Mysterious dent and scrape

This is a discussion on Mysterious dent and scrape within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I unloaded my LCP to dry fire this morning. Normally I just practice with the magazine out, but today I wanted to practice with the ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 2 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By lyz_grace

Thread: Mysterious dent and scrape

Mysterious dent and scrape

I unloaded my LCP to dry fire this morning. Normally I just practice with the magazine out, but today I wanted to practice with the mag in, so I emptied it and found this fella. I really am not sure how this happened. I know I didn't buy it like this and I've carried the same 7 Hornady JHPs for months because I don't shoot the expensive stuff at the range.

All of my searching on dented ammo brought me forum posts on rifle ammo and the consensus seemed to be that the dents come out when the round is fired anyway. I'm more concerned about the scrape at the neck of the casing that moved up over the bullet. Is this shootable?

S'pose I need to shoot through my SD ammo more often.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Has this round been re-chambered often? Compare it with a round that has never been chambered or loaded in a mag to see if they are the same length. Looking at the round it has wear on the rim from repeated contact with the ejector.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Looks like contact with the feed ramp. Plus as pgrass mentioned, evidence of numerous ejections.

Shoot it. In fact shoot the whole magazine, see how it's different from your practice ammo, get used to the recoil/muzzle blast and then reload with new fresh ammo.From the looks of the round you have just chambered it a bunch of times, not a big deal. You can see from the cannelure that the bullet is not set back so there shouldn't be any pressure issues, just shoot it and be done with it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shoot it. The case mouth is still in the crimp groove, so the bullet does not appear to be pushed back.

I reloaded used 5.56 brass from my military source and each case had the AR smiley ejection dent. Firing takes it right out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Although the round appears to not have suffered any set back, I would not fire it until I compared it to a round that had never been chambered.

Set back can occur when a round is repeatedly chambered see Bullet Setback and Your Defensive Handgun - YouTube
    rocky and varob like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The scrapes can happen when the round leaves the mag going into the chamber, or when it's being ejected. As mentioned above, I'd be more worried about bullet set back than dented casings.

Note: Any time your ammo starts to show wear, just add them to your practice ammo.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Although the round appears to not have suffered any set back, I would not fire it until I compared it to a round that had never been chambered.

Set back can occur when a round is repeatedly chambered see Bullet Setback and Your Defensive Handgun - YouTube
    Thanks so much for that video! I had never even heard of that issue. I compared mine to fresh from the box and they look okay. I HAVE reloaded these same 7 rounds for a couple of months, though, so I'll just be more mindful of shooting through my ammo more often. Thanks guys!
    pgrass101 likes this.

Links