Defense rounds for winter weather - Page 2

Defense rounds for winter weather

This is a discussion on Defense rounds for winter weather within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RevolvingMag Federal Premium - Handgun Details Problem solved. It's not a hollow point, so you don't have to worry about clogging, feed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Defense rounds for winter weather

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Federal Premium - Handgun Details

Problem solved. It's not a hollow point, so you don't have to worry about clogging, feed issues, or whether it will disintegrate. It's not a full metal jacket, so you don't really have to worry about over penetration.

I carry them in my 1911 to completely avoid feed issues. I haven't been able to set up to test them for myself yet, but the theory is sound.
    You mean these?

Pocket Guns and Gear: Federal Premium 45 Auto +P 200 Grain EFMJ - Terminal test

I have a couple boxes of the 124 +P 9mm that I want to test at some point.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I carry a 9mm in warm weather and a .45 in cold weather.
    Jetman45 likes this.

You also have to remember that these rounds are also rotating and those with the most metal sharp edges sticking will cause the greatest wound cavity as they dig the biggest holes in the process of going thru the medium. My take is the Ranger T's that are now stoked in all my CCW Street Guns. The recovered pictures of them thru layers of dennium (out on the internet) and into gel is fantastic. Lots of pointy edges churning up many internal issues..... In the 1990's I changed ammo based on the time of the season, now I carry only one, Ranger T's.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

A quick review indicates that I don't carry any ammunition that I wouldn't be confident carrying in winter.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

2 to the chest and 1 to the head, that should do the trick
    Jetman45 likes this.

Just be sure your "winter ammunition" comes with ear muffs and you will A-OK....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Just about any of the "premium" defensive loads use bullets that will perform well, even with heavy clothing. I use "heavy-for-caliber" loads already, so I do not change them out for winter. They are in my carry guns year round.
    Jetman45 likes this.

Ex Member
    Oh yea. My summer carry is a S&W 360PD with .38+P. Winter gets a K frame loaded HOT.

Remember too that someone who has been in the cold (i.e. your "bad guy" maybe) will have smaller blood vessels and less blood flowing throughout the extremities. Human targets that are cold take longer to bleed out. That is one reason Mas Ayoob recommends .45acp for winter carry. That said, today's modern ammo does pretty well and the Federal HST 147gr would be a very, very solid carry load.
    Jetman45 likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

VIP Member
    Same in the summer as in the winter - 147gr Golden Sabers. I don't worry our fret about the clothing factor.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    You mean these?

Pocket Guns and Gear: Federal Premium 45 Auto +P 200 Grain EFMJ - Terminal test

I have a couple boxes of the 124 +P 9mm that I want to test at some point.
    Yes. Only mine came in a blue box that says "Guard Dog". But, from all that I've seen, that's the best thing- something that will expand and can't get too clogged to do so.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My 9mm works fine here in Florida. Body armor? Do we have to start carrying armor-piercing ammo now?

For Winter carry, Federal Hydra Shok in .45ACP 230 gr, and .40 cal 180 gr. Hollow Point, For deep penetration and knock down power!!

VIP Member
    Seriously, everyone, does it really make a difference? A downy coat and a sweatshirt?

What next? Carry two guns all the time - one loaded for "light clothing" and the other for "heavy clothing"???? After all, a thug can wear a heavy coat in the summer, too.

I can see carrying a larger gun in winter if you live up north, primarily because it's easier to conceal as you will often be wearing a heavy coat.

But c'mon - KISS.

Unless The North Face starts selling kevlar lined ski jackets I don't think this really matters. Regardless of the weather I'm confident that if the two in the chest don't stop him, the one in the head will.
    Jetman45 and CharlesMorri like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links