9mm Gold Dot bullet weight? - Page 2

9mm Gold Dot bullet weight?

This is a discussion on 9mm Gold Dot bullet weight? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; GO heavy, Go +P...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 9mm Gold Dot bullet weight?

GO heavy, Go +P
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

There's a reason why ammo manufacturers try to make light, small bullets behave like big, heavy bullets.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    The compelling reason you are looking for is penetration. A heavier bullet simply penetrates better. I don't consider the 147 grain bullets to be much of a greater risk of over-penetration. Have you seen the gel tests comparing the 124 gr with the 147 gr bullet? With the Gold Dots, best performance was with the 124 gr +P and the 147 gr. Since you have ruled out the +P round, that leaves the 147 grain.
    This is why I chose the same myself. 147 grain anything has become nearly impossible to locate locally for me though. I don't ever worry about over penetration. I make sure I know my target and what lies beyond it. I also want a round that I know will go through layered clothing, a sheet or two of drywall if need be (think clearing a doorway or corner of a room in my house.. peek, see badguy, shoot through the wall instead of exposing myself for the shot first) and so forth. I actually want good barrier penetration, but I look at it as I may need to shoot through whatever my target is using for cover, be it a door skin, a wall, etc. I don't assume that my aggressor will always be fully exposed and directly in front of me. (thinking more home invasion, or perhaps car jacking)

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Stick 'em through the slats and it really won't matter. I have HST, Gold Dots, and Ranger Ts, all standard but the Ts, which are +p. All are 124s. All are trusted by me.
    All great ammo, and 3 or my favorites, hands down. Ranger T-series is great if you worry about penetration. Ranger "bonded HP" is great if you want penetration.

Find ammunition that does what you want, and allows you to be accurate with both your first shot, and your follow up shots as quickly as possible. Shot placement is vital, but so is the ability of the round to stop the threat when it is properly placed. Nothing is everything, but everything is something in regards to this equation.

Ballistics by the Inch

This graph at Ballistics by the Inch convinced me to carry 124 Gold Dots.
    Guns don't kill people. Drivers on cell phones do.

One source of information on bullet performance I like to watch is a YouTube channel named tnoutdoors9. He's consistent in his testing methods and he's tested many of the self defense loads.
    I believe you'll find short videos of the gold dots tested in 115, 124 and 147. I personally use 124 gold dots in my Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    One source of information on bullet performance I like to watch is a YouTube channel named tnoutdoors9. He's consistent in his testing methods and he's tested many of the self defense loads.
    I believe you'll find short videos of the gold dots tested in 115, 124 and 147. I personally use 124 gold dots in my Shield.
    Sadly, he uses something which is not calibrated ballistic gelatin, so his results are meaningless when compared to the existing body of scientifically-conducted terminal ballistics testing. Darn! Very entertaining to watch, but not meaningful. "Similar to ballistic gelatin", as he says in his videos about the test medium he uses, is not at all the same as "is calibrated ballistic gelatin". I wish he would follow the standard test procedures used by the FBI, police departments, and ammunition companies so we could compare his data to everyone else's measured data.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Sadly, he uses something which is not calibrated ballistic gelatin, so his results are meaningless when compared to the existing body of scientifically-conducted terminal ballistics testing. Darn! Very entertaining to watch, but not meaningful. "Similar to ballistic gelatin", as he says in his videos about the test medium he uses, is not at all the same as "is calibrated ballistic gelatin". I wish he would follow the standard test procedures used by the FBI, police departments, and ammunition companies so we could compare his data to everyone else's measured data.
    There are inconsistencies even in calibrated ballistics gel. It cannot be be made to the exact same performance every time. It's impossible. The youtuber you mention calibrates the medium (Sim-test) to be comparable (meaning giving comparable results) to gel. This is borne out in the fact that the results he gets are indeed VERY similar to the results obtained by others using gel. You can learn much from watching his videos. If you choose not to do so, that would indeed be your loss.

His methods and results are actually respected by people in the industry. Because of one of his tests, an ammo maker (Underwood, I believe) pulled a loading off the market so that they could do further development on the load.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It is know that bullets with a higher sectional density tend to penetrate more deeply than those with moderate or lower SD. I find it interesting to compare cartridges using this. Consider the 230 grain .45 ACP vs the only slightly faster 147 grain 9mm Luger. The sectional density of the .45 bullet is 0.162 vs 0.167 for the 9mm; very similar. Of course, the use of expanding bullets changes the SD after expansion, but it gives us a starting place in what to expect from a load.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links