. The 7.62x39 needs a bullet diameter between .310 and .311 to be accurate thru the AK barrels. Hornady is using .308 diameter bullets. This means that your accuracy is really going to suffer. This is being discussed on Warrior Talk and measurements are shown.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    Guys just a heads up. The 7.62x39 needs a bullet diameter between .310 and .311 to be accurate thru the AK barrels. Hornady is using .308 diameter bullets. This means that your accuracy is really going to suffer. This is being discussed on Warrior Talk and measurements are shown.
    Thank you for the info. Do you know if Corbon's loads use the correct diameter bullets in the caliber? They are pricey but I hear they perform superb in testing... I've been planning on buying some in the future for a while now just to keep a mag or two loaded with after testing for function/accuracy.

I run Brown bear 125 SP's for social use in m y AK's, FMJ and HP are for paper.

Just pulled the trigger on 7000 rounds of 154 grain soft point from Cabbelas. No tax, free shipping, $1570. About 22.5 cents a round. I've heard Cabbelas house brand is repackage WOLF ammo. LMK if anybody knows of problems with this ammo before I have 7 cases in my closet.

God help me and our country if I ever have to this in a SHTF situation. Hopefully this will be a lifetime of hog hunting and just plain fun with my son.

Links