Test of Gold Dot, Federal HSTs, and Fiocchi EMB Ammo

This is a discussion on Test of Gold Dot, Federal HSTs, and Fiocchi EMB Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all I performed a performance test on four 9mm hollow points and wold like to share the results. Ammo tested was Speer Gold Dot ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Geobob
  • 1 Post By Geobob

Thread: test of Gold Dot, Federal HSTs, and Fiocchi EMB Ammo

test of Gold Dot, Federal HSTs, and Fiocchi EMB Ammo

Hello all

I performed a performance test on four 9mm hollow points and wold like to share the results. Ammo tested was Speer Gold Dot 147 grain, Federal Tactical HST 124 gr and 147 gr, and Fiocchi Extrema EMB 92 gr. The Federal were tested using 3 one-gallon jugs filled with bentonite slurry (a drilling gel) with a gallon jug of water catcher, with two layers of denim over the first jug. The Gold Dot and Fiocchi were tested by firing vertically into a 4" PVC pipe filled with 12" to 16" of bentonite gel capped top end with cloth and denim, and bottom end with strechable nylon (to hold in the bentonite). The PVC pipe was mounted atop a 5-gallon bucket of water (see comments below pics on this device setup).

The Federal 147 and 124 exhibited the greatest apparent expansion. The Gold Dot did not open as much and appeared to use less of the bullet. The Fiocchi EMB also has a nice expansion. None of the bullets were adversely affected by the denim or cotton.

Here is top view of all four bullets
    GoldDot-Federal-Fiocchi_Top_Oct12.JPG

Here is side view of all four bullets
    GoldDot-Federal-Fiocchi_Side2_Oct12.JPG

Here is an oblique view of all four bullets
    GoldDot-Federal-Fiocchi_TopObliq_Oct12.JPG

The 4" PVC pipe setup didn't work well, as the force/energy exerted within the gel was too much for the PVC setup. The first round blew the top fabric off (held on with hose clamps) and spewed bentonite gel out (the pipe was full of gel). After setting back up with less bentonite inside, the second round (fiocchi) actually caused the PVC to split and break apart. Since the Fiocchi has a "petal" pushes against the bullet body, it's possible it was deflected against the side of the PVC pipe.
    Ljutic and BritishAgent like this.

2. Remove Ads

Great test and results.

I started out doing very similar stuff, but ran the pipe into a catch box. I used hyper absorbent polymer crystals in place of bentonite.

Different pipe denim clamp set ups.

Bullet catch boxes behind the pipe:

First set of caught bullets with this rig:

The clamp would always blow back and the plastic boxes would last about 4 shots before being blown apart by the energy dump. Pass throughs were a disaster.

Keep working on it. You may be the one that finally figures out how to build a box that doesn't blow up.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Man, I wish I could home test my 147 HSTs. Living in the city precludes me from fun, educational firearms experiments.

Would anyone be interested in mailing me a nice-looking, expanded 147g Federal HST so I may have one for my own curiosity? I could pay, or maybe mail you back an unfired round, I've got a few boxes.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

I live in a residential area and had to go to a distant range and set up on the skeet side (no activity there) with a step stook for my setup. Good thing, since when the first round blew out the bentonite gel it made a mess, and when the PVC cracked and fell apart it was really a mess. I think a metal pipe setup of larger diameter would work better. I do like Ljutic's clamp setup with the rubber caps. I just used the hose clamps around the fabric itself. Should have taken a picture before firing the first time. My goal was to have setup where the bullet just went through cloth, gel, and water without going through layers of plastic (as from milk jugs). Given the results, I may just try a taller mini-drum of water with denim stretched across it and clamped securely. Certainly less messy. British Agent, if I had extra flowers I'd be happy to send you one, but only have the ones you see in the pics. I want to get more "made up" as I think particularly the Federal 147s would make a nice set of cufflinks. Here are some close up individual pics of the bullets:

Fed147_TopOblq_Oct12.JPG FiochEMB_Base2_Oct12.JPG FiochEMB_Top_Oct12.JPG GoldDot_TopOblq_Oct12.JPG
    BritishAgent likes this.

Re: test of Gold Dot, Federal HSTs, and Fiocchi EMB Ammo

Nice what is it your using to shoot into??? I use clear gel from clear ballistics.. Works wonders...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    It would have been interesting to see what the 124gr. GD would have done.
    I think it would have opened up more with the extra FPS.

Hats off to you backyard ballisticians.

I have the place to putzz, just not a real desire.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Lyodbraun - I used a bentonite clay (a drilling additive) slurry mixed very thick to fire into. It's a mess to paw through looking for bullets, so pass through is best with a water catcher. Those are great "flowers" - what are the top and second silvery ammo brands and caliber?

Is your clear gel reusable?

Quote Originally Posted by Geobob View Post
    Lyodbraun - I used a bentonite clay (a drilling additive) slurry mixed very thick to fire into. It's a mess to paw through looking for bullets, so pass through is best with a water catcher. Those are great "flowers" - what are the top and second silvery ammo brands and caliber?

Yes the Clear gel is resusable, go to Clear Ballistics - Ballistic Gel Manufacturer - and find out more info on it, works great, in the top pic, the two brass ones are Lehigh Defense Max Expansion, in .45ACP, below is Federal HST's left to right, .45, .40. 9mm, bottom pic is left to right at top .45 ranger T's then HST, left of quarter is speer gold dot .45, below quarter is spear gold dot 185gr, then a HST in .40 S&W..

I just use several of the 1/2 gal. cardboard orange juice/milk cartons lined up to expand and catch the bullet. Takes about 12 to stop the typical JHP. Of course, I have little ones helping me out by drinking so much OJ and milk so the cartons tend to accumulate at an amazing rate.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by Geobob View Post

If you have the time and inclination to learn more about the clear gel test medium that lyodbraun and I are using, I have two posts on it. This gel has really taken my testing to the next level. One of my blocks is on it's third recycle and it's still looking good. I hope to discover the upper limit on number of reuses at some point in the future. If you decide to try it, use the special discount code the Clear Ballistics guys set up for my blog readers. It's at the bottom of every blog post.

Pocket Guns and Gear: My Ballistics testing Future Is Now Clear

Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Ballistics Gel testing Update

Here's a link to another ammo test I published last night.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal testing Federal Premium 45 Auto 230 Grain HST
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Ljutic et.al. - thanks so very much for the great info, videos, and posting. Much appreciated. I will check out the clear gel. Please post results of your testing here now and again........ will also check your blog for more of the same.

Links