Defense rounds for winter weather

This is a discussion on Defense rounds for winter weather within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have almost always carried a .45 so I have never really thought about this concern, but recently I have started carrying a 9mm Beretta ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Defense rounds for winter weather

Defense rounds for winter weather

I have almost always carried a .45 so I have never really thought about this concern, but recently I have started carrying a 9mm
    Beretta 92. I have had it for years, I shoot it well, and I like it. My question concerns something that I hope I never have to find
    out about first hand. How well does a 9mm defensive round work in cold weather when everyone is wearing heavy winter jackets
    worn over sweaters or vests that are worn over some other kind of shirt. Will it penetrate sufficiently? How reliable is expansion?
    (It gets cold in Minnesota)

I apologize if this is a stupid question or one that has been asked before, but I always figured a .45 is still a big thump no matter how many layers of clothing it must go through. I wasn't so sure about a 9mm.

2. Remove Ads

That question covers quite an array of scenario. I would advise doing some Google research on 9mm vs. .45 to compare the different penetrations of different ammo through different materials to find your own answer to your specifics.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I live in the North East and carry Cor Bon DPX in all of my defensive guns. I trust this round with my life year round.

The biggest concern with heavy clothing and defense rounds is not whether or a 9mm will penetrate or not. Of course it will. The problem comes when using hollow points. With the heavier clothing, a standard hollow point can become plugged and not expand sufficiently. There have been different companies come out with new ammunition that takes this into account. Look into Hornady Critical Defense, as well as others that I don't know about .

A 9mm will be just as sufficient as a .45.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

There have been a few of these threads, and I still believe the same two things.

Carry the heavy load for your caliber (whatever caliber it is), so carry 147gr.

If you're concerned about winter clothing, I would think plugging would be your main problem, so get a round that has resisted plugging in testing.

I've never been a fan of Hornady, I think they're more focused on marketing that innovative products, but this ammo is about as plug-proof as they come, unfortunately, 135gr is their heaviest: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 9mm Luger+P :: 9MM LUGER+P 135 gr FlexLock® Critical DUTY®

There is a non +P version of this as well, but with a lighter round, I'd feel more comfortable with the extra velocity.

Personally, I carry 147gr Fed HST year round, the non +P flavor. They just seem to work, although I would feel comfortable with any of the Gold Dot products any time of the year as well.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I had similar questions so I ran a test through 3 layers of Pigskin leather and 2 layers of denim. Using Gold Dots in 124 9mm, 165 40 S&W, and 125 .357 Sig. All shot from Glock 26,27 length barrels. I was really surprised by the results. The only one that fully expanded was the .357 Sig. Brute force solution is to pick up a Sig 239 in 357 Sig for Winter Carry.

Alternate solution is to run these in my PM40 or G27.
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Hornady Critical Duty 40 S&W 175 Grain FlexLock Terminal test

I also tested the 9mm version and it did pretty well.
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135 Grain Standard and +P test
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I live over in St Paul and have switched from summer to winter. My 638 is the bedroom gun and I carry the 92 now.
    I like the 147 gr HST, heavy and in my experience, reliable.

In very unscientific tests with friends (who did not act as targets ) the 124 gr HST works well too. A Glock friend on the range swears by Gold Dots in mid to heavy weight. The critical Defense did not seem to have quite as much expansion, but it never plugged. I think it only comes in 115 gr.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You punch a hole in a BG in any weather and he'll tend to leave you alone. This topic is way over thought. That winter coat won't make him bullet proof.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member

Re: Defense rounds for winter weather

Agree 100% with OldVet. I carry the same ammo year round for my .357sig.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Ljutic,
    The 357sig gold dot round you tested appears to be the 6 petal version that you tested. But just want to make sure. I have both versions of the gold dot in that caliber. Have you compared both loads next to each other by chance? I know the 6 petal version runs 25fps faster or so and it supposed to penetrate more than the 5 petal while giving up some expansion. Just wondering if you have seen that in your testing also... And how much differance to expect between the two in penetration and expansion. If you haven't tested them yourself... Do you know of any tests comparing them online anywhere? I only see balistics gel data on ATK's website for the 5 petal version. Would be nice to see the two compared at the same time.
    Also. Thanks for sharing your tests as always. I appreciate it.

The 357 Sig was rolled by Underwood and is the 6 petal version. I am just learning about the 357 Sig and even though I have a box of Speer GD 357 Sig here, I didn't realize there were two different bullets. I'll be doing more 357 Sig tests after I get one. Right now I just use a conversion barrel in my G27.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldy49 View Post
    I have almost always carried a .45 so I have never really thought about this concern, but recently I have started carrying a 9mm
    Beretta 92. I have had it for years, I shoot it well, and I like it. My question concerns something that I hope I never have to find
    out about first hand. How well does a 9mm defensive round work in cold weather when everyone is wearing heavy winter jackets
    worn over sweaters or vests that are worn over some other kind of shirt. Will it penetrate sufficiently? How reliable is expansion?
    (It gets cold in Minnesota)

I apologize if this is a stupid question or one that has been asked before, but I always figured a .45 is still a big thump no matter how many layers of clothing it must go through. I wasn't so sure about a 9mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    The biggest concern with heavy clothing and defense rounds is not whether or a 9mm will penetrate or not. Of course it will. The problem comes when using hollow points. With the heavier clothing, a standard hollow point can become plugged and not expand sufficiently. There have been different companies come out with new ammunition that takes this into account. Look into Hornady Critical Defense, as well as others that I don't know about .

A 9mm will be just as sufficient as a .45.
    Federal Premium - Handgun Details

Problem solved. It's not a hollow point, so you don't have to worry about clogging, feed issues, or whether it will disintegrate. It's not a full metal jacket, so you don't really have to worry about over penetration.

I carry them in my 1911 to completely avoid feed issues. I haven't been able to set up to test them for myself yet, but the theory is sound.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Ljutic,

I'll be looking forward to your results when you test them. I'll be doing my own backyard test soon also.
    It frustrates me that Speer sells the 5 petal limited penetration gold dot round in this caliber to civilians when most all of the real street cred has come from the gold dot round with the 6 petals from what I've read. At least the six petal version from Speer and others can usually be found online..

Thanks to everyone. I have received some good information. I guess it was hollow point plugging that I was mostly worrying about. My 92 might get some winter carry. Thanks.

Its not so much the gun its whats in it, i use hornady hollow point +9 on my 642, its all seasonal beast !! Check the avatar.... Yea boy!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links