Do you anticipate an ammo shortage?

This is a discussion on Do you anticipate an ammo shortage? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought about 25,000 rounds from SGammo over the past few months. They HAD lots of government contract ammo that didn't go through. 1000 round ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Do you anticipate an ammo shortage?

I bought about 25,000 rounds from SGammo over the past few months. They HAD lots of government contract ammo that didn't go through. 1000 round cases of federal 180 grain 40 cal @$225 - federal 124 grain 9mm @ $215 - Federal LE HST 180 grain @ $380. I bought it up as I thought that was the best price I might see for the rest of my life.

SGammo has been great to me although I doubt I will see the prices I previously bought at. I got remington golden sabers for my .357 @ $14 for 25. My LGS wanted $35 for that box.

I'm ready for SHTF or several years of target practice as I have amassed about 60,000 rounds. A baseball bat is better than a gun without ammo, call me crazy but I got it while the getting was good.

2. Remove Ads

I was just on SG ammo's site and they have restocked a bunch of the 9mm stuff including the 128 grain Aquila. Time to place an order!

Re: Do you anticipate an ammo shortage?

In general and in short, no I don't think there will be a shortage. I can also say with asbolute certainty that there isn't an ammo shortage here in this house. :D

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

absolutely, then a huge price/tax increase.

Nope, not at all. There will be short-term higher prices, but I don't expect shortages. The manufactures have ramped up and you can get good deals on ammo in almost every caliber. I wish they'd start mass producing .45 though.

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I was just on SG ammo's site and they have restocked a bunch of the 9mm stuff including the 128 grain Aquila. Time to place an order!
    What is the consensus on Aquila ammo? I've not used it yet.
    "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die." Joe Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    I bought about 25,000 rounds from SGammo over the past few months. They HAD lots of government contract ammo that didn't go through. 1000 round cases of federal 180 grain 40 cal @$225 - federal 124 grain 9mm @ $215 - Federal LE HST 180 grain @ $380. I bought it up as I thought that was the best price I might see for the rest of my life.

SGammo has been great to me although I doubt I will see the prices I previously bought at. I got remington golden sabers for my .357 @ $14 for 25. My LGS wanted $35 for that box.

I'm ready for SHTF or several years of target practice as I have amassed about 60,000 rounds. A baseball bat is better than a gun without ammo, call me crazy but I got it while the getting was good.
    I order 9mm through SG all the time. I carry Golden Saber ammo and they have it in stock for a good price, they even have some of the bonded stuff. 5.56 is always hit or miss with them though, which is understandable with the current "climate".

I would expect some price fluctuations for a short period because of panic buying, but I'm not sure how long it might last. The last 4 years didn't bring an end to gun ownership and hopefully other issues will keep the spotlight away from guns in the next 4.

Do you anticipate an ammo shortage?

I have not noticed any shortages

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yep..I'm keeping at least 500 rounds per caliber. (9mm, .380 acp, 40 S&W, .22 long, and twelve gauge. ) Should be good.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    From what I can tell, 5.56 is already scarce. Its not impossible to get but its not exactly plentiful. I hope it gets better soon.

* manufacturers have upped their capacity since 2008
    * many of us, have been collecting up ammo gradually since then.
    * so , many of us won't joing the panic buy syndrone either.

So, shouldn't be anything new really.... don't expect much change in it. Probably less "sales" on ammo for a little while.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockymonster View Post
    What is the consensus on Aquila ammo? I've not used it yet.
    I've shot tons of their 9mm and 45ACP. It shoots a little dirty and the brass quality doesn't seem as good as other brands. Nevertheless, it shoots well at a good price. In the price range, I'd consider PMC to be only slightly better.

I have more ammo in all three types: .40S&W, 7.63x39mm, and 12 ga (bird, buck, slug) than I've ever had before. But I'm not a Henny Penny, I just don't want to go to the range again and run out of ammo for any of my guns. Last time it was SKS. My wife and kids were having a blast with it but I only had three boxes (20 per) and we ran out fast. Won't happen again anytime soon.

Ex Member
    Shortage? Hell I think I caused it.

1MoreGoodGuy and Carvin66 like this.

1 old 0311, I see you even snapped a shot of your ammo delivery for your avatar. Nice touch. I hope your subfloor is concrete.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links