Do you anticipate an ammo shortage?

This is a discussion on Do you anticipate an ammo shortage? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dbglock And the NRA will just sit back and watch that happen? I believe Russ owns too many Congressman to see that ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Do you anticipate an ammo shortage?

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    And the NRA will just sit back and watch that happen? I believe Russ owns too many Congressman to see that happen. Remember, Republicans have a huge advantage in the House.
    I don't assume he will involve congress and make it constitutional. He likes going around that little hurdle - czars, executive orders as examples. To him the constitution is an obstacle to his ideology.
    rson63 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Scramble4a5 View Post
    I don't assume he will involve congress and make it constitutional. He likes going around that little hurdle - czars, executive orders as examples. To him the constitution is an obstacle to his ideology.
    Poor guy can't win. The Brady Bunch gave him an "F" for being too pro-gun and you give him an "F" (figuratively) for being too anti-gun. Why anybody would want another four years of that crap is beyond me.

Brady's Obama Report

In a few months, when we all still have our guns, the suppliers will be smiling while we wonder why ammo has gotten so expensive so quickly. :)

In a few months I will still have ton's of Social Ammo and another ton of ammo components before any taxing can occur. Yes I bought early and often in the last 6 years with powder,primers and bullets. I already had enough brass. Now that my brother has thrown in his stash we are flush in my off premise loading facility. I have enough at home for any invasion and the off premise reloading and stash facility makes it easy to meet the insurance requirements for having too much hazardous stuff in the house. This is like having too much gasoline in the garage. City limits say 10 gallons is max. I have another 10 gallons in the off premise facility just in case.
    Last edited by Blue Thunder; November 8th, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

The short answer is Yes I see an ammo shortage for those that did not stock up in the last few years and those that do not stock for reloaded ammo. Folks the Ammo Tax is coming now in the next 4 years and it maybe included into some other OBama program that they don't want us to read all the way thru. This is why I have a large stock of Target Shooting Pieces to make ammo from and a ton of "Social Ammo". Read carefully and buy carefully.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I believe a price increase is more likely than a shortage........
    discoboxer likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

There will indeed be a shortage, and price increases will result. The shortage will be created by people doing "panic buying," so in that sense, yes it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. What we will see after the dust settles will be a mix of good news/bad news. The good news is that as has already been said, the shortage should be fairly short lived. The bad news is that prices will probably not come back down to prior levels. At some point, but I predict not right away, I also believe that Obama will try to tax ammo out of the reach of most buyers.

I went to my local Walmart to check out how much of the ammo was sold out. The only thing sold out was the 9mm Winchester PDX, which is always sold out here. I've been trying to pick up a couple more boxes for a while. The rest of the ammo was well stocked. I ended up picking up 750 rounds of 9mm because I was getting low, but even after that, there was still at least a half a dozen of each type sitting there.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    After reading this article I'm about to side with the fringe and go on a buying spree. Hard to take what they don't know I have.

Senator Dianne Feinstein Moves To Ban ALL Assault Rifles, High Capacity Magazines, and Pistol Grips (NASDAQ:SWHC, NYSE:RGR) | Market Daily News
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Do you anticipate an ammo shortage?

a GUN ban is on people's mind so the first thing they do is horde ammo?

We (gun owners) are our own worst enemy. While I agree that our unstable political gods have ill will towards guns, I can't go buy Lapierre a new car everytime he pulls a chicken little.

Ammo prices go up at the same rate as everything else. Actually, at Walmart a 100 round box of Federal 9mm has been $19.99 for months, but I bought a package of lunch meat for 50 cents more than i paid last week.

I hope the one's of you who think there will not be a shortage or whatever are right. I just know I love collecting my guns and shooting them. Wouldn't it be nice if we could enjoy all that stuff without worrying about all the political crap?

Donnie D
    TVille likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    After reading this article I'm about to side with the fringe and go on a buying spree. Hard to take what they don't know I have.

Senator Dianne Feinstein Moves To Ban ALL Assault Rifles, High Capacity Magazines, and Pistol Grips (NASDAQ:SWHC, NYSE:RGR) | Market Daily News
    Reports which cite "I don’t have the minutes of the meeting (yet), but sources tell me" and "This same “pretty good intelligence” says the items that would lead to" from a shtf site lack a certain objectivity.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

There may or may not be a shortage but if there is it will be one that we, not the government, create. Panic buying will cause shortages. Manufacturers make ammo, not the government. The government has lots of armed agencies that must qualify and practice. Of course they will buy ammo and who do they buy it from? They buy it from the very same people you and me do. Relax. The manufacturers will continue to produce and people will continue to buy. I seriously doubt it is a government plot to get your ammo.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    No, not like the last election.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I had my eye on some 128 grain Aquila at SG ammo. They had 28K of it in 50 cal ammo cans and 30+ k of it in regular boxes. It was all gone in 2 days. That is something like 55,000 rounds of one kind of ammo in 2 days! When you scroll through their lists they are LOTS of 0 qtys available.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links