Defensive Carry banner

Test of Gold Dot, Federal HSTs, and Fiocchi EMB Ammo

12K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Geobob 
#1 ·
Hello all

I performed a performance test on four 9mm hollow points and wold like to share the results. Ammo tested was Speer Gold Dot 147 grain, Federal Tactical HST 124 gr and 147 gr, and Fiocchi Extrema EMB 92 gr. The Federal were tested using 3 one-gallon jugs filled with bentonite slurry (a drilling gel) with a gallon jug of water catcher, with two layers of denim over the first jug. The Gold Dot and Fiocchi were tested by firing vertically into a 4" PVC pipe filled with 12" to 16" of bentonite gel capped top end with cloth and denim, and bottom end with strechable nylon (to hold in the bentonite). The PVC pipe was mounted atop a 5-gallon bucket of water (see comments below pics on this device setup).

The Federal 147 and 124 exhibited the greatest apparent expansion. The Gold Dot did not open as much and appeared to use less of the bullet. The Fiocchi EMB also has a nice expansion. None of the bullets were adversely affected by the denim or cotton.

Here is top view of all four bullets
Plant Tree Flower

Here is side view of all four bullets
Ammunition Bullet Metal

Here is an oblique view of all four bullets
Ammunition Bullet Plant Gun accessory Metal

The 4" PVC pipe setup didn't work well, as the force/energy exerted within the gel was too much for the PVC setup. The first round blew the top fabric off (held on with hose clamps) and spewed bentonite gel out (the pipe was full of gel). After setting back up with less bentonite inside, the second round (fiocchi) actually caused the PVC to split and break apart. Since the Fiocchi has a "petal" pushes against the bullet body, it's possible it was deflected against the side of the PVC pipe.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great test and results.

I started out doing very similar stuff, but ran the pipe into a catch box. I used hyper absorbent polymer crystals in place of bentonite.

Different pipe denim clamp set ups.

Bullet catch boxes behind the pipe:

First set of caught bullets with this rig:

The clamp would always blow back and the plastic boxes would last about 4 shots before being blown apart by the energy dump. Pass throughs were a disaster.

Keep working on it. You may be the one that finally figures out how to build a box that doesn't blow up.

#3 ·
Man, I wish I could home test my 147 HSTs. Living in the city precludes me from fun, educational firearms experiments.

Would anyone be interested in mailing me a nice-looking, expanded 147g Federal HST so I may have one for my own curiosity? I could pay, or maybe mail you back an unfired round, I've got a few boxes. :smile:

#4 ·
I live in a residential area and had to go to a distant range and set up on the skeet side (no activity there) with a step stook for my setup. Good thing, since when the first round blew out the bentonite gel it made a mess, and when the PVC cracked and fell apart it was really a mess. I think a metal pipe setup of larger diameter would work better. I do like Ljutic's clamp setup with the rubber caps. I just used the hose clamps around the fabric itself. Should have taken a picture before firing the first time. My goal was to have setup where the bullet just went through cloth, gel, and water without going through layers of plastic (as from milk jugs). Given the results, I may just try a taller mini-drum of water with denim stretched across it and clamped securely. Certainly less messy. British Agent, if I had extra flowers I'd be happy to send you one, but only have the ones you see in the pics. I want to get more "made up" as I think particularly the Federal 147s would make a nice set of cufflinks. Here are some close up individual pics of the bullets:

Bullet Ammunition Leaf Tree Metal
Bullet Ammunition Copper Brass Metal
Chocolate Praline Hazelnut Nut Food
Bullet Ammunition Product Gun accessory Metal

Reactions: BritishAgent
#6 ·
It would have been interesting to see what the 124gr. GD would have done.
I think it would have opened up more with the extra FPS.

Hats off to you backyard ballisticians.

I have the place to putzz, just not a real desire.

#7 ·
Lyodbraun - I used a bentonite clay (a drilling additive) slurry mixed very thick to fire into. It's a mess to paw through looking for bullets, so pass through is best with a water catcher. Those are great "flowers" - what are the top and second silvery ammo brands and caliber?

Is your clear gel reusable?

#8 ·
Yes the Clear gel is resusable, go to Clear Ballistics - Ballistic Gel Manufacturer - and find out more info on it, works great, in the top pic, the two brass ones are Lehigh Defense Max Expansion, in .45ACP, below is Federal HST's left to right, .45, .40. 9mm, bottom pic is left to right at top .45 ranger T's then HST, left of quarter is speer gold dot .45, below quarter is spear gold dot 185gr, then a HST in .40 S&W..

#11 ·
Ljutic et.al. - thanks so very much for the great info, videos, and posting. Much appreciated. I will check out the clear gel. Please post results of your testing here now and again........ will also check your blog for more of the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.