Defensive Carry banner

"Girl Bullets" from Hornady?

16K views 50 replies 35 participants last post by  Oldpsufan 
#1 ·
Interesting concept and for a good cause:

Interesting how Hornady is really trying to market to core customer bases.

#2 ·
Hmm.... that's nifty. Wouldn't mind trying a few of those just to see how different the recoil really is.

But, out of a longer barrel, wouldn't the lighter round have a higher velocity? Might be similar velocities from a short barrel, but shouldn't it be higher from a longer barrel?

#13 ·
If it's the same price point, effectively does the same damage, provides the potential for people not to be afraid to shoot and anticipate recoil (flinch), AND they give a portion to breast cancer research.. is it still a gimmick round? Probably, but to each their own, I guess.

#7 ·
All women, who choose to carry a pink gun shooting pink ammo, should always empty the gun into vital areas as the BG will never be able to live it down in prison. Be kind out there!

#9 ·
If they accomplish the same thing with a lighter recoil then there will be better controllability and less flinching which could cause misses especially in SD situations.As always you need to practice with your firearm regularly

Reactions: CeltKnight
#12 ·
That's what I was thinking. Probably by adjusting the sight picture.

#16 ·
So, in the same instant you shoot to defend your life, you are also saying "I support breast cancer research, now DIE!!"

Maybe not that exactly, but you get the idea...

#20 ·
Hornady may through out some gimmicks, but you know what? I think they're kind of cool. I totally grabbed a box of zombie ammo to keep in the ammo box and not use.
I love their disclaimer:

Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 45 Auto :: 45 Auto 185 gr Z-MAX™

#18 ·
Can't watch the video at the moment but from those who posted, I pretty much get the point.

I have no problems with gimmicks. Companies are in business to make money, not go broke. Also, I'm glad to hear some proceeds go to breast cancer (5 HR energy is doing this too with a pink lemonade flavor) is pretty cool. I have 4 breast cancer survivors in my family.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.

#23 ·
So what are we looking at? 6-8in of penetration?

Better than a pencil, sure, but come on!

Ladies (and "all shooters"), get yourself a real round, you're not shooting this as a hand massage, you're shooting it while fighting for your life.

You wont care about the extra recoil, but you just might care about the lack of penetration.

#24 ·
That girl's nails were heeeelllla tacky!

They are definitely pretty! I wonder if they really make a difference in the recoil. Maybe if I had used these, I would have gotten a J-frame after all.

It's a moot point since my EDC has no issues with recoil.

They had to of course throw the breast cancer research support in to drive the marketing point home...

I'd still take the zombie bullets, though.

Also:

6-8 inches sounds pretty significant to me. I don't know about you, but there's only one thing I want 6-8 inches of penetrating me, and it sho ain't a bullet.

....TMI?

#26 ·
If you have to ask TMI afterwards, probably is.

Reactions: LaraCroft10
#27 ·
Look, to each their own, that's not MY thing, but I can understand.lol

Well, BULLETS (from a gun) ideally penetrate 12-15 inches (someone correct me if I'm wrong). And of course the number I'm discussing is penetration in ordnance gel, and in the real world may penetrate much less.

#28 ·
Let me know when they have a lead poisoning awareness marketing scheme. I'll buy a case of em.

Reactions: FoggyGoggles
#29 ·
#30 ·
My personal target penetration in...uhhhh... self defense rounds is 15 inches. I have personally seen plenty of underpenetration terminal ballistics to include .45 hardball stopped by in one case a foot and another a knee. A 90 grain .38 bullet just isn't gonna have the horsepower to get there. Low recoil at the cost of decreased penetration has the potential to equal 6 feet if used in the wrong circumstances. Just sayin'.

#33 ·
I like the idea of supporting breast cancer research, but I question the use of lighter bullets in this loading. I know that the concept was to create a lower recoiling round but at what cost? You are basically castrating what is a pretty good defensive caliber. Of course, since these are being marketed to women, I suppose a "castrated" load is appropriate.:tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.