real world ballistics of Speer GD .380 w/ bone, flesh, and water jugs

This is a discussion on real world ballistics of Speer GD .380 w/ bone, flesh, and water jugs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a youtube video I found of the Speer Gold Dot .380 from a 2.75in LCP. I carry Winchester in my P3AT Kel Tec ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DooSPX

Thread: real world ballistics of Speer GD .380 w/ bone, flesh, and water jugs

real world ballistics of Speer GD .380 w/ bone, flesh, and water jugs

Here is a youtube video I found of the Speer Gold Dot .380 from a 2.75in LCP. I carry Winchester in my P3AT Kel Tec 2.75" and Fed HST 180gr in my CM40 Kahr 3.1", but I think I will switch to GD's in my .380 after this video. Many say that a .380 JHP is too weak to penetrate bone and continue much further, this shows other wise.

Warning, test was done with a hogs head.

Hog's Head Ballistics - Speer Gold Dot 90gr .380 ACP - YouTube
    pgrass101 and kmagnuss like this.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Great video!! I like to see that done with CorBon Power Points in a full size 380 like a Walther PPK or a Bersa Thunder.

I agree, I would like to see more test. But, as my .380 is now only a BUG or limited clothing gun now, I feel confident that the GD will do the job. That's why I have my .40 with Fed Tactical HST 180 grains.

I'd rather score with a .22 than miss with a .50...

:)

I'm glad you posted this...

Others have said that my demonstrations with Mook Here are good demonstrations of what a head shot would be like, if we were using knitting needles.

Expansion of hollow points is questionable in anything but gelatine blocks. If something plugs the hollow point, like 4 layers of denim (as in this vid), or skull material... the HP may not expand... making it as useful as FMJ. THIS IS TRUE REGARDLESS OF CALIBER

Now, I do understand that in this vid the .380 DID expand. But the entry and exit wounds were small, and for all we know, the jacket did not expand until it hit the water...

In most cases, the head shot is likely to be deadly. But Gabby Giffords is one case in fact that that proves it may not always be deadly. Especially now a days with the advances in medical technology. Cases of severe brain injury far worse than hers from the wars in the sand also prove this out.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I carry a mixed load in my P238 seven shot mags. 2 Pow-R-Ball, 2 FMJ, 2 JHP, 1 CD JHP; there is no particular reason for the order, that's just what is in there now. I have never intended to shoot just once with the .380. During practice every week I rapid fire to empty one of my carry mags into the poor zombie at seven yards. One test I made a couple months ago was to shoot at two layers of 11 ply 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood. All of my carry rounds went through and blew out the back of the plywood. Some day when I get around to it, I will try three layers and four layers.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Very true! but I was happy to know it was able to pass through bone, flesh and bone again. I would think it could pass through a sternum as well, is that correct?

Links